• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Probe removed from RM of Sherwood council

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too have seen first hand exactly how councillors pretend or actually don't want to know how to handle the conflicts of interest that are inevitable. Those conflicts aren't bad in themselves.

They become problematic when not handled by strictly and properly distancing from all aspect of council decision making.

An open invitation is made for ratepayers to themselves think "conflict of interest" through.....and then for the first time in their lives to attend a full council meeting to see exactly what this means in reality.

Comment

Read the Tim Probe and RM Sherwood court cases. Go to the Sask Ombudsman page to see the shit that may be going on right in your small town or RM.

Ask for the declaration forms of your local councillors; just like you do for the monthly minutes LOL. And their annual updates...and the form B's that are to be submitted within 30 days of any new conflict of interest that has arisen.

Can YOU handle the truth. Do you give a shit or are you just a willing enabler?

This will change ....because it has to. You want the provincial government to do what happened to health districts. You do know the provincial government is the master of Municipalities. They now recognize that each of their own MLA's must sit down with and discuss these matters with a full fledged professional person so that no one can say they weren't aware.

At least take a look at www.legassembly.sk.ca/mlas/disclosure-statements/ to see the tip of what is expected of each and every elected official, at each and every publically governing body.

IF IT ISN"T HERE ALREADY....THEN EXPECT IT SOON...AND WITH accountability and impartiality. Consider it a learning experience and take the time to do a bit of it

Comment

What happens when the gravel the RM need is on the land of a councilor? Other than the landowner leaving the room when discussions around it are conducted.... it would seem no matter the outcome, he may appear to be in conflict. And remember.... sometimes there is only afew people there to make the decisions.

Micro government may be the best way to describe it. And the smaller it is, the tougher is would appear to be non biased. I'm not making excuses.... sometimes there is too much self serving with the internal dealings of an RM(gravel, clay, equipment used by staff for personal jobs or for councilors) or roads being built or taken care of to a different standard than others.

I think it is a thankless job

Comment

Every time I hear that thankless job bullshit, I feel like puking.

I like you, farmaholic, but see it like it is, which is as galaxie explained.

Comment

With respect; "fholic" ; to say "it is a thankless job" ...that is one of the oldest and most damaging statement that can be uttered. It conveys that we should be grateful and that the rare people who do hold elected representative positions should never be subject to opposition; whatever their goals or agendas.

It demeans the expectation that decisions are meant to be based on the evidence...the overall public good; and the notion that "conflicts of interest" have no place around a council table.

For those who think that all that is needed to handle "conflicts" is to declare it and leave the council chambers...there is little hope of changing the way such conflicts are commonly handled.

Read what the Ombudsman says must be done to handle such situations.

There are at least five components Declare... Disclose....Abstain...Refrain...Leave

https://www.ombudsman.sk.ca/uploads/files/news/97//municipal-coi-brochure.pdf

I don't think its clear enough that lobbying, or deliberately conveying your personal position on your "conflict" at any point before the rest of council makes their motion or bylaw...is also an important item that must be disclosed and recognized. Otherwise the whole council is complicit in what amount to a conspiracy.

So its somewhat complicated and ideally in all but rare cases; persons should either be one or the other (public representative or simple member of public) at the same time.

Recusing is another word if you don't understand "conflicts of interest"

Comment

Quote:

"I don't think its clear enough that lobbying, or deliberately conveying your personal position on your "conflict" at any point before the rest of council makes their motion or bylaw...is also an important item that must be disclosed and recognized. Otherwise the whole council is complicit in what amount to a conspiracy."

Couldn't agree more.... absolutely correct.

Here is another quote which probably explains why we get what we get:

"you couldn't pay me enough so sit as councilor".

Most must do it for the glory then because there isn't a pile of money in it for the time dedicated to meetings and business of the RM.

I was asked to appear before council to express my concern about the "shape"(flat as a pancake or even worse trough shaped) and condition of the municipal road leading to my farm.... compared to our nearly half mile long driveway to our yard. Even the municipal road sees minimal traffic because not too many people use it since we are the only ones who live down this road. Below are pictures of the municipal road compared to our driveway. They would say, "what does he expect it just rained...." well it just rained on my road too(that we maintain ourselve).... proof is in the pictures. But when you appear before council it is one against seven in this RM and how dare you question their management!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	766203

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	766204

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	766205
              Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 9, 2018, 10:53.

