• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Feed.....money maker or not?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    That said, if you have a guaranteed market close by, putting up baleage or even silage is an excellent way to do it. But your economical market is limited to a much smaller radius.
    AF5, That's what I was going to suggest. Wrapped bales for silage if you can seldom get it dry. Make lemonade with lemons. But I bet it's a pricy way to put up feed. WTF do I know....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Sssssshhhh!!!!!!

All of sudden all the BTOs will be growing greenfeed.

Might be the only money maker out there this year....considering the weather .....

There is a shortage of straw right now in southern Alberta
      Most guys around here are scrounging for bedding! Feed running short as well. Many guys are buying essentially weed bales that were unsalable to any discerning buyer this last fall/summer.

Otherwise, $200/mT seems a little high... In the worst of years here, it has peaked at around $150. At that, alot ends up being baled up past the point of "green feed", and usually ends up as straw with a little grain in it. Lots of fields are sold, essentially buyer beware at an agreed upon $/ac. 2015 some stuff traded hands at $200/ac with yield likely around 1.5mT/ac.
      Last edited by helmsdale; Apr 17, 2018, 12:29. Reason: additional info.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        AF5, That's what I was going to suggest. Wrapped bales for silage if you can seldom get it dry. Make lemonade with lemons. But I bet it's a pricy way to put up feed. WTF do I know....
        Wrapping is Definitely more expensive, and labour intensive , but ruining good feed by getting it rained on is expensive too. Biggest issue is the freight, hauling small heavy bales with a short shelf life.

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
          Ssshhhheeeee!

Don't tell gasgrazers' neighbors. He won't be able to con them into delivering two cent a pound hay to his yard!
          If that's referring to me dumbass I didn't con anyone. I offered a guy money for poor hay he was going to burn otherwise and paid to get it loaded and trucked here. It's called business - or is it only whiney little grain farmers that are allowed to buy their inputs as cheap as possible?

As far as greenfeed prospects this year feed inventories on cattle operations in the southern prairies are pretty low now. If there is another widespread drought there will be considerable demand for feed. On the other hand I would expect oat acres to go up this year anyway with the price oats have been and now the chance of later seeding dates. I wouldn't bank on getting more than 3c/lb for good greenfeed if it were me. Pit silage works if you have buyers within 5 miles, bale silage for sale is high risk - I don't think there are many cattle guys left prepared to pay what that costs to produce then truck, unless again the buyer is within 5 miles - in which they could make it in a pit for half the cost.

Comment

Am i missing something greenfeed is hay?

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
              Am i missing something greenfeed is hay?
              Greenfeed is generally an annual crop put up as hay. Oats is most common, other cereals are used too.

Comment

Hi, grassfarmer.

There is always more to the story! You misled a party who said they would never put up hay again, if they could get hay stacked in their yard for $40.00/ton.

Burning material! I guess there really is nothing like selling city clients a smokey flavored premium product. Yummy! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by AllisWD45 View Post
                  Anyone have experience with making greenfeed using glyphosate to dry it down. Used to do quite a bit in another life when i farmed. Would apply chemical when it was ready to cut and let it dry down for 2-3 weeks. I cut it with a 25 Ft swather let it lay for a day or so and baled. Made some really good feed that tested up and the cows loved it.Made it much easier to work with weather problems. Barley or triticale worked best.So did red proso millet but you had to really pay attention to timing of spraying. Oats not so much as it tended to grow tall and rank and made poorer feed even with this system.
                  Yellowfeed you mean. Been doing that for years with good results. Oats makes lots of bulk but barley and wheat and triticale is higher tdn and more palatable. If I can make it work I like to seed barley on wheat stubble so I get some volunteer wheat. Spray 360 grams of glyphosate when grain is in soft dough. It’ll grow a week before it starts to die. It’s a minimum 2 weeks to 4 weeks depending how wet it is before you bale. Traditional greenfeed we cut it later cause if it gets rained on it doesn’t degrade as bad and it dries faster.

Comment

Surprised at how many people are suggesting oats. According to my cows, oat green feed is inedible. Can hardly force them to eat it as compared to barley. What is your secret?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      Surprised at how many people are suggesting oats. According to my cows, oat green feed is inedible. Can hardly force them to eat it as compared to barley. What is your secret?
                      It’s what grampa did? Do you use a smooth awn barley?

Comment

WiltonRanch, the yellowfeed may work for your own use but I know a lot of cattlemen that wouldn't buy it so i'd be cautious growing that to sell.

AF5, Probably comes down to variety and stage of growth at cutting. We've been feeding some real nice stuff this winter where they wasted very little. Very late seeded so fairly short straw, cut green, no fill in the heads made in 2016. It was 12.4% pro, 59% TDN. Excellent cow feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                          It’s what grampa did? Do you use a smooth awn barley?
                          I only grow rough awn barley, because the deer and moose leave it alone, whereas they devour the smooth awn, but the cows still far prefer it to oats.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                            WiltonRanch, the yellowfeed may work for your own use but I know a lot of cattlemen that wouldn't buy it so i'd be cautious growing that to sell.
                            I forgot to mention that. Lots of guys see it and if it isn’t green they’re put off. Even though a lot of times it’s better feed than some green stuff. We have always had better luck with barley and wheat. Oats palatability varies so much. Put it up earlier it’s palatable but can lack energy and put up late it’s full of grain and unpalatable straw. Barley and triticale is more forgiving. Even a barley oat mixture is something to look at.

Comment

the little greenfeed i did sell guys were pissed off because they had to bury mine under theirs so the cows had to eat to get it, how that computes to worth less than hay i must be dumber than a cow.

Comment

Ya, old boys around here used to put it up awful ripe.
                                Now, make export quality oat hay, and they clean it up.
                                In this country you'd need a fair amount of good equip per acre.
                                Used forage equip is shit.
                                Remember, cows are your salvage end users. At least that's how they're treated.
                                Always seem to be the lowest margin crop. Few cows left here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.