• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sucker rod posts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sucker rod posts

Anyone use these for barb wire fence? Seen a guy in Alberta on pfr years back making them. I made some myself and then forgot about it till now and started building some again. I use a 6” nail for more meat and allows for way more weld. What are your thoughts?

Looks like a bit of work but then so do barb fences to me! How long do you think the nail and it's attachment will last for? Would be a pain if the nail rusted out and the sucker rods were still good.

Comment

Yes I wondered about the nails rusting too. What got me believing they would last is that my uncle and I built a bunch in 2002. He did a 1/2 mile and I used them mostly for patch jobs in rough ground and a stretch at the yard. These were done with 4” and 5” d nails. To this day I haven’t had any rusting of nails or breaking. Now I went to Rona looking for 5” d nails and little to be had. Everyone uses air nails and screws so no demand for nails in bulk. Ended up with 6” but happy with that choice.

Comment

We used to make sucker rod posts too. They were 8 footers to stay in the hills and low spots better. We took light chain and cut the links and twisted them open to put the wire in after welding them on. We got lots here from 20-30 years ago and you can still open the links up to change wire or pull the post and move it.

We bought a bunch from the guy at drayton valley this year that makes them and I believe they were $5.75 for a six foot four wire with the twisted nails. They outlast staples here.

This one is 20 years old and will likely get pulled and reused when we relocate the fence next year.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
          We used to make sucker rod posts too. They were 8 footers to stay in the hills and low spots better. We took light chain and cut the links and twisted them open to put the wire in after welding them on. We got lots here from 20-30 years ago and you can still open the links up to change wire or pull the post and move it.

We bought a bunch from the guy at drayton valley this year that makes them and I believe they were $5.75 for a six foot four wire with the twisted nails. They outlast staples here.

This one is 20 years old and will likely get pulled and reused when we relocate the fence next year.
          The guy at Drayton is reasonable for those posts. I know how long it takes me to build a post. Besides 3-4” 6’ wood posts around here are selling for $4.25. It’s a no brainer what I’d buy. Yesterday we brushed out a fence line and put up a new fence with sucker rod posts. Shoved them in with the loader. You wouldn’t do that in half froze ground with wood. When I get over Christmas I’m going to experiment with polish rod corner posts and braces. Seen it done before with success.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
            The guy at Drayton is reasonable for those posts. I know how long it takes me to build a post. Besides 3-4” 6’ wood posts around here are selling for $4.25. It’s a no brainer what I’d buy. Yesterday we brushed out a fence line and put up a new fence with sucker rod posts. Shoved them in with the loader. You wouldn’t do that in half froze ground with wood. When I get over Christmas I’m going to experiment with polish rod corner posts and braces. Seen it done before with success.

We've never used polish rod as posts or braces so please "post" some pics. We just sink two 10' of 2 7/8" pipe and weld a horizontal and have decided to hang swinging gates so my folks and wife have an easy time using them. A few more dollars upfront but should save on maintenance and keep everyone including me happier 😎

Two 18 footers so the combine header can fit whenever it gets rotated to grain.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              We've never used polish rod as posts or braces so please "post" some pics. We just sink two 10' of 2 7/8" pipe and weld a horizontal and have decided to hang swinging gates so my folks and wife have an easy time using them. A few more dollars upfront but should save on maintenance and keep everyone including me happier 😎

Two 18 footers so the combine header can fit whenever it gets rotated to grain.
              That looks great. When I do a pipe corner I’m usually alone so I do an N brace. Do enough you can trim out the brace not bad. With the polish rod I want it so I can set a corner quick and easy.

Comment

Looks good....and I have finally figured out to put hinges at a 90 as well.....parallel with fence doesn't seem to last long before someone or something hits 'em>

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                  That looks great. When I do a pipe corner I’m usually alone so I do an N brace. Do enough you can trim out the brace not bad. With the polish rod I want it so I can set a corner quick and easy.
                  We just use the welder and crank the heat up and burn the vertical pipes to saddle the horizontal and that way your length isn't critical. I do these while my wife is unrolling wire and just need a hand to hold the pipe while we use the loader or hoe to sink them.

I can stand on the end of a 18' gate and it hardly moves. Probably break the gate first. 😉

The low ground we sink ten feet with a female connector on the top end and thread another ten foot on the end of it and push that in. Those will still have the frost lift them very slowly.

Comment

We use the sucker rod posts for difficult terrain (foot access only) and they work OK. If you are building your own you can buy open link chain that works pretty well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.