Stock Market: Correction or Crash?

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Stock Market: Correction or Crash?

helmsdale's Avatar Feb 6, 2018 | 09:10 31 If this morning is any indication this would appear to just be another opportunity to back the truck up and BTFD. Nothing to see here... Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2018 | 09:21 32
Quote Originally Posted by biglentil View Post
Unless you have 200k personal net income forget rrsp's they are a dud. Capital gains are 100% taxable inside only 50% taxable outside and 0% inside a TFSA. Gold rallied nicely today paper not lookin so hot.
Biglentil, why the slam against RRSP's? At approx. $26,000 per year it is a drop in the bucket from a "whole portfolio" perspective. TFSA's at $50,000 is also a drop in the bucket but if you have long term savings that should be the first place to put it

Yes, capital gains don't get the break like an outside investment but I also "temporarily" deducted 100% on the way in, maybe sourced from profits through capital gains investments prior....

In moderation, after assessing one's own cash flow, level of income etc, I still feel RRSP's are a good option. I think many would spend it if they didn't contribute. For me, I have always been a good saver and contributed my allowable every year. I am in my 50's and will be strategically withdrawing larger amounts in the next few years to take a big chunk of the plan out. Part of estate and enjoyment of life planning. Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2018 | 09:23 33 Come on Errol, the money didn’t evaporate it went some where else, ( 2 sides to every trade)

Defiantly not good for stock holders.

With every new Fed Head, the correction/drop = 15% in first year

We need a good East Europe drought and to test for radiation/contamination in their food exports Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2018 | 15:46 34 Dow up 567 today so basically made up half of the loss from yesterday.

Interesting market. Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2018 | 17:14 35
Quote Originally Posted by Oliver88 View Post
Dow up 567 today so basically made up half of the loss from yesterday.

Interesting market.
Computer trading. Cavuto was talking today about the percentage of total transactions that are now machine generated. Once the machine hits its number it acts. Unlike fools such as myself who wait for our losses to multiply before we pull the trigger. Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2018 | 20:23 36 This wicked global stock market volatility is likely not going away anytime soon. It may be a challenge for today’s late day Dow recovery to hold for long. To me, this heightens the risk of an incoming U.S. recession. U.S. dollar has a battle on its hands . . . . Reply With Quote
helmsdale's Avatar Feb 6, 2018 | 20:40 37
Quote Originally Posted by errolanderson View Post
This wicked global stock market volatility is likely not going away anytime soon. It may be a challenge for today’s late day Dow recovery to hold for long. To me, this heightens the risk of an incoming U.S. recession. U.S. dollar has a battle on its hands . . . .
824 Million shares today alone... wowsers. 2nd highest for the last year was yesterday. Yahoo finance says average volume ~375M. Best leave the funny money re-arranging to the machines. In a few years, they'll be filling up our kibbles dish and water bowl before they head into work for day anyway. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Feb 6, 2018 | 20:45 38
Quote Originally Posted by helmsdale View Post
824 Million shares today alone... wowsers. 2nd highest for the last year was yesterday. Yahoo finance says average volume ~375M. Best leave the funny money re-arranging to the machines. In a few years, they'll be filling up our kibbles dish and water bowl before they head into work for day anyway.
That's a disturbing thought. Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2018 | 21:12 39

Investors fled to the safety of the USD. Bahahaa Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2018 | 09:12 40 Strap-in . . . more potential U.S. stock market (global) volatility ahead. VIX shorts definitely troubled.

For what it's worth . . . tech support on Dow seen approaching 22,000 . . . but wild up days likely in store as well. Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2018 | 09:37 41 Americans are telling the pollsters that they like Trumps policies and they think their economy is strong. Reply With Quote
helmsdale's Avatar Feb 8, 2018 | 15:20 42 Down another 1000+. 10% off the highs. Everyone chattering on business networks the last few days talking about how this is no 2008. Remember 08 took two months to find a bottom. There were hardly any bears to be found pre 08 crisis. Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2018 | 15:31 43
Quote Originally Posted by errolanderson View Post
Strap-in . . . more potential U.S. stock market (global) volatility ahead. VIX shorts definitely troubled.

For what it's worth . . . tech support on Dow seen approaching 22,000 . . . but wild up days likely in store as well.
Significant correction if it goes to 22,000.

Where will you be parking your money when it gets down to that level? Reply With Quote
ajl
Feb 8, 2018 | 15:54 44 What is worse is the TSX. Today it is trading at levels below what it did in in the first half of 2008 before the big crash then. This reflects the reality that today's economy in Canuckistan is smaller than 10 years ago despite ENORMOUS amounts of fiscal and monetary stimulation. Future generation of Canuckistani will be poor. The noise you hear is the fat lady. It is over. Canuckistan, as Klause is discovering, is done. At least US markets attained some altitude to fall from.
Last edited by ajl; Feb 8, 2018 at 16:02.
Reply With Quote
helmsdale's Avatar Feb 8, 2018 | 16:21 45
Quote Originally Posted by ajl View Post
What is worse is the TSX. Today it is trading at levels below what it did in in the first half of 2008 before the big crash then. This reflects the reality that today's economy in Canuckistan is smaller than 10 years ago despite ENORMOUS amounts of fiscal and monetary stimulation. Future generation of Canuckistani will be poor. The noise you hear is the fat lady. It is over. Canuckistan, as Klause is discovering, is done. At least US markets attained some altitude to fall from.
Wait till the bond market starts getting skittish... Canadian gov't, just like most others, doesn't have a lot of fiscal room left to maneuver. Surely we can just lower interest rates to stimulate aggregate demand... Reply With Quote
GDR
Feb 8, 2018 | 16:41 46 First thought is there should be a pile of RRSP dollars going into the markets over the next few weeks. I assume that should be supportive to the markets especially the larger cap stocks the DOW and TSX is made of.

