• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soy did over expansion on a crop thats just not ready hurt?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soy did over expansion on a crop thats just not ready hurt?

Soy did over expansion on a crop thats just not ready. Were farmers looking for the magic crop and didn't see that Rain is needed at the wrong time of the year to get big yields.
    Soybean acres in Western Canada jumped a phenomenal amount this year, rising to 3.1 million in 2017 from 1.8 million in 2016, says a post on producer.com.
    But acres will likely shrink in 2018 because soybean yields were below average in Manitoba and awful in Saskatchewan.
    Dennis Lange, Manitoba Agriculture soybean and pulse expert, holds that opinion, He projects 2018 area at two million acres in the province, down from 2.29 million in 2017.
    “I think we’ll see a bit of a drop this year. Just because of how dry things were… yields were a little more reduced,” Lange said at a November meeting in Brandon on the potential of a soybean crushing plant being built in western Manitoba.

Its funny because the grain companies and others are falling all over them selves building Soy Treatment plants instead of updating their grain handling system.

Soy is it, blah blah blah.

Yes it is a fun crop to grow probably the best thing i have ever enjoyed but profit is more important than a fun crop to grow. The Time when you need a good drink of water is same time your trying to harvest peas or malt barley. So get no malt or flat peas to harvest and great soy crop. But one cold night and well your done.

Its going to come and it will be a great crop but just like our Leader Sock Boy its just not here yet.
    Last edited by SASKFARMER3; Dec 1, 2017, 08:22.

If soy comes through a wet August just fine then it would seem having a field would be a good hedge. That's if you have the equipment now.
    Seed cost is the problem. Low inputs for 2018 because of poor moisture reserves may dictate which crops are selected.
    Seeding a wall to wall specialty crop would require insider information. Otherwise prepare to store for multi years.

Comment

I agree one good rain in August would have made the Soy crops in our area awesome. But the Barley and Peas would of been toast. Now the protein thing in soy as a grade factor next .

Comment

There was a lot of hope for soy and there was acres in the Edmonton area as well, Hearing yields of 20 to 35 bu/ac which is not going to cut it. With the way things are going summer fallow is the clear winner for '18. Welcome to 1985.

Comment

Chem Fallow.

No wind blowing fields. Work once and then spray.

Yea i agree with soys costs Seed Fert and Inoculant you need a 40 or better.

But i still think it will find its place but hopefully they keep working on new varieties that can work in Canada and not just be a filler for second crop in the USA after winter wheat.

Really thats what the short season was bred for.

Comment

Totally disagree.

Soy seed cost can be elevator price to a farmer. At 20, there is money, as you can't spend input dollars on them. At 35, there is gobs of cash to be made. 2017, another gob of a year. Will repeat for 2018.

Sure, go with patented, seed grower-company bagged, stacked ones, and lose your shirt, but that was your choice.

Comment

In our area checking the old varieties off patends won’t work so no gobs of money.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.