Gerald Stanley murder trial starts Monday in Battleford.

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Gerald Stanley murder trial starts Monday in Battleford.

GDR
Feb 1, 2018 | 22:01 61
Quote Originally Posted by 15444 View Post
Came out that all the occupants of the vehicle were pretty loaded with alcohol, so their testimony based on recollection is suspect at best.
The driver was the least "hammered" in his words of the group cause he only had 30 shots or so that he's admitted to. How do you drive a car with no front tire 20 or 30 kms??? The girls were supposedly sleeping, my guess is passed out if they slept through all that transpired that day. one said that she didn't remember much about the afternoon until she was shown a picture of Stanley and then it all came back to her.

I'm betting there is gonna be some sort of confrontation or demonstration or something when it's over no matter what the outcome of the trial.

The live tweets on CTV and CBC are interesting to read. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 06:46 62 What kind of trial can it be? Good grief, everyone was drunk, stories changing, admission to lying. Does anyone there actually know what happened? If I was a juror, I would feel pretty mixed up right about now. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 07:52 63 not a word about the trial on CTV news last night when it (court details for the day; lies , lying on stand, robbery , loaded gun in car, spent shells, everyone drunk, already tried to steal neighbors car ,no one fishing at all ) doesn't fit their agenda ? what the news media is attempting to do is criminal . they should be investigated over this. why don't they let it get settled in court instead of trying to do it on the news . can you imagine the pressure the jury must be under ?
Last edited by caseih; Feb 2, 2018 at 08:03.
farmaholic's Avatar Feb 2, 2018 | 08:05 64 I know there is going to be some people who won't like my predictions of the outcome of this trial.

He's charged with second degree murder.

Is there enough evidence to prove self defense. Even if Boushie reached for the broken and bent 22 caliber gun, Stanley may not have known it was incapable of being fired(or could have it been) because it was bent. No one yet mentioned the fact IF Stanley was threatened with the gun.

I doubt he will get acquitted because there is a dead man as a result of his actions. I can see a manslaughter charge and doubt he would spend alot of time in jail because of it and the circumstances.

The judge may instruct the jury they can find him guilty as charged with second degree murder, a lesser charge of manslaughter, or not guilty (because of self defense). I think there is do doubt he will be found guilty, and I think manslaughter.

In saying that, the actions of those people in the vehicle have to be taken into account. The previous attempt at stealing a vehicle then coming into the Stanley yard and trying the same. The tire has been driven right off the vehicle, was there no spare in that vehicle? I would bet every one of the vehicles occupants had a cell phone or at least one did, why didn't they call home for help with the tire? Was anyone in the vehicle capable of driving or were they all impaired? In essence and under the circumstances.... did they have any business in Stanley's yard? They came in, Stanley never went looking for them.

Ultimately it is a sad case, many lives will be negatively affected and hopefully something positive can be learned from this tragedy. It's just too bad it happened at all... Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 08:11 65 Just think if Gerald Stanley and his son let those guys drive out of their yard that day instead of the way it ended. There is a pretty good chance they would of killed someones family member out on the highway. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Feb 2, 2018 | 08:18 66
Quote Originally Posted by BreadWinner View Post
Just think if Gerald Stanley and his son let those guys drive out of their yard that day instead of the way it ended. There is a pretty good chance they would of killed someones family member out on the highway.
It's a good point but there is still a dead person now anyway.... Something has to be taken from this whole experience..... Mirrors have to be handed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate the fact someone is dead because of someone else's actions. Had they rolled the vehicle and all of them would have died, would any lessons had been learned then? ..... or all the lessons that needed to be learned, or just the "don't drink and drive" one. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 08:24 67
Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
It's a good point but there is still a dead person now anyway.... Something has to be taken from this whole experience..... Mirrors have to be handed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate the fact someone is dead because of someone else's actions. Had they rolled the vehicle and all of them would have died, would any lessons had been learned then? ..... or all the lessons that needed to be learned, or just the "don't drink and drive" one.
I agree wholeheartedly , all I'm saying is , let the courts decide , not CTV and CBC. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 08:28 68 Caeih

Based on your post's, why do you torture yourself every night by watching Lisa? I have never watched Lisa, just like I have never watched Fox News. Seinfeld is on the same time as CTV late News (I think), so rather than swear at the TV, I have a good laugh every night.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the thread, just trying to suggest some stress relief to another farmer!

