• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all the fans of hot and dry weather.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all the fans of hot and dry weather.

Maybe trade places with some of the ranchers in Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas as they fight to save cattle and homes.

Climate change there, huh? Wish those folks all the best with their challenges ahead. Hope that we in western Canada get spring so we can seed, and hope I get some dry weather so I can hay without having my land turn to a rutted marshy mess. Maybe if it dries up enough, I can regain access to the land that was farmed for 80 years, but since the wet years, have had to watch grow up into trees. Maybe the people around the quill lakes will regain the thousands of acres the lake has overtaken as of late because of cool, wetter summers.

Comment

yea wish us luck , grass . sure not looking good here with 15 foot snow piles in the yard . some of our fence lines in fields you could snowshoe right over top the trees . we are in trouble here again . sure hope we get some unusual hot winds and temps .
      I hadn't saw that in Oklahoma , Kansas and Texas . terrible for those farmers and ranchers ! Hope it isn't too bad for them . nothing scarier than fire for a farm ! is that unusual for them at this time of year ?
      Last edited by Guest; Apr 16, 2018, 13:17.

Comment

Snowing here again by Edmonton. If we don't get some hot dry weather, most of the northern grainbelt will turn into muskeg but I am sure that it will make great cattle ranchland. Here is a hint, livestock doesn't actually like slough grass.

Comment

2nd year running isnt it grass?
          We currently have bushfire raging near sydney late season fires

Comment

Not to make light of the terrible situation they are in down there, but it looks like a region that is traditionally very hot and dry is getting hot and dry weather, and a region (most of western Canada)that is normally cold and wet is cold and wet right now. Sounds a lot like normal weather to me.

Comment

Yep more snow north of valley and tonight’s storm is going our way.

Normal weather is back yea.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                Yep more snow north of valley and tonight’s storm is going our way.

Normal weather is back yea.
                I just mean that neither of these extremes is in any way an indication of "climate change". If Oklahoma was getting blizzards in April, and we were hosting a dust bowl right now, that would be unusual.

Snow storms in March, April, May are entirely expected in my locale. Not appreciated though...

Comment

Wild fires can't be that good a climate indicator. Last fall we had one of the worst cattle killing snow storms on Oct 3 and one of the worst cattle killing prairie fires October 17. Hard to believe. Without snow cover it only takes a warm, breezy, low humidity day in the fall for the grass fire hazard to be extreme. Prayer to those folk down south.

Comment

Just took a gander at the forecast for some of those areas of ok. Looks like cooler than normal coming along with 100% chance of up to 50mm of rain. So that is good. Hope they get it. Will have to chat with my wife’s friend from Enid tonite. See just how bad it is, or if it is simply another sensational story exaggerated by the media? I get that the fires have been big, and destructive, but are they worst ever? Is it the hottest ever? After today, it looks really cool.

Climate change I guess?
                    Last edited by Sheepwheat; Apr 16, 2018, 17:23.

Comment

The interesting thing on this thread opener, is this a quick search will show all time cold records in April, being absolutely SMASHED from Michigan, to Prince Albert, over to Edmonton, down to Kansas City, and everywhere between. But we can not use those record cold temps as proof of diddly, can we?

Just thinking. If they were warm records, would the media be having warmist fits of joy at the proof of the warming?

Thought so...

Comment

Tough on those SW farmers / ranchers for sure , but not uncommon.
                        When it’s dry in April here there are always fires north , west and south of here ......

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                          The interesting thing on this thread opener, is this a quick search will show all time cold records in April, being absolutely SMASHED from Michigan, to Prince Albert, over to Edmonton, down to Kansas City, and everywhere between. But we can not use those record cold temps as proof of diddly, can we?

Just thinking. If they were warm records, would the media be having warmist fits of joy at the proof of the warming?

Thought so...
                          Hellish COLD ice storms, record late snow and not one media dares say NO GLOBAL WARMING, CLIMATE NOT CHANCING FOR TOO HOT! Evil bastards!

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            Tough on those SW farmers / ranchers for sure , but not uncommon.
                            When it’s dry in April here there are always fires north , west and south of here ......
                            Thats just the neighbors doing a little spring clean up. That has been a traditional indicator that I had better be working on equipment. Dry enough to burn about 2500 acres, risk homes but too wet to go into the field with tractor/implement to slow it down. Usually add 10 days and you can go in the field.
                            Some communities have resources for a (modest) new fire truck and suits but the gas/battery/suits get stolen within a year. Other communities have volunteer help with silent auctions, bingos, dances, steak nights for fund raisers to replace 2 suits per year. FCC Agri Spirit is worth applying for, it took 4 years but eventually they contributed . Our local Credit Union employees were always very helpful.

Comment

There is a significant chunk of the country affected by these very severe drought conditions.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...