• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hybrid Mustard

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hybrid Mustard

Seed companies seeking a solution where a problem doesn't exist.

[URL]https://www.producer.com/2018/02/hybrid-mustard-will-provide-advantage/[/URL]

The mustard market is doing just fine on its own. There is no need to double or triple output on the same acreage base except in the eyes of input retailers.

Somebody seeing the canola seed prices and want to get in on the free lunch for nothing.
    Produce 3 times as much get less than one third of price. But more bins pay more freight. Sounds fantastic.

Comment

Also great for fert suppliers when producers quit aiming for a profitable 25 and instead aim for 50.

Comment

Win win for everyone! Lol

Comment

Is there a market for more production?

Or is it just to drive the end users cost of raw product down?

Grow more make less?

But make it up on volume...right?

They should be making plans to deregister older mustard varieties already....

Comment

Solid question bucket.
            How much demand is there??

Will more expensive seed/higher yields over supply market and crash price ?

Comment

In every other commodity that seems to be the case....but higher priced seed guarantees better returns to primary producers.....right?

Someone should be asking for some resignations at the mustard development board....

Mustard prices have dropped 15 percent with the talk of higher acres for 2018.....from 40 cents now at 35.....
              Last edited by bucket; Feb 11, 2018, 20:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                Solid question bucket.
                How much demand is there??

Will more expensive seed/higher yields over supply market and crash price ?
                It's a niche, and the market seems to clear every year... its one crop in this area that you don't have to "shoot for the moon" to turn a modest profit. But as we all know, moon shots make everyone up the food chain a bunch of coin and leave us carrying all the risk.

Comment

I've been growing Yellow Mustard off and on for probably 20 years.....the price cycles....without some phoney futures market chart based trading influencing it. You want "stable" prices? Over produce it....they will be consistently low!

Just my "uneducated" opinion.

Edit....feels like alot longer than 20 years! Has to be....i just checked back and my records only go back to 95, but I think we grew it before then. I must be having a blast.....you know what they say about time and having fun.
                  Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 11, 2018, 22:03.

Comment

Looks like a market with limited demand, increasing demand would be a priority.

Comment

Maybe 101 can chime in with a longer term chart. Recently S/U was quite low for yellow... do you have anything more current O88?

Commodity forum....where few tip their hand, I would make a shitty poker player....PokerScars.com lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.