• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a semi truck

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a semi truck

On the hunt for a truck to pull a tridem. Want around 600k or lower min of 475 HP, would like an automatic, but they are hard to find, 18 speed is best in the field. Would like a Kenworth 800, or truck like it. Pete’s are way out of my price range and overpriced to begin with.
    If anyone knows of anything worth checking out you can message me.

If you want an automatic I think the Volvo I shift is one of the best. Easy to drive and durable. They are the most common unit on the highway and I see lots of them pulling grain trailers now. They may not be the the nicest classic truck but they are easy to find at dealers and not that expensive.

Comment

Yes for sure they are the cheapest trucks, wonder why that is? You do see a lot of them on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
        Yes for sure they are the cheapest trucks, wonder why that is? You do see a lot of them on the road.
        It would be good to ask several Volvo owners /drivers experience with them. I think the engine, and drive train are solid. But best to get a wide range of experience with them.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
          It would be good to ask several Volvo owners /drivers experience with them. I think the engine, and drive train are solid. But best to get a wide range of experience with them.
          i have a 2000.
          pros
          Nice ride
          very quiet
          easy to drive just like a 3/4 ton
          cheap to buy

cons

not cheap to fix if need parts from abroad, wreckers have lots of parts.
          stay away from volvo drive train and you'll be ok
          I have n14, 13 spd trany and 40k eaton rears.
          resale value will be low

Comment

Nothing really wrong with the Volvo's. I-shift transmission is by and large bullet proof. Stay away from the 16L engine though... It's been discontinued, so parts are going to become hard to come by, and they are problem plagued. Friend of mine is on his 6th? set of injectors. I think we've lost track. Ride is great. Cab is tight.

Pulling a tridem out of the field, if you do go manual, a 13sp fuller is plenty. Honestly even pulling supers I hardly ever split the bottom end, especially out in a soft field you physically wont have time to grab it. Only time i've found it beneficial, was pulling 7 and 8% grades in the mountains where you could better match your engine revs to ground speed. Pulling a tridem, you'll hardly be in the basement with the exception of a few river hills and getting going anyway.

40K rear ends are also plenty. I'm running an '05 Pete with Spicer super 40's and it's pulled trains its whole life through all sorts of terrain. Soft fields, muddy oil lease roads, mountains, etc and they're pushing 1.9Million km with all original components with the exception of one snapped axle. The axle was my fault...

Spicer Lifetime driveline is truly designed for a lifetime. SPL 250s on the main shaft are good for 2500ft/lb of torque. Main u-joints were replaced on my main line because i spun the threads on the locknut for one yoke trying to drop the drive shaft out to change the steady bearing, so decided to rebuild the entire drive line. They had 0 wear after 1.25M km. Pony shaft is original with 1.9M on it.

Avoid anything with strictly a DPF like the plague! SCR and DPF solutions seem to be better... B50 Lifetime seems to have nearly doubled after adding SCR. If you can find one that's been deleted back to pre-emission they are fairly reliable. But then again, I'd still avoid Cummins no matter what. Personal opinion.

Back to volvo, smaller block engines seem to be quite reliable. They are running them in Volvo's as well as Macks. I have heard though that they have a leaky roof liner issue. Seems the only plausible explanation for everyone wearing a towel on their head while driving...

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
              Nothing really wrong with the Volvo's. I-shift transmission is by and large bullet proof. Stay away from the 16L engine though... It's been discontinued, so parts are going to become hard to come by, and they are problem plagued. Friend of mine is on his 6th? set of injectors. I think we've lost track. Ride is great. Cab is tight.

Pulling a tridem out of the field, if you do go manual, a 13sp fuller is plenty. Honestly even pulling supers I hardly ever split the bottom end, especially out in a soft field you physically wont have time to grab it. Only time i've found it beneficial, was pulling 7 and 8% grades in the mountains where you could better match your engine revs to ground speed. Pulling a tridem, you'll hardly be in the basement with the exception of a few river hills and getting going anyway.

40K rear ends are also plenty. I'm running an '05 Pete with Spicer super 40's and it's pulled trains its whole life through all sorts of terrain. Soft fields, muddy oil lease roads, mountains, etc and they're pushing 1.9Million km with all original components with the exception of one snapped axle. The axle was my fault...

Spicer Lifetime driveline is truly designed for a lifetime. SPL 250s on the main shaft are good for 2500ft/lb of torque. Main u-joints were replaced on my main line because i spun the threads on the locknut for one yoke trying to drop the drive shaft out to change the steady bearing, so decided to rebuild the entire drive line. They had 0 wear after 1.25M km. Pony shaft is original with 1.9M on it.

