• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bright side question for the day

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright side question for the day

I know getting emotional and bitching is much easier.
    But how about an occasional bright side post or question?
    Single topic per thread?
    Many topics.
    First one. What does everyones retirement look like?
    Mine has less payments and risk. Winters elsewhere hopefully.
    Operate equipment for neighbor. Hopefully kids going to post secondary.
    Praying health to get there. Maybe even someone to spend it with.

Just updated estate and it gets you to look at it realistically.

I love what I’m doing in this start to becoming a Snow Bird. Second full winter in Florida and wow it’s more than the big mouse way more.

We still haven’t bought a home but have fun looking at different areas. Right now we use time share and VRBO. Our time shares were purchased in 2009 we paid pennies and real cheap maintenance so basically 65 a night. For a two or three bedroom condo. Buying vs the way we do it now still has been a challenge for me to figure out what we want. If I decide I don’t want Florida I move and book next year Phoenix or Hawaii. Ownership is great if you bought at 200 and now it’s 1.2 but not 1.2 hoping for it to go higher. Homes in Regina are way over priced compared to what you get here.

Now some is luck and some is retirement planning. So far the farm gives nothing to retirement. My wife and I had and she still has a job in Canada. The off farm investment I stumbled on did very well. So selling our farm isn’t part of that plan.

My folks were snow birds and so were my wife’s so we know the life. 22 years and 30 living in USA.

Do you live longer maybe my folks are almost 90.

Freeways you get use to and it becomes life.

Great beaches in Miami Fort lauderdale area. Or gulf coast.

Health is the billion dollar question. Get a heart problem or main medication change and your hooped.

Go younger than you think because to many wait till it’s to late.

It’s a great close to 90 above week.

Later!

Comment

well winters away are a ways off , lol . but looking forward to a couple weeks in roatan in March . would like to spend more time where the diving and snorkeling is really good . Maldives some day , Austrailia , Indonesia all great diving destinations that I hope to visit before it's too late ! I actually enjoy farming more than I used too , now that some of the stress is gone . we built a new shop and actually are getting a lot done while not working very hard at it . surprising how you can save $500 here, a $1000 there ! that's what it's all going to be about for the next few years . spending less . I really enjoy the oceans . just to bad I was born about as far away from one as you can get , lol. big cities in the US don't appeal to me in the least

Comment

I also enjoy growing a crop from first blade of grass starting to grow till fall last day before snow. Winter I hate

Comment

looks like a nice place , enjoy !
          I find the older you get the more you hate winter , at least , I do
          this has been a brutal one , minus thirty something this morning , again , 28 km/h wind coming , wind hasn't stopped here since we started spraying last year

Comment

In case you people haven't figured it out, I am not a traveller. Happiness isn't a destination its a state of mind.

As much, whining and complaining, bitching and moaning, some people might think I do.....I have it pretty ****ing good in my opinion. So good, I refuse to tell the whole story....but to some people they may think there is alot of room for improvement....perspective, expectations, satisfaction.... varies for everyone. Depends what and where you started and what you have and where you are now and if you're satisfied....my success might be seen as failure to others.

Being opinionated and outspoken is ok as long as I keep an open mind.

Then when some guys post their purchases, yeilds, and holidays, others come down on them. Even if some of the stuff they post comes across as bitching when in fact alot of times some of it is inconvenient reality.

I have alot to be grateful for....In just about every aspect of my life even if I don't express it!

Take care everyone.
            Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 21, 2018, 07:21.

Comment

Winters elsewhere....
              Some can't see any benefits in traveling. To each their own.
              I think it helps to get a different perspective of the world and its billions of inhabitants. Sure there is the actually travel part which if it involves an airport is a pain. If you're coming home to work it's like a hard reset. Everything is fresh again.
              It certainly isn't necessary to do a winter vacation either. Make some time somehow to spend some money in this country this summer. It'll brighten your outlook if you make the most of it.

Comment

My only advise is do it early as health can screw up great plans. Have a second option like Kelowna or Victoria island and buy maybe their

Comment

Each individual is the current sum of their life experiences, and will greatly affect their opinions and reactions. I'm not saying that is an excuse to be overwhelmingly negative or positive but it "might" affect your opinion and who you are. I've often said, what did that person have to endure to make them what and the way they are? It's easy to sit back and judge but until you've......something about shoes and a mile.

Comment

Retirement is a long ways off here. But I do have hopes and dreams. I hope to live on a lake, full of walleye, and bereft of people. I hope to have many grandchildren. I hope they visit often. I want to go to Israel, Ireland, New Zealand. Mexico etc just hold no appeal to me, I hate heat and beaches and crowds. Used to want to go see where my ancestors came from in Germany, but less appealing since the invasion. I want to hunt moose, caribou, grizzly, and Dahl sheep in the Yukon. I want to fish.A lot.

My one son is extremely interested in farming. A bit of grain on the side of a honey operation, he loves the bees and is really good at it. My other boy loves raising pigs, and does well selling awesome pork. My daughters love the sheep and goats and I am not going to hold them back. I do hope this farm can buck the trend and stay in this family, and be farmed by this family. It will not be grain farmed I am sure, way too many young guys with rich dads to compete, and grain farming is simply insane anymore. Anyway my dream is to come home from the lake, feed some animals, tag some sheep, milk a goat or two, inspect some hives, bale some hay. I want to help my kids where I could not be helped. Financially, physically, and with advice I so wish I had had.

A bit of travel, sure. But mostly I want to be with my family, and if that is in the cold of Saskatchewan, so be it.

In the meantime, I will keep plugging away. Too much work to do to holiday in winter, and far too little 💰. Lol

Comment

Travelled Lots from Day 1. And continue to do so when time allows. Health is so important; allows travel anywhere, and the ability to walk long distances.

I actually love Saskatchewan in the winter; the cold days cooped up are so enjoyable for me & never get finished all the projects I want to tackle. It's easy to hop on a plane and be gone for a few weeks if the winter bluesies set in.

Don't quite know what retirement is. Or is supposed to be. New ventures are always popping up. Farming can be intense, or relaxed. My neighbours are the best you can find anywhere in the world. Haven't chosen another place to buy or build; thought about it. There are two houses to sweep now. That too can change. The choices are amazing. And so is life. Pars.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                        I know getting emotional and bitching is much easier.
                        But how about an occasional bright side post or question?
                        Single topic per thread?
                        Many topics.
                        First one. What does everyones retirement look like?
                        Mine has less payments and risk. Winters elsewhere hopefully.
                        Operate equipment for neighbor. Hopefully kids going to post secondary.
                        Praying health to get there. Maybe even someone to spend it with.

Just updated estate and it gets you to look at it realistically.
                        I have been very astute about my financial future. Keep low operating costs, I try to do most repairs, and disciplined spending, if we dont need it , we dont buy it.
                        Disciplined organic grain marketing to capture the most amount of profit for the least amount if risk.

I know for sure at this time, I can retire at 62 and live comfortably for 23 days.

Comment

https://youtu.be/WlBiLNN1NhQ

Comment

Never a dull moment with the "hobby", I will have to get me a hobby in retirement.
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 21, 2018, 13:16.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                              My only advise is do it early as health can screw up great plans. Have a second option like Kelowna or Victoria island and buy maybe their
                              I find it quite ironic that the one that ******* the most about taxes is quick to come home in case of health issues, hide under the ca. shithole of a country to get free Medicare.
                              I have really no desire to go to the sun and sand,a good sunny day on the ice fishing is more up my alley, and I have health issues so easier to stay home, there is way more of Canada to see than I will ever get to, to each his own.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.