• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not relevant to canadian but FYI "rethink your approach to canola harvesting"

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not relevant to canadian but FYI "rethink your approach to canola harvesting"

https://grdc.com.au/resources-and-publications/grdc-update-papers/tab-content/grdc-update-papers/2018/02/rethinking-your-approach-to-canola-harvesting

interesting article , the big push around here is cutting canola green . it seems a lot of people want to cut it green and "get it out of the way " or "be the first one done " . we have been leaving ours longer every year to cut , I think the fungicides and new varieties are helping with that . shelling with the swather seems to be just about nil. straight cutting not for this country , unless you like leaving it stand a month longer and combining in the snow and then of course , it is more prone to heating in the bin

Comment

Mallee, an advantage you have over us is you get paid for oil content. Direct heading will probably maximize that benefit. When direct heading(straight cutting) is performed here, I would suggest getting rid of it in a timely manner, I think long term storage is risky, although I have zero experience straight cutting canola.

Does the stem ever really dry down? And is a preharvest glypho app ever effective or just a feel good application(regarding drying down the crop.... not weed control.... then how does the herby ever penetrate a good canopy....even for "desiccation").

I believe your crop will be safely in the bin long before the option of direct heading(straight cutting).
      Risks either way, wind can scatter swaths and if you get a bad enough wind it will shatter straight cut too...no matter what they say. We've had wind loss in standing yellow mustard.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...