• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ammonium Sulphate Fines

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammonium Sulphate Fines

We have some land that requires high N to grow a crop of wheat , approx 100 lbs. We double shoot and have trouble putting over 65-70 lbs actual .We usually juice this land every year , but couldn't do it last fall because of pea straw . This will be going to canola next year for sure . I have three questions ;
    1) if we spread 200 lbs fines on , would this 42 lbs of sulphur hurt the wheat at all ?
    2) would we lose any of the sulphur that the wheat didn't use ?
    3) how many lbs of N do most people figure they get out of a 65bpa pea crop ?
    we could juice it this spring but juice price is ridiculous this spring . we float fines and juice all the ground going to canola every fall , just thought we could do it now instead of fall. .Maybe other options , top dress , etc .? anyone who has done this , or knows anything about it , sure would appreciate feedback , thanks ?

Case....I’d say go for it. Fines are a good price and if you have access to a floater at a decent cost or your own unit, it’s a great way to up the N and get things done fast.
    The S will be there next year (IMO) and you can soils test to confirm. Unless we have a crazy wet year and it pushes it down, it will be there at least 15-20 lbs S for your canola. Your land is heavy and nutrients don’t move round a lot.
    As far as peas Nitrogen fixing, I have seen 25-30 lbs actual available and have cut the rate by that much on the N and had awesome wheat crops behind peas. Many years when wheat prices were so poor, the only money we made on wheat was what we saved on N. I have also had very good canola crops after peas as well.
    My two cents for what it’s worth to you.

Comment

What are fines worth today in your area and who is selling them....there is a lot of games I find played with fines from year to year. This year I am seeding regular sulphur through my MRB and it gets a free ride. Many years the fines after or liquid after has been huge saving right before bolting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...