• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shearing sheep. Sheepwheat.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shearing sheep. Sheepwheat.

Got some pics for you.
    Shearing, wool, sheep, sheep yards etc.
    Having trouble downloading of my phone will get them up asap

Looking forward to it. Lambing set to start here the 21st. Hope it warms up sometime.

Comment

when i get decent mobile service to down load i will.
      It was a pleasant 39c outside whilst shearing was a unpleasant maybe 48 inside the shearing shed.
      Record temps for april meant to be 25 to 30

Comment

http://www.farmweekly.com.au/news/agriculture/sheep/wool/rawlinna-shears-64000-sheep/2757015.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
          when i get decent mobile service to down load i will.
          It was a pleasant 39c outside whilst shearing was a unpleasant maybe 48 inside the shearing shed.
          Record temps for april meant to be 25 to 30
          That is just too hot. We complain about the cold long winter but I think I prefer the cold to that kind of heat. Bet those sheep love the sheering.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            That is just too hot. We complain about the cold long winter but I think I prefer the cold to that kind of heat.
            Yep, just a reminder that not everywhere in the world is cold wishing it was hotter.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sorry for double posts.
                  That was around 8.30/9 am before heat set in for the days.
                  thurs was actually record april temp 39.2

Comment

Mallee, how long does it take a good "shearer"(?) to shear a sheep?

It looks like back breaking work being stooped over so much like that.

I bet the sheep are greatful to have that heavy wool coat sheared off.

How many times a year are they done? Are they sheared just before your "hot" summer season?

Comment

Thanks for sharing the photos. Gets me thinking back to 1990 -1991 when I worked in Australia. I was a roustabout when we were sheering. Was a very good time I have lots of good memories. It's was an amazing experience.

Comment

I. Would. Die. Lol I struggle when it is over 17. I belong in Greenland. Thanks for the pics, and for reminding me, and affirming in my soul, why we raise hair sheep! I guess if you get paid for the wool, it may be worth it as you showed before. But in 🇨🇦 where you would do all that work for free? Hair sheep it is!

Comment

More pics to come of outside work but on sons phone hes the one with orange saftey shirt.

Shearin starts at 7.30 am to 9.30 half hour break 10 to midday hour break 1 to 3 half hour break 3.30 to 5.30 but we stop at 5 and break out a few beers for shearers usually have 2 or 3 not the done thing tight arse farmers wont give shearers a beer plus drink driving as well.

Shearer number 1 did 208 on tuesday by 5. Best 2 hour run was 60 at $3.30 per head.

Notice shearer 2 3 and 4 have back aides or spring supported harnesses.

Tradfitionally shearing is once every 12 months.

We try to breed super long wool we shear every 5 and 7 months.

Sheep cut around 2.5 kg in 5 months and up to 4 in 7 month shear.

Bale of wool 195 kg lets round it off at $1850 per bale but may make up to $2000 will let ya all know.

Farma the wool is actully a insulator keeps em cool and warm not as hot as youd think.

They are very susceptable to cold snaps and or haily weather straight off shears can die of hyphothermia at say windy cold conditions of say 12 degrees c but its only for about a week off shears.

In cold spots in oz they actually use whats called snow combs leaves about 10 mm of wool.

Only once have we lost sheep to cold maybe 30 or so one night.

Comment

Thanks Mallee, that's interesting.

Comment

When I was in Australia in the early 80's there was a big controversy between shearers union and farmers. The farmers wanted to move to a wider blade on the shearing machine and the shearers union did not.

I remember the fella telling us about it in the pub spoke in a hushed voice so as not to be heard discussing it.

We were young farm kids from Canada and thought it was amusing, but the two side of the argument did not.

Mallee you can tell me what the outcome was?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...