• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HRS Declassification Continues! Who else thinks this is a big game.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HRS Declassification Continues! Who else thinks this is a big game.

Following a comprehensive evaluation, the Canadian Grain Commission has determined that 5 varieties of Canada Western Red Spring wheat will be reassigned to the Canada Northern Hard Red wheat class.

Scientific trials showed that gluten strength in these varieties was too low to meet the expectations of customers of Canadian wheat, and was reducing the overall quality of the Canada Western Red Spring wheat class.

Effective August 1, 2021, the following varieties will be reassigned to the Canada Northern Hard Red wheat class:

•AAC Redwater

•AC Domain

•Muchmore

•Vesper

•5605 HR CL

The Canadian Grain Commission is providing 3 years public notice before these changes come into effect, to give producers time to clear existing stocks and the opportunity to market these varieties while still assigned to the Canada Western Red Spring class.

The decision to reassign these varieties is based on a thorough evaluation of data collected during trials conducted across the three prairie provinces over two crop years. Each of the varieties was assessed for gluten strength relative to established benchmarks for the Canada Western Red Spring wheat class, and it was determined that these varieties do not meet the necessary quality parameters to remain in their current class.

The Canadian Grain Commission is committed to maintaining the quality of premium milling classes of wheat, such as Canada Western Red Spring. By ensuring that all varieties within the class meet specific quality parameters, we are helping to maintain Canada's reputation as a consistent supplier of high quality milling wheat, and ensuring Canadian producers are able to realize the benefits of growing premium classes.

Quotes

"With these changes, the Canadian Grain Commission has taken steps to protect the reputation and performance of one of the most sought-after wheat classes on the market. We have responded to concerns raised by our customers and this will ensure that Canada's wheat industry maintains its reputation as a consistent supplier of high quality milling wheat."

Patti Miller
    Chief Commissioner, Canadian Grain Commission

Quick facts

•As the federal agency responsible for ensuring grain quality, the Canadian Grain Commission's role is to ensure that varieties assigned to wheat classes reflect the end-use functionality needs of buyers of Canadian grain.

•In January 2015, the Canadian Grain Commission began implementing a plan to modernize Canada's wheat classes, which includes the evaluation of the quality of individual varieties within certain wheat classes and reassignment of varieties that do not meet quality parameters for that class.

•In consulting on this plan, the Canadian Grain Commission considered 45 formal written submissions from a diverse range of stakeholders representing more than 150 commodity and producer organizations, industry organizations, government departments, and domestic and international end users, as well as grain handlers/marketers, plant breeders, seed companies and seed growers.

•On August 1, 2018, 29 varieties of wheat that do not meet the revised quality parameters for their current classes will be reassigned to the Canada Northern Hard Red class. The variety AC Crystal will be reassigned to the Canada Northern Hard Red effective August 1, 2019.

Is it just me or are we farmers getting screwed again by industry all in the name of taking every single penny we can make for them and leaving us with now approaching nothing?

It seems that once the Canola gene was let out of the bottle and the industry saw how easy it was to screw farmers with this bullshit declassification of varieties. WTF its Canola and good ones yet once the patent is off they are gone. Soy you can still seed these.

Now fast forward and some genius who thinks he has the golden yield breaker but realistically its maybe a half better than before with zero better traits and they drop good varieties to a feed.

Ah, the games in Canada what a place to farm.

Ag is Dying thanks to Industry.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	766409

Comment

This is a big thing as farmers get ready to plant the 2018 crop some might not even realize that varieties they have and will seed are basically in the eyes of industry shit come fall of 2018.

Then at the elevator, you sign that you know in your heart that you have top-notch varieties till they test and then read the fine print you have shit you damaged a whole silo or even a boat and your screwed bye bye farm.

Ah, what a game all in the name of taking more cash from cash-strapped farmers.

Wow, what a game.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9355.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	766410

Comment

These varieties likely make up a small percentage of the total wheat acres seeded. There are so many varieties to choose from, designating a few off the red wheat list to me is not a big deal. New varieties have better traits than these, so moving them out when no one is growing them is not a big deal, at least to me.
        Gluten is a huge thing now and if these varieties are low better punt them.

Comment

I agree with you on some of the new ones. They do grow less straw and take the yield to Manitoba yields in Eastern Sask. But you would be surprised, No Shocked how many older ones on the list are getting seeded.

This is a game to get us all to buy new every year and pay pay pay for Canola.

Comment

I don't kniw anyone who grows those varieties either but its the slippery slope we're being forced to step on I'm concerned about.

Comment

Why the concern now and not when it was started 3 or 4 yrs ago? We were warned by some groups what would happen. Do a little research on who was in favor and who was against. Then follow the money.

Comment

It’s all about the “honor” system. I agree there is a lot growing illegally. I personally have never done it. I used to grow Navigator durum which you had to sell all seed and re-buy for the following year. It was all to do with having the highest purity. Well that was the biggest joke I heard. One year growing it and it was going to have other varieties mixed into it?? It was a big money maker for Viterra at the time. I quit growing it once my local Viterra went to Richardson. It had to be taken to MJ, so trucking would cost more which left me with less in my pocket.
                Neighbour of mine didn’t like buying the new seed every year so he bought from another neighbour who sold it as brand X. Viterra in those days drove around the country flagging the fields where farmers had bought new seed. They seen my neighbours black bearded fields, he was supposibly finded. Guys like that have hurt this industry. I went out and bought new seed every year till the seed cost got too enourmous. The world is full of cheaters and the honest one pay for it.

Comment

Redwater is relatively new and is supposedly earlier maturing so it is grown in this area around Edmonton.

Comment

wmoebis, I was as concerned then as I am now. My comments in previous threads about this topic would indicate that.

It's all about control and money. Simple.

Comment

I can vouch for vesper being a very poor quality wheat.

Comment

Redwater is what everyone bought to replace harvest and they screwed us again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                          I can vouch for vesper being a very poor quality wheat.
                          X2

Does anyone even grow that shit?

Comment

It’s a game and they know we are laid back and won’t challenge them till it’s to late

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                              It’s a game and they know we are laid back and won’t challenge them till it’s to late
                              CGC 2017 Insured Acres Data published on their website.

MB SK AB Totals
                              Redwater 25,350 9,381 125,446 160,177
                              Domain 35,075 9,932 - 45,007
                              Muchmore 15,953 56,524 398,494 470,971
                              Vesper 635 114,915 380 115,930
                              5605 HR CL 20,141 27,478 9,370 56,989

Another example of data farmers provide for free.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...