• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping Delays

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping Delays

I think we are in for a long winter at VCV.

I spent the past weekend in Vancouver. Steady light rain for 2 days and dreary for one day. My conclusion was, extreme cold prairie weather can kill you. Vancouver dreary weather can make you kill yourself!
    I will stay on the prairies for the time being.

Comment

They put roofs on some stadiums.... but somehow they can't/don't/won't put a roof over the bulk grain loading berths? Maybe it doesn't have to be big enough to cover the whole ship...only the cargo area being loaded? Is it possible? I've never been to a grain port before.

Comment

I've been to grain terminals a couple of times. In the rain. They open the hold cover part ways. Tarp most of the opening. They need to leave a little opening for the air being displaced by the incoming grain. YES, they load in the rain. Go see for yourselves!!!

Comment

Lived in Vancouver for 4 years. Everything was ALWAYS wet!

Have loaded pellets and canola screenings at Pacific terminals (was viterra at the time), and richardson. Boats loaded rain, fog, or sunshine... so do the trucks... 1 hour sitting in the pouring rain with tarps wide open. What a gross mess to unload. When you tarp up and water is running out of your gates you know a disaster awaits when u get back to ab/sk and it's -30°.

Boats covered up as well as could be done. Takes a LONG time to load a boat and in Vancouver let alone prince Rupert, rain free winter days are rare.

Comment

Yes, they can load in the rain. But the longshoreman and their union don't like to, so therefore, it doesn't happen. Talk to anyone who's worked at the port- the longshoreman union is horrible to deal with and if they can find a way to drag things out, they do. Almost worse than the railways

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.