Comment

"Lead, follow or get out of the way" also rings true. As does the saying If you want something done right...do it yourself.

Some RM's are "seriously" considering contracting out municipal work; instead of buying equipment and hiring employees.

Just maybe they should be told that individuals could theoretically make that phone call on their own.

Lots of ways that work could get done; maybe even more efficiently (or even better) without having to pay that ransom that goes along with "maybe if councillors were paid more they would do a better job" .

On the other hand...how about working on obtaining a full council that are good managers; willing to work on behalf of the electorate (maybe even at less than their own cost); and willing to do their term of public duty and then step aside for others to take over.
                Even better; look at it as an honor to serve as a representative; and earn the reputation of having left the state of affairs in better condition than when they arrived in office.

Comment

Originally posted by oneoff View Post
                  "Lead, follow or get out of the way" also rings true. As does the saying If you want something done right...do it yourself.

Some RM's are "seriously" considering contracting out municipal work; instead of buying equipment and hiring employees.

Just maybe they should be told that individuals could theoretically make that phone call on their own.

Lots of ways that work could get done; maybe even more efficiently (or even better) without having to pay that ransom that goes along with "maybe if councillors were paid more they would do a better job" .

On the other hand...how about working on obtaining a full council that are good managers; willing to work on behalf of the electorate (maybe even at less than their own cost); and willing to do their term of public duty and then step aside for others to take over.
                  Even better; look at it as an honor to serve as a representative; and earn the reputation of having left the state of affairs in better condition than when they arrived in office.
                  My first response to this is **** off oneoff you ungrateful prick.

I have been on council for one year. It definitely isn't for the money. It's pricks like you that make the job even worse.

I am paid a per diem for my efforts. But I make $1,000 a day and every day of RM business costs me big time.

If I had someone coming in a sniveling for ****ing years about conflict of interest and second guessing every decision. I would have no problem telling them to grow a ****ing pair, quit being a ****ing ***** and put your name forward to run if you can get enough people to sign your nomination papers or go to ****ing hell.

If all these problems were in fact real in your rm you would have a groundswell of support. If no one else cares then shut the hell up.
                  Last edited by LEP; Feb 9, 2018, 17:20.

Comment

I did it for 6 yrs. it is definetley a thankless job and the biggest bitchers never do sfa for the area including being a coincillor .

Comment

I sat on council for a few years but I wanted to know how things worked and thought maybe councils could have more influence to provincial policies....

Wheels turn very slow to the point where it changed my mind that maybe algamation wouldn't be a bad idea....

Even with this latest elevator closure I still think RMs should have put more effort in on behalf of the ratepayers. ..

Comment

And just to be clear the $1,000 is on my farm, not the per diem.

Comment

Farmaholic,

Your councilor gravel ownership inquiry, and your clay inquiry could be handled with a properly worded, open to all providers, tender process that is free of that councilor at the table from start to finish.

My sympathy regarding the municipal road past your lane, and your obvious concern over council stating, "how dare you question their management".

Consider this, it could have been newbie councilor leper who would in his colorful language, before he ran it by the colony, "if no one else cares about the municipal road past your lane, then shut the hell up".

I wouldn't shit you on that. He is my favorite turd.

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
                            Farmaholic,

Your councilor gravel ownership inquiry, and your clay inquiry could be handled with a properly worded, open to all providers, tender process that is free of that councilor at the table from start to finish.

My sympathy regarding the municipal road past your lane, and your obvious concern over council stating, "how dare you question their management".

Consider this, it could have been newbie councilor leper who would in his colorful language, before he ran it by the colony, "if no one else cares about the municipal road past your lane, then shut the hell up".

I wouldn't shit you on that. He is my favorite turd.

Lol...takes all kinds.

The gravel/clay issue was a response to oneoff's comments about clay and councillors.

The comment about what does he expect it just rained was true....the "how dare he question our management" was my comment....but I can well imagine, and with the pictures it is hard to defend their arguments.

I didn't want to make it sound any worse than it was.

Also, I am on the record as sayjng, "the municipal road(past our lane) is a good road, but poorly maintained".