Avoid anything with strictly a DPF like the plague! SCR and DPF solutions seem to be better... B50 Lifetime seems to have nearly doubled after adding SCR. If you can find one that's been deleted back to pre-emission they are fairly reliable. But then again, I'd still avoid Cummins no matter what. Personal opinion.

Back to volvo, smaller block engines seem to be quite reliable. They are running them in Volvo's as well as Macks. I have heard though that they have a leaky roof liner issue. Seems the only plausible explanation for everyone wearing a towel on their head while driving...
              Thx for all that info. Whoever I’ve talked to says it a must to have an 18 speed in the fields.
              18 speeds seem to be the most popular now, haven’t come across too many 13s.

Comment

we have 3 freight liners , sure wouldn't buy anything else . have a 13 speed , 15 sp and an 18 speed . I prefer the 15 for shifting , but we never take trucks in the field unless grain cart lays down . buy a daycab , way nicer around yard and for hooking up , looking up at auger etc , lighter, shorter for approaches etc.
                whatever you do , don't buy anything newer than 2007 unless you like having lots of downtime and repairs
                friend has a 2015 ken worth with low km's cost him $30000 for DEF problems , wouldn't run and back to Saskatoon twice(3 hrs away) . these new trucks are to expensive to keep on the road for a farmer . some company's are ordering new trucks with no engines and rebuilding old engines and installing them . this is how f$&King stupid these tier 4 engines are . i never go to Saskatoon or anywhere for that matter , that I don't see one dead on the road

Comment

Cummins pre 2010 are good its the emissions system that ruins em. A Mothers milk tune, makes them great again, pm me if interested. An 18spd has a lower bo lo, which is nice when starting out in a soft field. Gears 4.10 and lower are best for farm use.
                  Last edited by biglentil; Apr 19, 2018, 13:03.

Comment

Scary to give advice on this. When I was OTR I drove Freight liner Cascadia, Volvo 64VNL, and Pete 379.
                    Nicest was the Pete 3306 Cat, Volvo was a DD15L (think) Detroit anyway), and Pete 378 again with the Cat,
                    all 13 speeds. Don't remember what the Cascadia had for engine, it was brand new and I drove it till they got all the bugs out of it and then they took it away from me.
                    Anywhoo when I bought my own its a VNL640 with an black top N14 and a 10 speed.
                    Of course the Pete was the nicest to drive, kinda prestigious. But overall, I prefer the Volvo. 10 speed is fine,
                    don't know the top end but have had it up to 85 mph. Rated at 270 hp I think.I pull a 42 foot Timpte.

Pay your money and take Your choice.

Comment

All good advice.
                      Be very aware of resellers who take an eastern truck and paint it.
                      Saw one today that had fresh paint on the most severe corrosion issues I've ever seen. Drivetrain brakes engine. It was profound if you looked close. Wouldnt have believed it if hadnt seen it. Truck wasnt that old.
                      They'll also sell yankee trucks that have shitty specs.
                      18s will have a lower ratio 1st.
                      And it is nice to be able to split bottom rack.
                      If older, autoshifts have far too many potential failures from harnesses, plugs, wiring, modules etc.

Comment

I have two T800 Kenworth's one is an 87 with a 3306 and a nine speed that is under powered and then an 95 with a N14 and a 18 speed. I won't say that they ride like a pickup and I find the cab's lacking in leg room but they do seem to be reliable and give good service.
                        I don't think you will find trucks that old still on the road from all the manufacture's if that means anything.

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
                          Scary to give advice on this. When I was OTR I drove Freight liner Cascadia, Volvo 64VNL, and Pete 379.
                          Nicest was the Pete 3306 Cat, Volvo was a DD15L (think) Detroit anyway), and Pete 387again with the Cat,
                          all 13 speeds. Don't remember what the Cascadia had for engine, it was brand new and I drove it till they got all the bugs out of it and then they took it away from me.
                          Anywhoo when I bought my own its a VNL640 with an black top N14 and a 10 speed.
                          Of course the Pete was the nicest to drive, kinda prestigious. But overall, I prefer the Volvo. 10 speed is fine,
                          don't know the top end but have had it up to 85 mph. Rated at 270 hp I think.I pull a 42 foot Timpte.

Pay your money and take Your choice.
                          Edited by sam, darn numbers on truck models, memory not as good

Comment

24.5's float much better than 22.5' in soft conditions, but does effect the final gear ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                              24.5's float much better than 22.5' in soft conditions, but does effect the final gear ratio.
                              Was at Northwest Truck in Edm. Today. Says They have nice pre-emissions Mack 5th wheel tractor for just over $20k. Cheers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...