As for the trial, 50% of the people will be happy with the outcome while 50% will be angry! Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 08:39 69 A lot was discovered so far. Out for a fun joyride is not what happenned.
Everyone stoned.
Attempted theft
Damage to property
Operating a vehicle stoned puts everyone on that road in danger
Loaded gun in vehicle. Who's gun?
Shooting a gun from inside a vehicle
Assault on wife
Is there lieing about statements or were they too stoned to know anything that went on?

What needs to be determined is when did the gun get damaged for sure?
Where was gun in car?
Was it pointed at anyone?
Why was one saying Colten was on passenger side not driver?
Who drove into the other vehicle in the yard? Why didn't he run like the others?
Was the car used to attempt run anyone over?
What was said were their threats made?
Why did Stanley point the gun at Colton?

I think if those can be answered it will determine as bread said manslaughter or
Not guilty. But we ll see.

Terrible what happenned to Colton but also must have been terrifying for the Stanley's and happen fast.

This is not a race event.
Shame on the media and too bad it's being used as an excuse by the Colton family for why what happenned. Take some responsibility would be a start.

What would a guilty charge do? It would give the impression. That driving around stoned with a gun and entering anyone's property and doing what ever you want is ok native or not. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 08:41 70 you are absolutely right forage , gotta quit watching that garbage ! just pisses me off . thanks for the reminder. I like Seinfeld , one of the best ever . just to bad there isn't real news anymore Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 08:47 71
I know there is going to be some people who won't like my predictions of the outcome of this trial.

He's charged with second degree murder.

Is there enough evidence to prove self defense. Even if Boushie reached for the broken and bent 22 caliber gun, Stanley may not have known it was incapable of being fired(or could have it been) because it was bent. No one yet mentioned the fact IF Stanley was threatened with the gun.

I doubt he will get acquitted because there is a dead man as a result of his actions. I can see a manslaughter charge and doubt he would spend alot of time in jail because of it and the circumstances.

The judge may instruct the jury they can find him guilty as charged with second degree murder, a lesser charge of manslaughter, or not guilty (because of self defense). I think there is do doubt he will be found guilty, and I think manslaughter.

In saying that, the actions of those people in the vehicle have to be taken into account. The previous attempt at stealing a vehicle then coming into the Stanley yard and trying the same. The tire has been driven right off the vehicle, was there no spare in that vehicle? I would bet every one of the vehicles occupants had a cell phone or at least one did, why didn't they call home for help with the tire? Was anyone in the vehicle capable of driving or were they all impaired? In essence and under the circumstances.... did they have any business in Stanley's yard? They came in, Stanley never went looking for them.

Ultimately it is a sad case, many lives will be negatively affected and hopefully something positive can be learned from this tragedy. It's just too bad it happened at all...
Likely manslaughter. Wish he was acquitted but just like freedom of speech, we don't have right to self defence in this 2nd rate clusterfuck. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 09:07 72 The case is about whether Gerald Stanley shot Colten Boushie. The gun evidence so far shows that to be the case. His son already testified that his father said "I was trying to scare him and the gun went off" The firearms expert testified that it is unlikely that the gun went off on its own.

If there was going to be "I shot him in self defense" argument then why didn't his son mention this? The gun that was in the car was not usable because the stock was completely broken off according to the photos. So that makes the self defense argument less credible and unlikely at this point.

Colten Boushie was shot in the back of the head in the car. Was he awake and in a position to attack Stanley? Doesn't seem like he attacked Stanley if he was shot in the back of the head. What was Stanley's gun doing so close to the back of the head if Stanley was being threatened? Boushie's DNA was found on the gun.

In any case, some will wrongly try to justify Stanley shooting Boushie because of their attempted theft of a truck or the quad. But that does not justify killing anyone. If you intentionally shoot some one for attempted theft it is still second degree murder.

232 (1) Culpable homicide that otherwise would be murder may be reduced to manslaughter if the person who committed it did so in the heat of passion caused by sudden provocation. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 09:20 73 Doesn't matter if the gun was not ahootable as long as it was used as a threat to Stanley its self defence. No one knows whether a gun is operable or not and you certainly don't have time to ask.
That fact was given already that it doesn't have to be operable.

For example toy guns pointed at officers and people get shot.

I think all of us need to start demanding a change to the laws if you re supposed to allow stoned people of any background to enter your yard and start ramming vehicles etc. Obviously they were out of control. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 09:23 74 One already couldn't legally have a gun wonder why that is?

