• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organic flax prices.....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organic flax prices.....

A marketing newsletter I receive stated a load of organic flax FOB farm(Manitoba) traded at $37/bu.

Anyone doing a decent job of organic farming..... I realize there may be other expenses related to growing the crop..... a year of lost production to a plow down or something but with a modest yield that is quite the gross return per acre..... good for you guys!

That's nearly 3 times the price I sold for.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      That's nearly 3 times the price I sold for.
      Yea same here ,sold mine for $12 and even at that it gave me $200 More Net per acre than my Canola !!

Comment

Our yields were poorish, 18bu/ac x $12.85=$231.10...Yikes

Comment

Neighbor sold organic wheat for next fall, $19/ bu, says average 35 bu/acre...$665/acre
          2017, 50 bu x 19= $950/ acre

Comment

Organic flax markets have traded anywhere between $35 and $42 picked up across the Prairies in the last 3 years. That is one of the strongest organic markets out there.
            Organic HRS wheat with 13+ protein has been up as high as $22 this year, and as high as $28 in the past few years when supplies of good milling wheat were tight.
            Organic oats generally run double the conventional market, and barley is much the same. Earlier this year you could sell organic malt barley for $13 picked up.
            There is increasing demand for organic grains, and with that, has come strong and stable pricing. It used to be that there were huge fluctuations in most of the organic grain prices, as there were only small opportunities to sell some commodities. Now, with the increase in organic food sales, those markets have become much more stable.

Comment

This sounds like coffee shop/pub stories.

Don’t do it. There is no money in it. Consider the exceptionally poor yields without buying fertilizer. Consider dockage, weeds for generations, thistles blowing everywhere, polluting your neighbors’ farms cultivation, disking, erosion, more tractor hours, faster depreciation, less time at the lake. The neighbors will talk about you, your land will decrease in value. More fuel burned, carbon emissions advancing climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                This sounds like coffee shop/pub stories.

Don’t do it. There is no money in it. Consider the exceptionally poor yields without buying fertilizer. Consider dockage, weeds for generations, thistles blowing everywhere, polluting your neighbors’ farms cultivation, disking, erosion, more tractor hours, faster depreciation, less time at the lake. The neighbors will talk about you, your land will decrease in value. More fuel burned, carbon emissions advancing climate change.

Let me judge for myself....send me your coordinates.

You know where I farm...google: "Slum of the Ghetto".

Methinks hobbyfrmr doth protest too much. ;-)
                Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 3, 2018, 16:10.

Comment

Hobby... why do I sense sarcasm and and a sense of market protectionism...?

Lol.

Comment

With those kinds of prices I could retire on my first crop after the three year certification process! Seed the whole farm to grass for three years...bust it, seed it, harvest it, sell it, **** it!!!!

Comment

The catch is the neighbors plow down for the 1st 5 yrs.
                      If someone can get a good organic crop..please come and show my neighbor how to do it...
                      This yr he got 1 tandem and 2 single axle trucks of bly off 140 acres...

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                        The catch is the neighbors plow down for the 1st 5 yrs.
                        If someone can get a good organic crop..please come and show my neighbor how to do it...
                        This yr he got 1 tandem and 2 single axle trucks of bly off 140 acres...
                        If those tandems and three tons are anything like guys have round here that translates, in terms of legal loads, to just shy of one liner load and two tandems...

Comment

That works out to 1100 bushels of thistle head bly... 7.8 b/a..
                          No grain bags needed on that farm..plus I get the bonus of the thistle seeds to..

Comment

I doth not protest too much. Partners may very well be my neighbor. Providing validation to my descriptions.
                            I am telling you guys don’t do it and Partners just proved it.

Comment

Hobby I think you’d be great to have a beer with sometime. I love the wit and sarcasm. 🍻

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.