• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Census number of Farms

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Census number of Farms

2016 census shows 5797 less farms in Mb, Sk and Ab combined compared to 2011.
    Since 1996 the decrease is 50433 farms.
    We are disappearing guys, people exiting en mass.
    Pennies of a return on millions of investment.

The ROI has become so much worse with the hyper-inflated land prices! But for guys who bought land before 08....it doesn't mean as much. Coming from a guy with $65K quarters(highest paid)....lol

"Investors" here seem happy with about 3.5%....

Comment

The "potential" young farmers are basically shut out of the market here. But I guess you can still be a farmer whether you BUY or RENT.

Just think how much more profitable and efficient all those huge powerhouse farms are! Keep up or get the **** out of the way!

Comment

Ya 50000 in 20 years, 2500 per year is a huge number. Feel the same, sad that the rural areas will be so empty, towns are being demolished, homes worth less. Number of voters declining, no voice in governments.
        When I was a teen everything was progressing/being built, schools , churches, rinks were full and busy.
        Now do we say regressing, demolishing, closing, empty unused.
        Last edited by fjlip; Dec 11, 2017, 18:06.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
          Ya 50000 in 20 years, 2500 per year is a huge number. Feel the same, sad that the rural areas will be so empty, towns are being demolished, homes worth less. Number of voters declining, no voice in governments.
          When I was a teen everything was progressing/being built, schools , churches, rinks were full and busy.
          Now do we say regressing, demolishing, closing, empty unused.
          the trend is likely to increase in rate, who wants to farm 50,000 acres. lots of mid size farms here disappeared in the last 15 years.
          Last edited by MBgrower; Dec 11, 2017, 18:25.

Comment

A graph/chart would be very interesting. ...from the rise of the west being settled to the present. Wonder what the Depression/30's time frame would look like.

Comment

We have to make room for all of Justin terrorist friends to live and work and kill people.

Comment

Looks like ag census was every ten years before 1951

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alberta farms.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	766114

Name:	Manitoba farms.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	766116

Name:	Saskatchewan farms.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	766115

Comment

Thanks 101

I was expecting a more animated trend but I guess it doesn't really surprise me.....there's been a steady decline in Man and Sask since the beginning of the Forties. I wonder why Alta was fairly stable for thirty years beginning in the mid Sixties.

By the look of the farm sizes in the last census....my prediction is we will continue to see both the # of farms decrease and farm size increase. Where will it stabilize?

Thanks for focussing on the Prairie Provinces....no point in skewing results with BC sized farms.

Comment

Likely Alberta oil stabilized farms for a while

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

Thanks for focussing on the Prairie Provinces....no point in skewing results with BC sized farms.
                      Like Douglas Lake you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                        Like Douglas Lake you mean?
                        I'm assuming that's a huge ranch?
                        .....and I think you know what I mean.

Comment

BC Farms

Name:	BC Farms.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	766117

Comment

See grassy, see....I told you so!

101...now look what you started!

Edit: HEY! IF THE NUMBER OF BC FARMS HAS BEEN FAIRLY STATIC....HOW CAN FARM SIZE BE GROWING(marginally????)? WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THE EXTRA LAND FROM? I THOUGHT THEY WEREN'T MAKING ANY MORE?
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 11, 2017, 23:00.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
                              We have to make room for all of Justin terrorist friends to live and work and kill people.
                              Yeah... darn all those farmers twenty years ago who started selling out to help gain space for JT. What foresight!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...