• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cellular based cabin monitor

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cellular based cabin monitor

Since we were on the tech/automation topic I thought I’d Bring it back for a one more.. this is a fun project Iv been involved with. Cellular based module, sms pay as you go plan. no subscription fees. Bring you own SIM card. The way it should be.

Simple user friendly settup for what phone number you want it to text for Temp/humidity alarms.

Or you text it, it replys with current temp/humidity

Almost all the bugs have been smooshed so far. We’re getting them.

Originally posted by workboots View Post

Since we were on the tech/automation topic I thought I’d Bring it back for a one more.. this is a fun project Iv been involved with. Cellular based module, sms pay as you go plan. no subscription fees. Bring you own SIM card. The way it should be.

Simple user friendly settup for what phone number you want it to text for Temp/humidity alarms.

Or you text it, it replys with current temp/humidity

Almost all the bugs have been smooshed so far. We’re getting them.
    Or put a an old cell phone on hotspot or a mifi for $10/month data only and have total control. Temperature, motion, flood, cameras you name it. A web based interface is superior imo.
    Last edited by biglentil; Apr 17, 2018, 19:02.

Comment

This one gets good reviews:

Comment

Yea I mentioned it’s a cellular module right, you can pop a data plan on it if you wanna pay for a plan. If you want it to send you a text message when your furnace goes out and the ambient air temp starts to drop all you need is sms. I don’t like monthly fees and I don’t have an extra cellphone.

It’s also got io pins for days. What else do you wanna monitor. Btw this thing is cheaper then a phone.. since it’s just the guts of a phone...

Why buy a car if all you need is the engine.. yea dig
        Last edited by workboots; Apr 17, 2018, 19:17.

Comment

Yea I mentioned it’s a cellular module right, you can pop a data plan on it if you wanna pay for a plan. If you want it to send you a text message when your furnace goes out and the ambient air temp starts to drop all you need is sms. I don’t like monthly fees and I don’t have an extra cellphone.

It’s also got io pins for days. What else do you wanna monitor. Btw this thing is cheaper then a phone.. since it’s just the guts of a phone...

Why buy a car if all you need is the engine.. yea dig
          Never heard of as pay as you go that does not expire after activating?

Comment

Alright you got me. It’s snaps to ten $ minimuim after 30 days. But still a 4-5 month for $50.
            Did you actually find a $10 month data. Is that like a fido plan for 711 sim or what?

Comment

Alright you got me. It’s snaps to ten $ minimuim after 30 days. But still a 4-5 month for $50.
              Did you actually find a $10 month data. Is that like a fido plan for 711 sim or what?
              So would I assume you have to have a cell number essentially for each location you want to monitor unless you did it by Wi-Fi? If so do the phone companies readily hand out numbers for low use situations like that?

Comment

You need a SIM card and with it come a telephone # for each cell module.

Yes the telecom giants will happily sign your sim up on the most simple plan you can find. So far it seem anyway..

Comment

I could put your cell number in the list and you could text “report temperature” and module would responds with:

Comment

But like Ive said. These cellular frequencies are not meant for these low broadband requirements. Cellular is the freight train..we need to fill the train will lots of valuable cargo before we sender off. Narrow band IoT is coming down the pipe real fast and it’s gonna change the game in many way.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...