• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Trip to canada

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Trip to canada

One question ive been asked and i couldnt because i dint take much notice, "usa montana border, what there a mesh fence? 1 km of no mans land either side of the border?" ive said to people honestly dont know someone enlighten me.

Been reminiscing, another thing i thought was cool was the cypress hills they just sort spring up out of nowere and what in 30 miles your out of there. Entered from medicine hat side.

Wife misses cheap vodka and never got to try the dill pickle vodka in regina.

Lack of highway police, my wife when we came home went out for the day about a 125 km round trip through 1 small town 1000 another two about 6000 kinda took her about 5 hours by the time she did all the stuff she had to do. Anyway got home and she said ive seen more coppers and speed cameras today than we did in a whole month in canada and usa.

Amazed by so many chain restuarants eg , mr mikes steak wasnt the best, the keg and steakhuse was good, another presume chain the cattle baron alberta that one was the best. presume those 3 are chains? In saskatoon downtown seemed to be more dedicated restuarants not chains.

Other food comments some times the dingiest looking diners in tiny towns are the best, plentywood montana was a cracker and had a good chat with local farmers there one morning.

A well rounded meal is a steak and the well rounded bit is the shape of the potato...... salads and or hot vegtables are hardly seen, but guess i was there in summer.

Your co-ops went to one in brooks wow sold everything hot dogs and other fast food beverages of all sorts did i see beer ? think i did. As well as all farming requsites.

Farmers can buy premixed chems bought to farms and you just add water.

Pockets of machinery when driving to klauses noticed you go for say 6 or 8 miles and see lots and lots of mf then back to jd then few miles later case red and again mf might pop up again guess depends on dealers. But have to say green and case red most prominent followed by nh then everyhting else.

Nothing like the sound of a 6.7 litre cummins in a pickup at the stop lights next to you or 7.3 ford

did i tell you guys i fell off a horse on a trail ride at jasper slow mo video would have been good......3 hours was good ride.

All the dead trees on that trail ride higher the elevation seemed slightly less dying but not much.

My night out in a bar which im sure you guys never heard of "cougars" in turner valley learnt to drink double jacks with locals presume yukon jack is canadian whiskey.

Probably better boots around but went to dedicated redwing store amazed by how many boots and about 40% cheaper than australia i got lace up goretex steel toe. Ive got a wide hoof best boot of ever owned redwing dont bring super wide into aust.

You guys seem to prefer beer out of cans rather than bottles.

Canadian wine leaves a little to be desired.

Not sure what am radio station it was but real informative farm wise and weather.

A town called airdrie was a "shithole" sorry if ive offended any residents couldnt find a decent meal or accomadation stayed in crap hotel.

Best jean shop Irvines at crossfield followed by frontier at Claresholm just as cheap as states.

Found peace river region unique from a farming perspective spend more time up there next time. Didnt venture into any bars there got told it can be a tad rough at times.

Interesting seeing AB thru a visitors eyes.
    Crossed border at Aden a couple times. Miles of gravel to get to and maybe a small barb wire fence for cattle. Since 911 US spent money on their side on buildings.

Comment

Yukon jack a liquer. Cans dont bust when frozen or tossed around, take less space.

Comment

And a lotta the kids chip their diesel pickups.

Comment

Glad the place we went to made the good list. HA HAHAHAH. The border is a border and just try to cross into the USA. But you can walk north into canada and be met with open arms.

Peace is a nice area and hard to believe that far north its awesome farm land.

Wild horses are chased back to far side and so far aren't on our land. Still no one is trying to catch them or claim them. Seen some Elk lately about 21 on our side and buddy said the pasture to the north east has well over a hundred.

Moose two walked through the yard on Monday. Big dog had fun and chased.

Comment

Interesting observations, Mallee. Thx.

Comment

In about 1986, I needed to goto a farmer's yard south of Radville. Radville is south east of Regina and very near the American border. It was hot and dry and since it was before gps, I wandered around on the dusty backroads, looking for the yard. I saw a farmyard so decided to stop for directions. The farmer pointed out the intended yard and informed me that I had accidently crossed the border into the USA. I skidaddled back north and made my call at the intended yard with no consequences. I guess this was a common occurence since there was no marker of any kind. That may have changed since then.

Comment

Wow you saw more of western Canada than many who live here.

Never been to the peace river country. I hear it is really good farm land when it rains.

Would the double jacks be jack Daniels?

Yes the border is pretty wide open. But I think if you went across between customs crossings nowadays sumdum, you would get a visit from someone.

Saskatoon has a lot of unique foodie type restaurants now. It is worth trying out for those that don't get there often.

Comment

Dunno if its true or not but a buddy who farms right on the border at Climax swears there's pressure sensors all along it now. Cross it headed south and somebody is going to check you out. As others have suggested, cross it headed north and Prime Minister Selfie will meet you with a cheque and the Welcome Wagon lady. But I digress.

Its fun to see our country through a different lens. "Western Canadian Agriculture" covers a multitude of sins. Its hard to believe Medicine Hat and Melfort are barely more than 500 km apart.

To answer the question, for most of that border there might be a barb wire fence but there won't be much more than that. If you don't know where the border is then you probably don't belong there anyway. That's certainly the attitude Homeland Insecurity will take.
                  Last edited by bobofthenorth; Jan 18, 2018, 13:38.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...