• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bet on the CWB

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bet on the CWB

Is anyone out there willing to bet money( or anything, really) on the effect of losing the CWB? One of the other threads here is about low cash flow. I calculate we western Canadian farmers have lost about $10 billion because of the end of the CWB and am willing to cover bets on the subject.

If you think ending the CWB was a good thing and that we have made money because of that( other effects factored out) and can prove that together we have made even $1 more, you win. I am confident losses are in the several billions. That's a very small hurdle for you and a large one for me. Any takers?

I thought the cwb had to change their ways. They were very stubborn in their policy.

BUT never did i think those guys would sell it to a foreign entity.

I asked my MP David Anderson to make a IPO for the cwb so that it stayed in western Canadian farmers control which it had never been.

Losing money that's a given.

Comment

Only if you can tell me how many billions farmers lost while the CWB was around...

In my dad's farming career in the CWB years he took a 50% cut to his gross income more than once over the space of a few years. And no it wasn't because of crop failure either. There were mountains of grain all over the country. Thanks for nothing....

Comment

Not sure about the marketing and management end but all the other factors that weren't thought out and went with.
        Port of Churchill, Grain Co's audits, Blending at port and returned to farmers, Modernization of Grain Act, Orderly loading and shipment at primary elevators and of vessels, Ability to load vessels at multiple terminals, Inward inspection, lack of transparency of costs like cleaning, freight and USA $ difference.

Comment

Transparent reporting would be nice to have considering very little competition in Canada.

Comment

I don't mean stories from the 'bad old days,' I mean actual economic analysis. If it was soooo important to get rid of the CWB there should be some comparative analysis by now that proves your point. It's nearly 6 years. Where is it?

Comment

I take your bet captain.
              For anyone that half-assed pays attention and can feel out the hidden durum market, having that out of the Board has been an absolute home run. I can decide what's best for my farm. Keep it, build more bins. Sell it. Take my lumps. Whatever I need to do. I CAN DO.

Comment

A few more details than "I calculate" would be helpful...

Comment

There isn't any. Other than being able to contract the whole crop in advance and still wait for delivery most don't realize its still a quota system.

But it plays into the graincos favour because they got farmers to build their storage.

More downloaded costs that no one figures into their calculations.

Still elevators closing etc etc....really nothing has changed.

But we have the open market...puke...most haven't got a clue we don't.

North Dakota has an open market but guarantees their producers 12.60 per bushel cdn. Go figure.

Comment

Okay Daylate, let's see the comparative numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by CptnObvious View Post
                      I don't mean stories from the 'bad old days,' I mean actual economic analysis. If it was soooo important to get rid of the CWB there should be some comparative analysis by now that proves your point. It's nearly 6 years. Where is it?
                      Nothing to compare to all CWB files were destroyed. So it is hard or impossible to make actual economic analysis.

Comment

101, I would look at loss of value during the 'sale,' loss of protein premium especially during '12-'13, lower port price relative to the U.S., and the really really big one: excess basis.

Comment

True( I think) wmoebis, but sometimes if you can't look at the thing directly you can look at the hole it left.

Comment

protein premiums are now none existent. Canada sells a 3cwad all day long because end users have been conditioned to accept it.

Grow a 1cwad....what for?

Comment

Ok thanks for the general areas of concern, now the data please....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...