• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interest rates

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything is inflated because of low interest rates imho. I am a younger farmer and would like to see people make interest off their savings, and myself to buy land right now if interest rate would be higher i M pretty sure the price per acre would be lower. A person can put himself in a cash crunch pretty quick making steep land payments with only the interest as a tax deduction for a business.

Comment

Errol

There was an interesting article that the liberals are trying to raise rates heavily and quickly to help their budget. In some strange way the books show heavy pension obligations with low rates and if rates are higher it can shave billions off the future pension obligations. Before you know it the liberals have a rosy budget to report before the high interest rates trickle down and blow up the economy

Who knows....I personally can’t see the economy support higher rates unless at the same time they print and helicopter drop so much money that it offsets it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
        Errol

There was an interesting article that the liberals are trying to raise rates heavily and quickly to help their budget. In some strange way the books show heavy pension obligations with low rates and if rates are higher it can shave billions off the future pension obligations. Before you know it the liberals have a rosy budget to report before the high interest rates trickle down and blow up the economy

Who knows....I personally can’t see the economy support higher rates unless at the same time they print and helicopter drop so much money that it offsets it.
        Ache . . . This is 'Robbing Peter to pay Paul' economics . . . . Yes, pensions are the next gong show, but raising rates quickly would pull Canada's economy into a depression quickly. The debt bomb would detonate . . . .

Instead of raising rates quickly and worsening our economy even more, maybe our PM should support Canada's key economic engine, ( the Alberta oil sands) and getting working to move our product to international markets.

Comment

Lots of robbing Peter to pay Paul economics at work. Robbed billions from savers to stimulate the economy and create fake growth the last 8 years. Main reason why asset prices are where they are at. I agree though the Canuckistan economy can't withstand any more rate increases as its growth is entirely fake. The US is not as good as the optimistic reports are and today's rate increase is likely the last down there as well. I did see the report on rates and pensions and that is a key reason why central banks can't cut rates again as well. Pensions need the higher rates.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
            Lots of robbing Peter to pay Paul economics at work. Robbed billions from savers to stimulate the economy and create fake growth the last 8 years. Main reason why asset prices are where they are at. I agree though the Canuckistan economy can't withstand any more rate increases as its growth is entirely fake. The US is not as good as the optimistic reports are and today's rate increase is likely the last down there as well. I did see the report on rates and pensions and that is a key reason why central banks can't cut rates again as well. Pensions need the higher rates.
            Do you honestly just look for opportunities to say the word "canuckistan" in your posts? It somehow works its way in to basically every single post you write on here. Its pretty disrespectful to keep suggesting that our country is so similar to the shit-whole third world countries your tying it to.

Comment

So if the US keeps raising rates as they did today. Can BOC resist and hold the line if that's better for Canada? Can dollar would just keep droping which has good and bad points. But wouldn't all kinds of investment money leave the country? Bottom line is can we really have much of a discrepancy in rates with such close economic ties?

Comment

Not if govt wants to sell debt.... past and new. Canada's rates will follow the US, along with every other country in the world. We have no choice in the matter as far as holding line. What we are entering in the next 5 years imo is gonna be half seventies and half 1985. Inflation, higher interest rates and higher USD as the safe haven of the bond market plummets. Equities haven't even started, they have the possibility of doubling. It's the end of a 34 year cycle from 85 when USD blew off. My best educated guess fwiw.

Comment

Why do you think equities will go up if interest rates do also, isn't their trend opposite of each other? Inflation is caused by periods of surplus money or lack or supply, do you believe either situation applies in today's world?

Comment

This cheap money and easy credit has got the “average” consumer in deep sh——. These bank governors get their arses kicked.

Comment

How much longer can an artificially stimulated economy taped together by money printing, easy credit and astronomical gov’t and consumer debt hold? Now the Fed is attempting to unwind their mind-blowing $4.5 trillion balance sheet which will trigger massive bond sales.

Should the U.S. economy enter recession / bond markets fail, there will be no more talk about Fed rate hikes or inflation. Today’s Fed comments may just a distant memory when this economic realignment impacts markets en-mass.

Central bankers are losing control and now powerless to stop a correction in-my-view . . . .

Comment

Can you money market watching guys explain why what happened in the eighties happened. Stoopid high interest rates. I was kinda young or not interested. Can or will it happen again?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          Can you money market watching guys explain why what happened in the eighties happened. Stoopid high interest rates. I was kinda young or not interested. Can or will it happen again?
                          recesion
                          deficit financing to stimulate economy
                          inflation
                          high interest rates to battle inflation
                          more recesion
                          more deficits
                          more inflation
                          higher interest rates

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            President Regan's public debt was less than 1% of today's U.S. debt accelerating above $21 trillion. In Regan era, money printing did work and could work an economy out of a recession. Keynesian economics worked in those days.

Today, this doesn't work anymore because of the massive government debt and service charges. Service charges today alone are well above the total public debt of the 1980's. A totally different world. Today's QE (IMO) has simply created unsustainable asset bubbles.

Inflation was rampant in the early 80's. Mortgage rates soared as high as 22% at its peak. But debt wasn't an issue. Inflation was the issue. Now public debt is massive and uncontrolled. Just a small rate hike can do serious damage to gov't /consumer balance sheets.

The Fed raising rates now is also accelerating their service charges on an already accelerating debt load. But they do need room to cut rates when the next financial crisis hits. When that happens, QE4 may be born . . .

Comment

Thanks guys....

So, what's the answer?

Crash?

The economy will fix itself(sound familiar)?

What type of medicine needs to be taken, or any?.....let it trod along?

If policy, interference and manipulation got us to this point, what's needed to correct it, if you think anything is wrong.

Inflation can go away, debt doesn't.

Maybe controlling debt early would have been less painful than "some" inflation.

What would things look like today if things would have been left to their own devices?

I hate the thought of "forcing" an economy.

Lots to comment on if anyone cares to, THANKS again guys.

A fool can ask more questions than a wise man can answer

Comment

The dollar is doing really well! Average life span of fiat currency is 27 years this experiment is now on year 47. There has only been 3400 different failed fiat currencies in history maybe this one will last. Its different this time.
                                Last edited by biglentil; Mar 21, 2018, 20:31.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...