• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeding wheat in the dry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeding wheat in the dry

What does everyone do when seeding into a dry weather forecast?

We are already dry as a bone here and it’s not even normal seeding start times. We have been seeding almost a week now.

Seeding deeper than I normally would. About 2”.

Does anyone change seed rates? Increase rate expecting high seedling loss or decrease rate to help crops not to have to fight for scarce water resource?

I am still laying down heavy fert but wonder about cutting back given the bleak outlook.

Anyone have some tips?

Well if you are super dry right now and think that rain may not materialize.....now would be the time to put enough P and N with the crop to get it started, then stage fertilize according to moisture received.

You have a 4-6 week window. I have never done it myself because where I am we are usually ok for moisture... but I have heard it’s been a good plan to save money if you are heading for a wreck. If rain comes, apply liquid N or top dress fines.

Hope it rains for you soon and relieves the stress.

Comment

Ache, did the gaping cracks from last fall close?

Comment

If its year one of a drought for your area friends in Westside use to seed a little lighter and deeper. With starter fertilizer, you can always add later if it rains.

Year two of a drought seeded light and no fert and if it rained top dress.

Year three seed and go to the lake.

Drought sucks I worked in the drought area throughout the 80s I wish I took pictures back then as most wouldn't believe what it looked like.

Comment

Farma

Nope those big monsters are still open. Probably 50% closed compared to last fall but could still lose my pack of smokes down the crack...never to be seen again

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
            Farma

Nope those big monsters are still open. Probably 50% closed compared to last fall but could still lose my pack of smokes down the crack...never to be seen again
            That would be a good thing, no?

Ghetto dirt here isn't too bad...yet!

Comment

I've gone as deep as 5.5" looking to plant firmly into moisture... from seed to bottom of the packer trench is about 3" or so. Other than that I usually cross fingers and toes and pray to the almighty.

Comment

Remember in discer days seeding to the spools looking for moisture. Took awhile but came up and made a crop.

Comment

were going deep on everything, wheat no problem emerging from 2.5". canola going down almost 2" also. bone dry around here.

Comment

I sure hate mining for wet dirt to put seed but dusting it in can be foolhardy too. Damned if you damned if you don’t. You go and seed deep, cut fertilizer rate, and plan for a wreck then the heavens open up and you kick yourself for not taking the chance. Otherwise if it doesn’t rain you look smart. Oh the fun.

Comment

The moisture does not go deep, the snow only wet the top 4 inches under that powder. A seedling that reaches the surface has the resources to put down roots. Into powder...
                      Last edited by biglentil; May 5, 2018, 00:15.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                        The moisture does not go deep, the snow only wet the top 4 inches under that powder. A seedling that reaches the surface has the resources to put down roots. Into powder...
                        Seed into that or wait? That's a tough decision.
                        Scattered showers by the 11th may give some areas of SK as much as half an inch. Maybe some very local higher amounts. Forecasts aren't unanimous which usually means don't bet on it

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                          Seed into that or wait? That's a tough decision.
                          Scattered showers by the 11th may give some areas of SK as much as half an inch. Maybe some very local higher amounts. Forecasts aren't unanimous which usually means don't bet on it
                          Model trends seem negative since the end of March beginning of April as well. Forecast models (for here anyway) seem to always show precip 10-14 days out that continually diminishes the closer we get to the event.

Luckily we're plugging into warm, moist soil, but if there was little to no reserve I think I'd be bare balling and getting my hands on a spreader in the event it did rain later.

Comment

The moisture is sure f'ing off in a hurry. Seed into a inch of moisture 2 days later she dry. Hurricane winds and no moisture below to wick from aint pretty. Chase it deeper I guess but the gumbo hard pan is tough and packs poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                              The moisture is sure f'ing off in a hurry. Seed into a inch of moisture 2 days later she dry. Hurricane winds and no moisture below to wick from aint pretty. Chase it deeper I guess but the gumbo hard pan is tough and packs poorly.
                              Agree , much different than last year. Most areas had great subsoil.
                              This year completely different, except far NW Sask and other small pockets

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...