Chuck do you allow your kids to drive around drunk with a. Loaded gun in their vehicle? Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 09:30 75 The way I see it is He admits to accidently shooting the Boushie... there is no question who shot Colton Boushie. But why was the gun pointed at them? Boushie was not shot in the back, he was shot through the side of his head and exited out the other side of his neck. Were the lives of Stanley and his family put in danger? That is what the jury is to decide. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Feb 2, 2018 | 09:33 76 http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ol-consumption

I hope this works. play the video and at about the time from about second 45-55 shows the broken rifle. Pause the video for a closer look.

A rifle without a stock is still able to fire. But it is clear that where the bolt of the gun closes against the bullet in the chamber is bent and maybe bent to the point it couldn't contact the bullet to fire it. But if it was used as a threat to Stanley..... would have he known that.

I am trying to see this from all angles and keep an open mind.

It will work..... it's the video of pictures, "Court Exhibit Photos"....
Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 2, 2018 at 09:38.
farmaholic's Avatar Feb 2, 2018 | 09:41 77 Going out on a limb here.....

But to me the only thing that justifies the death of Colten Boushie would be self defense.... Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 09:44 78
Quote Originally Posted by the big wheel View Post
Doesn't matter if the gun was not ahootable as long as it was used as a threat to Stanley its self defence. No one knows whether a gun is operable or not and you certainly don't have time to ask.
That fact was given already that it doesn't have to be operable.

For example toy guns pointed at officers and people get shot.

I think all of us need to start demanding a change to the laws if you re supposed to allow stoned people of any background to enter your yard and start ramming vehicles etc. Obviously they were out of control.
What law would you change that would prevent people from doing stupid things?

Are you thinking we should be allowed to shoot at everyone who enters our yard, looks shady, and might be stealing something? LOL

I am all in favour of much stiffer laws against drinking and driving and distracted driving. But as we know this is a huge problem across the province and many people keep doing it regardless. Remember Don McMorris?

The solution to the problem of rural crime Is not allowing residents to shoot first and ask questions later. It will require more policing, crime prevention efforts, and making sure marginalized residents get a chance to live productive lives. Reply With Quote
GDR
Feb 2, 2018 | 09:51 79 Looking at the pictures trying to imagine how I would feel and react in that situation. The car had no front tire, dragging muffler, dents all over it, appears to have tape for one of the windows. Likely came in swerving cause of the no tire, regardless of the drinking etc. We know they tried to Jack the quad and I believe hit 2 other vehicles in the yard. Look how close to the house where the car ended up. If that car came in my yard with 5 people in it like that I know I'd be on edge. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 10:01 80
Going out on a limb here.....

But to me the only thing that justifies the death of Colten Boushie would be self defense....
Depending on what Stanley says it looks like he is not going to use the self defence argument. Otherwise his son would have mentioned it already. No doubt in the heat of the moment with adrenalin rushing it is possible he pulled the trigger without intending to.

It is a mistake to directly confront thieves. Why take a chance when in most cases the thieves will leave on their own. It is much smarter to scare them off safely, Take photos. Let the police handle them. Does everyone love their quad or truck more than their own life or family? Stanley has no doubt regretted his actions. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 10:11 81 someone and not just someone but a group of people show up in your yard drunk and pointing a gun ramming vehicles and the cops are 40 minutes away at best when you and your family are outside? To me changes the rules.

If he shot Colton without seeing a gun or the car never was directed to hurt anyone then it comes down to whether it accidentally went off.

Why would someone with no tire on the rim drive the car? Why not walk or phone for help?

Was there a spare in the back? Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 10:12 82 Do some value drinking and driving and being involved in crime hurting others more than their own life? Obviously so. You have to accept the reaction to your action. Reply With Quote
fjlip's Avatar Feb 2, 2018 | 10:13 83 "making sure marginalized residents get a chance to live productive lives."

If you have the solution please share ASAP with all of us, the situation is VERY sad and shameful.
Last night National, video on a reserve, house is a a DISASTER area, dirty ruined inside with a baby on a disgusting filthy bed. How do you FIX that? House already was FREE and still destroyed. Liberals are sending MORE money? that will work...

Maybe we need to be RESPONSIBLE for one's own actions and life. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 10:18 84
Quote Originally Posted by chuckChuck View Post
Depending on what Stanley says it looks like he is not going to use the self defence argument. Otherwise his son would have mentioned it already. No doubt in the heat of the moment with adrenalin rushing it is possible he pulled the trigger without intending to.

