• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious

Now that the annual spring run of billions has started and will be reported here and other places regularly....does anyone else in this industry publicly report their daily plans?

Do railways announce what train they moved?

Do grain cos report future sales?

Does anyone report how there can be a shortage of innoculant. ?

Basically why do farmers tell the world what they are doing....no one else does....

What's worse is governments enable this nonsense with weekly reports and yet with the government being asked to intervene on the CP labour no one asked the railways for better public reporting....

We are the only industry mandated to report to our own detriment.
    Last edited by bucket; Apr 29, 2018, 08:22.

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Now that the annual spring run of billions has started and will be reported here and other places regularly....does anyone else in this industry publicly report their daily plans?

Do railways announce what train they moved?

Do grain cos report future sales?

Does anyone report how there can be a shortage of innoculant. ?

Basically why do farmers tell the world what they are doing....no one else does....

What's worse is governments enable this nonsense with weekly reports and yet with the government being asked to intervene on the CP labour no one asked the railways for better public reporting....

We are the only industry mandated to report to our own detriment.
    I don't tell anyone sfa

Comment

As I have said before there are all kinds of PARASITES in the ag industry whom have an opinion about what is or is not happening on the farm. HEY ASSHOLES, thats right, all of you whom make a living reporting about what is happening on the farm, SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!! IF YOUR NOT A FARMER SHUT UP!!!
      WHO HERE ON THIS FORUM IS A VOLUNTARY CROP REPORTER? PLEASE STOP IMMEDIATELY!!! OR DO US ALL A FAVOUR AND GO JUMP OFF A BRIDGE!! IT IS NO ONES BUSINESS WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THE FARM BESIDES THE FARMER WHO OWNES IT.
      Last edited by cuban_assassin; Apr 29, 2018, 13:03.

Comment

There's enough information available without farmers even saying a word. Crop Insurance, Ag Stability, Seed sales, NDVI, other satellite imagery, drones, feet on the ground, wheels on the road....

But why is it so important for everyone to know?

Duh...

Comment

Atta boy Cuban...I too am sick of all the people weighing in with non stop dramatic reporting. Farming is a slow business (1trip around the sun per year), low margin, high capital intensity business and everyone is working overtime to farm the farmer. I don’t read any of the garbage news in Ag...I find most useful information here. Don’t mention the so called experts reporter who farm 500 acres with a 40 year old tractor and offer expert advice.

I look at my whole financial and operating position and over the past 30 years....we have gone deep into debt and worked like hell to pay it off and back in again and repeat....looking at how much capital is tied up and what is left at the end is making it hard for me to keep up my equipment, compete in the land market, and still have something left for me.

I don’t use Agritend, or Decisive or or, I do my own research and walk my fields and try to keep that fee in my pocket....how does the people who just write cheques for all these things, trade the farm off every year and have any money left over....I guess I’m just not with the times. Just curious also.
          Last edited by Crestliner; Apr 29, 2018, 20:06.

Comment

Crestliner

Do you find the numbers not working anymore?

Higher prices for fuel, glyphosate ,inputs in general....

Lower prices for everything leaving....

I know I shouldn't be bitching but why does no one else take a paycut?

Rail doesn't take less when they do less or there is less to move?

Grain cos don't take less when they are late on taking grain they actually come out ahead with no commercial penalties to farmers.

Comment

I do understand your reluctance to report, nobody likes the big brother feeling. Having said that you guys that resist or fudge numbers to Statscan are the first guys to complain that their accuracy sucks.... Don't you see a connection there?? Instead of fighting the data use it to your advantage when marketing or choosing crops. The numbers are as good for you as they are for the other side, all you know is what's happening in your area and you can't go by that.

As for the profitability in farming, while first of all remember back to the late 90s and early 2000, things look pretty good now compared to then and that's not that long ago. If you are looking for someone to blame for lower ROI blame farmers as a whole, that's who has drove land prices, rents machinery etc all up.

Comment

Machinery, fuel, inputs are not set by the farmer ....all done by collusion tactics.

....nor is crop insurance, lack of an adequate farm program that every other country has.....

And could we discuss import tariffs that affect the bottom line?

Comment

GDR farmers are always late to the game and with land it was speculators and Chinese investors that started the uptrend then throw in some guys who won lotto max and sold business in the City or had oil backing money that moved in to drive the land higher then throw in new young guns coming home and dads who forgot how shitty the 80s were and Wola you have today's shit show were in.

Equipment just charged what stupid farmers were willing to pay.

Harrow bar over 100000 an auger at 30000 ah should be a zero dropped in both but that is what happened all along we still get paid 1920 prices but grow so much more.

HA Ha, it's a stupid game.

Comment

But bucket it's all in your best interest they know everything, ......to "serve" you better.

Reduces their risks while increasing their profits....

Comment

2000 to 2004 was 10 x worse than the past 5 years in this area.

West of here it was 2001 to 2004. They had a huge wet April snow in 2000 that saved their bacon.

Regardless, hope none of us see that again , but sooner or later we will.
                      Scary part is , total cost per ac since then has doubled or more. Risk factor now red lining . Oh and throw in a multitude of crop diseases that magically showed up lol.

Comment

To the comment about stats Canada and farmers lying etc.

Ah, its dry in a lot of Saskatchewan a 1/10 rain will do jack shit.

Overextended farmers aren't going to buy excess canola unless they are under the Input capital model.

Seed sales aren't at a record all-time high and why are best varieties still available.

Wheat will be up easy crop to grow inputs are ok seed costs are still reasonable for the time being and it can take dry weather better.

Barley is up in acres that's a no-brainer as guys move to the crop that provides the years before best return ah barley price for feed was great this last winter so has to be good next year.

oats have hit a wall with the games of Canada grows enough to keep the mills happy so the price has to stay at low levels.

Peas and lentils will drop but easy guys like to grow and what if India has issues the sales will be met.

Comment

I remember 2002 and 2004 frost years they scared the living shit out of me. You work so hard and mother nature screws it up one night. You change things fast and hopefully have deep pockets and good insurance. You find out real fast how useless some Fed programs are.

Talk to people who survived these two frost years and they took Millions out of Sask.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                            I remember 2002 and 2004 frost years they scared the living shit out of me. You work so hard and mother nature screws it up one night. You change things fast and hopefully have deep pockets and good insurance. You find out real fast how useless some Fed programs are.

Talk to people who survived these two frost years and they took Millions out of Sask.
                            Add 2 years of near wipe out drought in that time frame and see what scared the shit out of a guy is lol

Comment

http://gamblersanonymousregina.org/

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...