Alberta to lead economic growth in Canada in 2018

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Alberta to lead economic growth in Canada in 2018

Nov 28, 2017 | 07:30 1 Many posters on this forum claims Notley has destroyed the Alberta economy. Then why is Alberta forecast to lead Economic growth in Canada in 2017 with a real growth rate of 3.3%? Conference Board of Canada news release states:
"Following two years of contractions, Alberta’s economy is expected to outperform all provinces and grow by 3.3 per cent this year. Non-conventional oil production in the province will see a big increase this year thanks to new capacity coming online, while energy investment is expected to make a comeback this year and next. Outside of the energy sector, Alberta is benefiting from improvements in labour markets, consumer demand, and the housing sector. A bright outlook for the province’s manufacturing sector as a result of the new Sturgeon refinery, along with the rebuilding efforts in Fort McMurray, will also contribute to Alberta’s strong economic growth this year."http://www.conferenceboard.ca/press/...ookieSupport=1
Last edited by dmlfarmer; Nov 28, 2017 at 09:03.
Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 28, 2017 | 07:48 2 HA HHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH


Nut Case is on her way out another feel good story.

Election is in the air.

Just like Christmas. Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 07:59 3 SF3 you insult the people of Alberta with your stupid little "right wing" "left wing" jabs. Truth is Governments come and go and they don't run the businesses of a province. The people of AB don't change when there is a change of Government, they have the same work ethic and business sense they always had so why would the results change? Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 08:20 4 Dml in 2015 Alberta's economy shrank 4%, in 2016 it shrank another 3.8%. It was certainly bound to recover to some extent with the price of oil and the completion of a few large oil sands projects that were under construction before the oil price crash. Unemployment is still I think 7.8% and government revenues still haven't fully recovered. Next years projected growth is just over 2% I believe. Sometimes politicians toot their own horn before they really should imo! Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 08:34 5 Dml, kind of funny, click on financial post web page after being on Agriville and this headline jumps out at me"B.C. Is now the worst destination in Canada for oil and gas investors-and among the worst in the world:survey". It appears the NDP government in BC is viewed as somewhat anti-business, now there's a surprise lol 😀 Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 09:11 6 Where do these left-wing lunatics think tax dollars come from? Reply With Quote
ajl
Nov 28, 2017 | 10:10 7 Very misleading. Fact is that it is growth off of a shrunken base. Then you compare to the rest of Canuckistan in which the real economy is shrinking. Name one private sector growth initiate in Canuckistan in the last decade. Then you have FT Mac rebuilding which is replacing a huge amount of wealth destroyed by fire which is the broken windows theory of economics. Should pay vandals to destroy in order to spur economic growth. The rebuilding effort there has a damper effect on growth elsewhere and in the future. The big surprise is while Notley and crew have for the most part destroyed, it is not worse around here. Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 10:56 8 The Conservative memory is short. It was the falling price of oil that caused Alberta to go into recession. Notley is pro pipeline you knob heads. The election is coming now its time to blame Notley for the recession! Too Funny ! Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 13:05 9 Alberta is a long ways from getting out of this economic fire given worsening credit ratings and explosive government debt load. This hasn't been given much media attention given its potential long-term impact.

Alberta leading Canada's recovery is a 'play-on-numbers' as our business activity has shrunk significantly. This is a bounce in an already overall smaller, struggling economy. Calgary, as an example, has to now re-invent its economy. The oil industry will no longer carry-the-load. Downtown remains a ghost town with 30% plus office vacancy and more small business 'closing up' shop. The technology industry has to be built and offer diversity, but this may take years to develop.

The quickly expanding Federal and provincial debt load is a serious concern (IMO). Cities appear much more fiscally responsible. Calgary budgets are now being chopped and adjusted and it's going to hurt.

2018 just won't be a bowl-of-roses the Conference Board of Canada and banks suggest with overhanging explosive debt loads and struggling economic growth. To me, this suggests an incoming recession will be no walk in-the-park . . . . Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 13:08 10 What it should read, is economy grows inspite of government. Regardless of which government, and which party. They are all an impediment to growth, some just worse than others. One positive to be said, when Notley first got in, we were all afraid she would keep her election promises, so on top of the price of oil dropping, there was also a fear of investing due to the uncertainty over her policies. But like all good politician, she has broken most of her most ludicrous promises to the left voters, and business is slowly regaining confidence that her government is not as bad as it could have been.

And as others have noted, even dead cats bounce, coming from such a low level of actual negative growth, it is easy to grow. Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 13:21 11
Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
even dead cats bounce,
Depends how long they've been dead.... Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 14:18 12
Quote Originally Posted by farming101 View Post
Depends how long they've been dead....
So what are you saying, you don't think new Brunswick is going to bounce anytime soon? Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 28, 2017 | 16:50 13 No grass you insult all parties with your out of touch Socialist agenda.

It doesn't work it never had and never will.

Keep telling your self you got it all figured out.