Second thought is I need to put some RRSP money in but kinda scared of all fronts, anybody got a crystal ball? Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2018 | 16:45 47 You can almost hear the 'creaks and cracks' rippling across the floor of massively underfunded and overleveraged U.S. pension funds now. American recession now fast approaching (IMO) . . . .

So much for badly needed U.S. Fed rate hikes in 2018 taming U.S. inflationary risk. Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2018 | 18:21 48
Quote Originally Posted by GDR View Post
First thought is there should be a pile of RRSP dollars going into the markets over the next few weeks. I assume that should be supportive to the markets especially the larger cap stocks the DOW and TSX is made of.

Second thought is I need to put some RRSP money in but kinda scared of all fronts, anybody got a crystal ball?
throw it in a cash account and find a bottom later Reply With Quote
GDR
Feb 8, 2018 | 18:44 49
Quote Originally Posted by MBgrower View Post
throw it in a cash account and find a bottom later
That was my thought too. Reply With Quote
Feb 8, 2018 | 19:43 50 Cash account and hope they are “too big to fail” Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2018 | 08:11 51 Cramer losing it . . . .

http://https://www.marketwatch.com/s...ket-2018-02-08

Breaking news this morning . . . .

Canada shed 88,000 jobs in January, biggest decline since 2009.
Our unemployment rises to 5.9%. Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2018 | 08:14 52
Quote Originally Posted by errolanderson View Post
Cramer losing it . . . .

http://https://www.marketwatch.com/s...ket-2018-02-08

Breaking news this morning . . . .

Canada shed 88,000 jobs in January, biggest decline since 2009.
Our unemployment rises to 5.9%.
http://https://www.marketwatch.com/s...ket-2018-02-08 Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Feb 9, 2018 | 08:15 53 https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ji...ket-2018-02-08

Errol, Seemed to be one too many http:// in the link

The video in the link doesn't seem to load for me...
Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 9, 2018 at 08:27.
Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2018 | 08:42 54
Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ji...ket-2018-02-08

Errol, Seemed to be one too many http:// in the link

The video in the link doesn't seem to load for me...
Cramer 100 second meltdown yesterday on CNBC . . . taken down? Can't find right now either.
My apologies . . . . Reply With Quote
ajl
Feb 9, 2018 | 08:46 55
Quote Originally Posted by errolanderson View Post
Cramer losing it . . . .

http://https://www.marketwatch.com/s...ket-2018-02-08

Breaking news this morning . . . .

Canada shed 88,000 jobs in January, biggest decline since 2009.
Our unemployment rises to 5.9%.
And Stat Can would have us believe 3% growth in 2017. StatsCan: FakeStats. Hello economic depression in 2018 in Canuckistan especially if the US goes into recession later this year which I think it will. Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2018 | 10:07 56
Quote Originally Posted by ajl View Post
And Stat Can would have us believe 3% growth in 2017. StatsCan: FakeStats. Hello economic depression in 2018 in Canuckistan especially if the US goes into recession later this year which I think it will.
BNN this morning: 32% of Canadians approaching retirement have no savings.

Crude breaks below $60 per barrel this morning, 8% break of-late. Horrible economic week.

Our country needs "government business leadership" more than ever before . . . right now. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Feb 9, 2018 | 10:11 57 Latest jobs numbers we had a awful after Christmas down hard on the job front.

Soon hopefully unemployed liberals will see their boy wonder is a total idiot.

In steps grass and chuck to set us strait with liberal magic and happy socks

I’m poluting today Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2018 | 10:21 58
Quote Originally Posted by errolanderson View Post
BNN this morning: 32% of Canadians approaching retirement have no savings.

Crude breaks below $60 per barrel this morning, 8% break of-late. Horrible economic week.

Our country needs "government business leadership" more than ever before . . . right now.

When the country next door is injecting an extra USD 1.5 trillion boost in an economy that is already doing very well , what can we expect ? INFLATION !!
the latest job report in US showed that wages are going up (the one sign FED was waiting to increase speed of hikes)
Inflation is going up ===> FED will hike more ===> bond yield higher ===> USD higher ===. stock markets down ===> emerging markets down ===> commodities prices down Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2018 | 11:46 59
Quote Originally Posted by errolanderson View Post
BNN this morning: 32% of Canadians approaching retirement have no savings.

Crude breaks below $60 per barrel this morning, 8% break of-late. Horrible economic week.

Our country needs "government business leadership" more than ever before . . . right now.
Minimum wage increase killing part time jobs in Ontario. Reply With Quote
Feb 9, 2018 | 12:12 60 Cdn economy justifiably doomed. Our leader/s lack the brains and will to grow this country. What a dissappointment for this resource-rich mecca! Reply With Quote