• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High speed discs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High speed discs

How long till the protills and jokers are all parked in the fenceline

https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/crops/soil-erosion-lessons-learned-and-forgotten/?module=carousel&pgtype=homepage&i=1

As soon as the dry comes back.

Comment

If it stays dry there will be big dollar items that won't get used. Most of them were bought to fill ruts around here.

Comment

Keep using high speed disks and you'll be parking them in a fenceline full of drift soil.

Comment

Even here in the Wet belt..Neighbors quit using them..

Comment

Because of the high speed required to operate them and frequent turning, are they even practical to use them only for low spots?

Our land doesn't require "blanket" tillage to manage crop residue....too variable. Heavy harrows on a hot day is good enough in most cases.....ya, we had the odd year where there was a bit too much straw, but if we can get the drill through it we live with the results

Even turned down repeated requests from cattlepeoples(sorry, I couldn't help myself) to bale straw off our land.....sorry, it isn't going to happen. Too much abuse from decades of cultivation that I will never see restored to presettlement conditions in my lifetime....or maybe not for three generations.

I even hate burning the flax straw....our combine, MAV chopper, drill combination doesn't work for seeding through it.

Comment

I could use another one....possibly 2 if they are small and cheap enough. We dont fill ruts, its full on intrusive tillage and hyper consumption of fossil fuels. Tractor hours and rapid depreciation.
              Sometimes...twice on Sunday.

Comment

Had the same thoughts as you guys on them. Finally got a good used one this fall. We heavy harrowed some canola stubble this fall, as well as disked some across the road to level the rust out. The disk left some lumps on top. Had a couple of those 100km/hr winds this fall, and the harrowed stuff drifted like a bugger while the disked stuff stayed put. I hope that it rots in the bush after we get our ruts and sloughs looked after, which will take a few years, but I was quite surprised on the drifting side of it.
                This is high assessed land, not light sand.

Comment

Originally posted by saskshafe View Post
                  Had the same thoughts as you guys on them. Finally got a good used one this fall. We heavy harrowed some canola stubble this fall, as well as disked some across the road to level the rust out. The disk left some lumps on top. Had a couple of those 100km/hr winds this fall, and the harrowed stuff drifted like a bugger while the disked stuff stayed put. I hope that it rots in the bush after we get our ruts and sloughs looked after, which will take a few years, but I was quite surprised on the drifting side of it.
                  Which make did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by saskshafe View Post
                    Yep saw the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                      I could use another one....possibly 2 if they are small and cheap enough. We dont fill ruts, its full on intrusive tillage and hyper consumption of fossil fuels. Tractor hours and rapid depreciation.
                      Sometimes...twice on Sunday.
                      Gotta love it when the weeds are wilted in one pass on a hot day! I would imagine there aren't alot of resistance issues... Warrant, I remember flixweed and kochia somehow evading 16" sweeps on 12" centers🤔

Comment

Hoersch joker.
                        The degelman may have done a little better leveling, but I didn’t have the power to pull the one that was available.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.