• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sarcan

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sarcan

so heard on radio Manitoba doesn't have a recycle program ? wtf what other provinces do? maybe sask is ahead of its time ! I think it's a good thing and for the people that work there.

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
    so heard on radio Manitoba doesn't have a recycle program ? wtf what other provinces do? maybe sask is ahead of its time ! I think it's a good thing and for the people that work there.

I wonder what it costs to recycle, but really its just hauling, sorting, repackaging and sending it by boat to China. After all that effort and energy cost, much of it gets loaded into a garbage truck and goes to the dump. Do you really think the energy expenditure has a positive bottom line. If the only reason we are doing this is to employ handicapped people, I would much rather fund work training programs that give them some satisfaction like greenhouses, food preparation, manufacturing skills. I thibk that it may be a big waste of time and money.

In our little town now instead of one garbage bin, we have 2 and 2 big trucks drive out every week to pick up half-full containers, then head across country to the next town. Think that is effecient?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
      I wonder what it costs to recycle, but really its just hauling, sorting, repackaging and sending it by boat to China. After all that effort and energy cost, much of it gets loaded into a garbage truck and goes to the dump. Do you really think the energy expenditure has a positive bottom line. If the only reason we are doing this is to employ handicapped people, I would much rather fund work training programs that give them some satisfaction like greenhouses, food preparation, manufacturing skills. I thibk that it may be a big waste of time and money.

In our little town now instead of one garbage bin, we have 2 and 2 big trucks drive out every week to pick up half-full containers, then head across country to the next town. Think that is effecient?
      ours getting hauled 60 miles to melfort !

Comment

Sumdumbguy
        wonder what it costs to recycle, but really its just hauling, sorting, repackaging and sending it by boat to China. After all that effort and energy cost, much of it gets loaded into a garbage truck and goes to the dump. Do you really think the energy expenditure has a positive bottom line. If the only reason we are doing this is to employ handicapped people, I would much rather fund work training programs that give them some satisfaction like greenhouses, food preparation, manufacturing skills. I thibk that it may be a big waste of time and money.

I have made the same argument to my wife but after reflection I came to the conclusion that most recycling workers are low function and if not "working" would be on straight welfare or aish and this way they have a purpose and feel better/fills their time.
        How many zero skill manufacturing or greenhouse jobs are in tiny town Alberta? (Edit: using a grinder is dangerous. Attention span is important) Some people can't be trained and unless you want to smack them on the head with a hammer this is the best choice to fill their time.
        Last edited by Ronski; Apr 25, 2018, 21:50.

Comment

Ours gets hauled 130 miles to Saskatoon! Real smart ...our landfill was a DANGEROUS POLLUTING HAZARD, only for last 100 years...

Comment

When I applied for a job at Sarcan they wouldn't let me work the receiving counter because my A.D.D. interfered with counting multiple types of containers at the same time and accurately keeping track without having to start over several times before I finished one customer!

They said I should be a farmer instead!

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
              Here in rural Northern Ontario, it all goes to the landfill. Some larger towns/cities try to save face and ship it out to Thunder Bay, which is a 250 mile haul one way - heavily, HEAVILY subsidized by government. To ship from this location, every recyclable consumer good is a money loser, other than aluminum cans every once in a while. But if fuel is high and aluminum is down, it can become a money loser too.

I am all for it if it is self-sustainable economically. But that is never the case.

Comment

The definition of most recycling is this:

The consumption of vast quantities of finite non renewable fossil fuels to turn small quantities of infinitely renewable commodities into inferior products.

If recycling didn't involve burning fossil fuels, I'd be all for it. But this is the ultimate definition of lunacy. Recycling paper from a tree by burning finite fossil fuels. Recycle metals, oil, reuse everything that can be reused, as many times as possible, and most importantly reduce the consumption which causes the garbage.

In recent months China has stated it no longer wants most of our garbage. There is virtually no market for most recycling at this point. municipalities are spending a large fortune on collecting segregated garbage, and it all ends up back in the same dump. Our tax dollars at work.

Comment

yep, huge waste and disappointment, it's all about making the consumer feel like they are doing something good at recycling. Most here goes to dump also but average Joe doesn't know that so feels no guilt of over using materials.

Fast food and children's toys have to be the worst garbage offenders, unreal amount of packaging.

Frickin carbon tax isn't gonna help the planet but I'd support one heck of a plastic tax.

Comment

Excessive packaging in bog box stores. I avoid going to the one big one here just for that reason. The package is 10x the size of the article and ite like breaking into Fort Knox to open the package once you get it home.

Comment

Obviouslyu china is still taking canadian waste?
                      Federal Environment Minister Josh Frydenberg is meeting with his state and territory counterparts today. Top of their agenda? The recycling crisis precipitated by the China “ban”.

States and councils around the country have been struggling since the imposition of import restrictions that exclude 99% of the recyclables that Australia previously sold to China.

Comment

china, making junk out of junk!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          china, making junk out of junk!
                          Ah but saving the planet.......then the chinese stuff gets chucked after a short working life creating more trash so back to original amount........

Were on the same songsheet farmaholic

On singing watch out for a you tube sometime soon will post on here of course.

Any of you older guys famililiar with a aussie band called the "angels" from the 80s/90s had a sone "am i ever gonna see your face again.

Written a a parady "am i ever gonna see it rain again" watch this space were called the "limestone cowboys"

Comment

I'll keep my eyes open for the Wine-stoned cowboys.....

Comment

We need to do something to reduce the amount of waste we produce.

We cant just keep burying it for ever. How about we start forcing the use of bio-degradable packaging where ever it is possible. Macdonalds is heading that way.

Recycling is going to cost money but the alternative is also expensive and dangerous in the long term. Filling the dump or the oceans with toxic waste is stupid.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.