Comment

My comments were directed towards oneoff. His comments struck a nerve when he spoke of being held ransom, and he thought perhaps a councillor might be more honorable if they worked for less than their own cost.

He has whined for several years on here about his rm council. The clear response would be to run and "cleanup" his council if indeed there is a problem. He has had an opportunity to run and "fix" the problem, but he has chosen to do nothing and bitch instead. Complete ***** imo.
                              Last edited by LEP; Feb 10, 2018, 00:05.

Comment

My first response to this is **** off oneoff you ungrateful prick.

I have been on council for one year. It definitely isn't for the money. It's pricks like you that make the job even worse.

I am paid a per diem for my efforts. But I make $1,000 a day and every day of RM business costs me big time.

If I had someone coming in a sniveling for ****ing years about conflict of interest and second guessing every decision. I would have no problem telling them to grow a ****ing pair, quit being a ****ing ***** and put your name forward to run if you can get enough people to sign your nomination papers or go to ****ing hell.

If all these problems were in fact real in your rm you would have a groundswell of support. If no one else cares then shut the hell up.

I can only hope you are not fitting in well with your fellow councillors. You would be welcomed around some council tables that I have reported on; and your "frustration" could easily lead you blurt out "whenever "oneoff" comes before council; I already know what my council position is"

Quite likely you'll get unanimous support. You certainly won't ammend your Form "B" (within 30 days of effectively conceding that your mind is rewired to not being able to act impartially when conducting council business); no matter what the topic or the circumstances.

Your internal rage is dangerous; and for what's left of democratic principle of governance simply can not remain unchallenged. With the attitude expressed you need to keep your $1000 a day job; and not infect democratic governance with your agenda and thought processes.

So starting with but a few persons....utilizing the relatively few checks and balances left to oppose....your words will be spread to expose what people like you have kept relatively secret. Few of your friends and supporters will initially do anything other than offer what you take as strong (or maybe shallow support); and you will continue to say such things as "he too much of a coward to get on council"...to say the least.

That begs the question of how one gets on council in the first place. Not likely LEP would do anything other than spread the most malicious stories and distortions to make sure it never happens. Then there is the question as to why any person would want to be associated with up to six like minded, hostile peers who could and likely would do everything up to and including calling for the RCMP to remove someone for some alleged council procedure bylaw.

After council is given more than ample opportunity to address and correct gross infractions of "Conflicts of Interest"; and they show nothing but stonewalling; or "erring on the side of caution" that conveniently provides additional coverup protection; is it not time to use some of the other legal potential remedy that the "masters" of municipalities have provided? Those are protection's the law and regulations provide...and for any council member to try to deny those protections should be grounds for 12 years of sitting in the gallery of every council chamber in the province. Could be something LEP isn't aware of. And when LEP might bill for a full day on his expense sheet "Confirming at lawyers Right to Privacy Act"; at least tell the public what was learned seeing as how the ratepayers DID pay that couple hundred and some bucks.

One possible person is the Ombudsperson. Wheels grind slowly; but they grind fine. The Ombudsman and their staff had over a thousand complaints in the first couple of years of existence since given the responsibility to recommend solutions on complaints which do have merit. That office has power; and the Tim Probe report; along with the followup of a court application resulting from a personal refusal to reign...did result in this weeks dismissal from office. Thats the heading of this topic for those who may have forgotten or not noticed. There is a web page available for everyone to access to see too many examples of how Coucil's and their member have gone wrong (without knowing it????)

Another interesting possibility is the Information and Privacy Commissioner. It's a provincial government job; there's a website meant for pertinent information supplied a respected Queen's Court lawyer; and he says in layman's language the Legislative Assembly proceedings are available word for word; cities televise their open meetings; Saskatoon council welcomes cell phones and the using of them to broadcast live accounts from the gallery; and makes the point that its past the time for school boards ( and I believe extends that to all similar public goverance bodies) to become fully open since maybe there's nothing in open meetings that are meant to be hidden. You read the web site and see if that's not his recommendations and conclusion.

If no one else cares then shut the hell up

As for that statement; Cm'on back LEP and put both your feet in your mouth explaining that one.
                                Last edited by oneoff; Feb 10, 2018, 08:50.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.