• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land values in your area?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land values in your area?

I am planning on starting to sell some of my land, as there are no family members, to pass it onto. We are at the age where my wife and I want to retire in 5 years. We are in east central Sask. and curious what land is going for in your area. I have heard 2 times assessment around hear. Thanks for any input to help me establish a value.

North Regina just before you hit the shit before the valley 375000 north valley Good dirt cupar 326000 and higher our area 426000 and down rose town 525000 swift some 526000 and Alberta some areas I’m hearing 800000 a quarter.

Good time to quit.

Comment

Apples to apples and oranges to oranges not apples to oranges. All the info will be interesting but the only thing that will determine your sell price is what's happening in your backyard.

Land quality and open acres, local competition, yadda yadda yadda...

Comment

Harvesting equity out of land is the smartest thing to be doing right now. Most have lost sight of the fact that loose monetary policy=rising land values and tightening monetary policy, which is ongoing right now=lower land values. Most of the last 40 years have been loose monetary policy except the early 1980's and right now and we know what happened in the 80's. Couple that with growing production in FSU, South America, the USA (they are scaling back the CRP). Right now B of C is desperately trying to tighten before the Venezuelan end game for Canuckistan. When selling land make sure you get greenbacks not loons for it. B of C governor has said Bitcoin is speculative and not a store of value but then so is the loon which is the problem here. Not all land in AB is $800000 per quarter as well. There is still some areas around $1000 per acre as well but you don't here much about that. That will be pasture land with limited to no cropping ability of course in wet fringe areas.

Comment

If it never comes up for sale, and if it does, and is a deal between and uncle and a nephew, does land have value?

Comment

Around here it always used to sell times assessment but now you most often hear $ per acre and I don't think people even look at the assessment because it doesn't seem to matter if its good land or poor land as long as they are square quarters or half's.

I think out here a long ways from town 1600-1800 and if you get closer to Tisdale I would guess 2000-2400. That works out to around 3 times assessment.

Comment

What so many people don't seem to know about is Comparable land sales. On the Sask Farmland securities website , it cost $20 per rm to get actual land sale numbers. We do it once a year for our area and it tells the true sales numbers. No coffee shop numbers here.
              http://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/government-structure/boards-commissions-and-agencies/farm-land-security-board-and-farm-ownership/search-the-comparable-land-sales-database

Comment

Beware of those numbers. In certain areas where big investors have interest there is lots of under table side deals which is good for the land owner and good for the buyer as if your buying you don't want land values to be advertised high. Some guys do it to get around losing pensions etc. It's happening a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                  Beware of those numbers. In certain areas where big investors have interest there is lots of under table side deals which is good for the land owner and good for the buyer as if your buying you don't want land values to be advertised high. Some guys do it to get around losing pensions etc. It's happening a lot.
                  In our area the majority of the land is bought by known outfits and most are " corporate family farms". The investors were here 10 years ago , and most have since resold back to locals. Doubled their money I might add.

Comment

Land is worth whatever someone is willing to pay you for it.

Comment

I second the comparable land sales data site in Saskatchewan as being solid information and well worth the $20/ search / RM. It bothers me that our rural land values are of public interest and are viewed in the public domain, but when we went shopping for houses with the next generation it seems to be a different story in the city. If you want comparable land sales data in the city, it seems you need a realtor. Seems like a contradiction, when rural values are public but urban is private. I hear that someone has taken TREB, Toronto real estate board, to court and won over this closed system of info, but naturally the decision has been appealed. A related story to the under the table sales, had a friend of mine sell land to an elderly(90) man. The old guy wrote him a cheque made out to my friend and the bank, as mt friend owed money on the land and said it needed to be paid that way, and a second cheque was made out to CASH. Why are you paying in two parts asked my friend? It took a lot of explaining for buddy to catch on and at one point during the explaination he thought he had lost the sale when the old guy threw himself back in his chair and took a little to long to come back around.

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post
                        Land is worth whatever someone is willing to pay you for it.
                        Absolutely, agree 4 square corners, "legal drainage" is HUGE now as WSA clamps down.
                        Proximity, building a BLOCK seems to be worth more to buyer. Usually open, landscaped, does have highest assessment. Last known sale 15 miles away, $300,000 a quarter.

Comment

Put a tender in the paper.
                          Kijiji..or call all your neighbors..they will try to out bid each other..might be surprised what you will get offered...Greed will set in..

Comment

Originally posted by AC man View Post
                            I am planning on starting to sell some of my land, as there are no family members, to pass it onto. We are at the age where my wife and I want to retire in 5 years. We are in east central Sask. and curious what land is going for in your area. I have heard 2 times assessment around hear. Thanks for any input to help me establish a value.
                            tender it , then pick the youngest guy who bids , and give him first chance to match highest bid , is what I would do , 1800 an ac here last one . northeast corner of sask farmland

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghetto.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	766129

Half section, $1970/ac (last June)

Imagery: April 2012 wetter years here.
                              Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 18, 2017, 18:08.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.