• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1000th load

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000th load

1000 b trains of grain hauled since moving to SK...

Damn near enough to fill a boat.

376,000 km.

And you haven’t been to my place yet. Lol

Comment

Wanna haul flax 550kms to Winkler? Back hauls out of there might be hard to get...maybe fert?

Comment

400kms per round trip per load ....good show....proves how ****ed up our logistics infrastructure is....

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          Wanna haul flax 550kms to Winkler? Back hauls out of there might be hard to get...maybe fert?
          Could do depending on time frame... We bring corn back from Winkler for Feed Mills and canola meal too from bunge

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            400kms per round trip per load ....good show....proves how ****ed up our logistics infrastructure is....
            Interesting stats actually if you analyze all the info over loads...

Most profitable are those between 35 and 70 km.

Hauling west burns 7% less fuel than east.

Empty run time 35%

Hauling canola from here to Altona mb reloading with canola in portage and taking it to yorkton then reloading in churchbridge and taking that to Cargil Clavet... That's screwy LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
              Interesting stats actually if you analyze all the info over loads...

Most profitable are those between 35 and 70 km.

Hauling west burns 7% less fuel than east.

Empty run time 35%

Hauling canola from here to Altona mb reloading with canola in portage and taking it to yorkton then reloading in churchbridge and taking that to Cargil Clavet... That's screwy LOL.

Why's there a difference hauling east vs west??
              Here the only elevator is east otherwise a couple of feedlots to the west unless you jump the big rock pile and send feed to chilliwack😉

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                Why's there a difference hauling east vs west??
                Here the only elevator is east otherwise a couple of feedlots to the west unless you jump the big rock pile and send feed to chilliwack😉
                Elevation chnage(uphill going west, downhill going east), and prevailing wind. I notice the same thing, even in a car, but our elevation change is much steeper than it is further east.

Comment

Noticed for years, in AB going down grades increases mileage MORE than going up grades decreases mileage...LUCKY AB! Net is overage better. Another reason is AB highways are THICKER/HARDER than in SK and MB.

Comment

Here is all hills so even with 500 ponies on a super you don't get to use cruise loaded and mileage sucks both ways. Although the tri drive bale truck with a freshly rebuilt 475 cummins cruise is handy.

I will dispute the claim of AB roads being better/harder as our highway has "pig troughs" in it and when it starts raining at least the road looks smooth again...... till you drive in them😏

Comment

When we used to custom truck we liked the loads 10 miles or less
                      Got 12 loads in one day with one truck
                      No line ups was blizzarding but not bad enough to stop us. Just load abs drive right into terminal and dump
                      I think that was a record for us

A few other things I remember

5 bin buts was the most bins we cleaned out for one truck load

Comment

When I do bin bottoms I preload gravity wagons and single axle, 1100 bushels augered from there into super-b then finish the load from a full bin. I hate to keep truckers waiting (and use the same company all the time so when something does go to shit they are pretty understanding)

Comment

When we started trucking there was not the bin set ups they have now. That was back in the last millennium.
                          Lots of farmers were still using wooden bins and most grain augers were 7 inch augers with out movers on them.
                          Things sure have changed a lot in the last 20 years on most farms. Don’t see many wooden bins any more.
                          We still have a few but have not used them since we got a grain bagger.

Lots more hopper bins now and big capacity grain bins.

We mostly did local hauling 50 km or less. We cleaned bins as part of our service. Only slept in the truck a couple of times the 12 years we trucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                            1000 b trains of grain hauled since moving to SK...

Damn near enough to fill a boat.

376,000 km.

I missed the joke Klause . ....you are on pace with the railways filling a boat....well done

Comment

Ironically we are in the process of cleaning up old yards and our own. Last fall we torched old wooden bins in two yards we've owned for a while. They would have been able to be used for storage in a pinch. Currently, like a couple of days ago, we burnt five out of our own yard. Dragged them off the railroad ties I put under them when I was young and full of energy. They were in pretty darn good shape except the roofs were at the point they would have needed to be tinned. Old outdated stuff. But still kinda sad to see them destroyed after the years of effort trying to keep them in decent shape. We even build shoots to stick augers into to get more grain out without shovelling so much. Seven inch augers...lol. Now it's mostly hoppers with a ten inch load out and a thirteen inch to fill them. Trailers that hold as much grain as the wooden bins...and more. How many back breaking bushels did I dig out of the corners of those old bins? Surely some of the best could have been kept to store "stuff"....but the young generations seem to lack seeing "value". Easy come easy go....scares me!

Consolidating bin bottoms....I did it too. When the custom trucker took the "tops" off and left, I would vac out the bottoms, load it when he got back and top off from a full bin. I didn't want to be that yard nobody wanted to haul out of. I think he appreciated it.....he never turned down my work.

The old wooden structures out lived their useful practical purpose of storing grain....remember how many one ton truck loads it took to empty them? And shovelling them out through and around the cables/rods used to brace them together. And then using heavy cumbersome grain vac hoses.....nothing was "easy" when it came to using wooden bins. Hell, I even remember going in and shovelling them "full" when there was a good crop and space was at a premium. On the bright side.....what I shovelled in didn't have to be shovelled out! Lol. Then when emptying them...going in and cleaning off the top wall plate where the wall and roof met. And then sweeping them out so clean a mouse wouldn't survive a week in them.

I don't think I'm lamenting the loss of them as much as reminiscing using them. Maybe I am lamenting the fact that I am slowly, but surely, approaching the end of my practical usefullness like the old wooden bins. I see my father as an observer today. So interested in what's going on out here but relegated to the sidelines. Probably wishing he could be more actively involved but is resigned to watch from a distance....tomorrow he will turn 83. Happy Birthday and thanks for everything. ....when it came to his family...the most generous man you could ever want! And as those wooden bins are reduced to ashes and a pile of nails.....I just can't help but to think a little part of him was lost too.....

Take care....
                              Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 3, 2017, 11:21.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.