It is a mistake to directly confront thieves. Why take a chance when in most cases the thieves will leave on their own. It is much smarter to scare them off safely, Take photos. Let the police handle them. Does everyone love their quad or truck more than their own life or family? Stanley has no doubt regretted his actions.
How do you safely scare a car load of intoxicated people with a gun and a flat tire off your place? Take a picture and go into house wait to see what happens next while you wait for however long it takes the police to arrive.
You are one very brave man if you can do that.
Is there a book with instructions with proper protocol and procedures? Maybe someone should write one. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 10:42 85
someone and not just someone but a group of people show up in your yard drunk and pointing a gun ramming vehicles and the cops are 40 minutes away at best when you and your family are outside? To me changes the rules.

If he shot Colton without seeing a gun or the car never was directed to hurt anyone then it comes down to whether it accidentally went off.

Why would someone with no tire on the rim drive the car? Why not walk or phone for help?

Was there a spare in the back?
What are the rules you refer to?

Where is the evidence that anyone from the Boushie car pointed a gun? No one has testified that yet. The broken stock was lying back in the other yard I believe. The gun was damaged perhaps beyond use.

It sounds like the vehicle rammed a stanley vehicle as it was trying to leave. The intoxicated driver without a front tire perhaps lost control in their panic to leave? We don't know.

It doesn't sound like they showed up in the yard brandishing weapons and threatning the Stanleys. It sounds like they were looking to steal a vehicle so they could use it to drive home and were scared off.

It seems like the Stanleys decided to confront the intruders and aggressively scare them off. If the intruders were openly threatening with a gun then I doubt Stanley's son would have hit the car windshield with a hammer. If he did he is not very smart.

Where is the evidence that it was necessary to shoot Boushie? It hasn't been presented yet. In fact Stanleys son said that the gun went off accidently, and not that Stanley shot Boushie in self defense. Reply With Quote
fjlip's Avatar Feb 2, 2018 | 10:45 86 For sure if you have a phone on you, USE IT! Pics video plates etc. Send to contacts instantly, if no firearm/bat/poly pipe handy take cover. Lock doors but be prepared for the worst if forcing entry happens.

I like the case of 18 year old mother in Kansas, with baby in house, used a shot gun point blank on an intruder. He never scared/hurt anyone ever again. Castle Law. She got a medal. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 10:45 87
Quote Originally Posted by binthere View Post
Do some value drinking and driving and being involved in crime hurting others more than their own life? Obviously so. You have to accept the reaction to your action.
What reaction is acceptable and is within the law? Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 10:50 88
Quote Originally Posted by fjlip View Post
"making sure marginalized residents get a chance to live productive lives."

If you have the solution please share ASAP with all of us, the situation is VERY sad and shameful.
Last night National, video on a reserve, house is a a DISASTER area, dirty ruined inside with a baby on a disgusting filthy bed. How do you FIX that? House already was FREE and still destroyed. Liberals are sending MORE money? that will work...

Maybe we need to be RESPONSIBLE for one's own actions and life.
As I have said before we signed the treaties and created the indian act so we are all responsible. It is a shared responsibility. Individuals are responsible, first nations and the greater society as well.

If there was easy answers it would have been solved before now. Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 10:52 89

What would a guilty charge do? It would give the impression. That driving around stoned with a gun and entering anyone's property and doing what ever you want is ok native or not.
Life in rural Saskatchewan has become very dangerous, it appears. I have never encountered a car load of drunks while alone in a farm yard, miles from help; especially a car load of drunks with weapons, and hope I never do. I don't know how long it would take for help or back-up but even a few minutes may be too long, depending how desperate they are. Just putting myself in the Stanley's shoes, I don't know what I would have done. How would I protect my family? And a car load of white drunks isn't any different, maybe worse.

Big Dog Wanted - Very Big Dog - maybe two.

Just another aside, when we visited a merchant in Mexico, their yards were surrounded by solid steel fence with electric barbed wire on top. Two dobermans or bull mastifs in each corner of yard. When they came back to visit us in minus 35 Saskatchewan, they couldn't believe that we had no fences, no gates, no dogs, no defense. I like to think we will never need to change but.... Reply With Quote
Feb 2, 2018 | 10:57 90
Quote Originally Posted by fjlip View Post
For sure if you have a phone on you, USE IT! Pics video plates etc. Send to contacts instantly, if no firearm/bat/poly pipe handy take cover. Lock doors but be prepared for the worst if forcing entry happens.

I like the case of 18 year old mother in Kansas, with baby in house, used a shot gun point blank on an intruder. He never scared/hurt anyone ever again. Castle Law. She got a medal.
These situations are very rare. I don't know of anyone in my area who has had an unknown intruder enter the house while occupied. More common would be an angry, jealous, estranged spouse or ex boyfriend which is a much more common and very dangerous situation for women and children. Domestic violence is a very big problem and much more likely cause of death. Reply With Quote