A Troll is a troll is a troll. Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 18:26 14 Actually Grassy is about right on this time.

Most of the first ones to be let go in the patch were just standing around keeping the real workers company. No loss in production and a huge gain in productivity.

Same goes for some of the companies that got swallowed or came floating up belly up.

Capitalism at it's finest.

The ones left out there are the best and the brightest. Most will tell you things arn't that bad recently.

Oil's imminent demise is highly exaggerated.

Even if Mr Trudeu says we have to get Ft Mac shut down.

Spell chek that for me grassy. Reply With Quote
Nov 28, 2017 | 19:18 15 Finance Minister Joe Ceci released the second quarter fiscal update today. Oil revenues are up from what was projected but personal and corporate income tax still below projections and still over $10 billion in debt. Where are all the benefits of this strong growth? Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2017 | 09:16 16
Quote Originally Posted by Hamloc View Post
Finance Minister Joe Ceci released the second quarter fiscal update today. Oil revenues are up from what was projected but personal and corporate income tax still below projections and still over $10 billion in debt. Where are all the benefits of this strong growth?
Why doesn't Alberta use a Provincial sales tax instead of resource revenue as a better source of stable revenue? This would reduce Alberta's boom and bust cycle that challenges government budgets. Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2017 | 11:36 17 Chuck wants taxes so he can finally buy cheaper subsidised solar power system. Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2017 | 15:24 18 Binthere do you not remember the Fraser institute reports that showed Alberta businesses get just as many business subsidies per capita as Quebec?

Surprise Surprise many Alberta businesses and jobs are dependent on tax payer subsidies!

Pretty good for a province that likes to portray itself as independent, hard working, better than the rest of the country kinda of place. Reply With Quote
blackpowder's Avatar Nov 29, 2017 | 19:40 19 We dont have to portray anything as long as you stay in Saskatchewan. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 29, 2017 | 19:49 20 Boom

Alberta Credit rating drops again!

Oh it still isn’t the NDPs fault. Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2017 | 23:33 21
Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
Boom

Alberta Credit rating drops again!

Oh it still isn’t the NDPs fault.
Exactly. Credit rating agency says first downgrade had a lot to do with drop in oil price but now it’s the govt fault. Were on a negative trend it says with the weakest budget outlook of all provinces.

Grass and chuck are so full of sh*t... Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 29, 2017 | 23:44 22 Thanks I agree grass and chuck have no clue Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2017 | 12:46 23 NDP is helping Alberta and now BC. 😂

Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2017 | 12:51 24
Quote Originally Posted by Oliver88 View Post
NDP is helping Alberta and now BC. 😂

if only we can keep those lying , useless , corrupt, assholes out of this province , and not have another lost 10 years like under colonel blakeney and captain romanow Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2017 | 13:18 25 But what do you do with lieutenent Boyd and his platoon? Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2017 | 13:50 26 Before anyone gets sucked into Oliver88 claim that the NDP is the reason why investment in oil and gas is down in Alberta, consider these FACTS

The baseline for the Alberta comparison was 2014. In July of 2014 the price of West Texas Intermediate crude was US$105.24. The day Notley took office in 2015 the price had already dropped to US$60.40 and continued to decline to its low of US$45.17 in July of 2017. The price of WTI dropped has dropped over 40% between 2014, a year before Notley took office until today. Couple that with the fact the oil sands are some of the most expensive oil to extract and sells at a discount to WTI, and you claim the NDP is the reason for the fall of the INVESTMENT ATTRACTIVNESS of oil in Alberta from #14 to #33 is plain naïve.
Last edited by dmlfarmer; Nov 30, 2017 at 13:52.
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2017 | 13:52 27
Quote Originally Posted by dmlfarmer View Post
Before anyone gets sucked into Oliver88 claim that the NDP is the reason why investment in oil and gas is down in Alberta, consider these FACTS

The baseline for the Alberta comparison was 2014. In July of 2014 the price of West Texas Intermediate crude was US$105.24. The day Notley took office in 2015 the price had already dropped to US$60.40 and continued to decline to its low of US$45.17 in July of 2017. The price of WTI dropped has dropped over 40% between 2014, a year before Notley took office until today. Couple that with the fact the oil sands are some of the most expensive oil to extract and sells at a discount to WTI, and you blame the fall of the INVESTMENT ATTRACTIVNESS of oil in Alberta from #14 to #33 is plain naïve.
history tells the tale . anyone ins sask that thinks ndp helps sask doesn't remember Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2017 | 13:54 28 i know several oil co execs personally . they don't like the business atmosphere under the communists/socialists , its just that simple . they go where they aren't, whenever possible Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2017 | 13:55 29
Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
But what do you do with lieutenent Boyd and his platoon?
its sad bucket , lesser of two evils, and like i said , 99% are in the trough, doesn't matter which party, and he should be in jail
Last edited by caseih; Nov 30, 2017 at 13:58.
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2017 | 14:08 30
Quote Originally Posted by dmlfarmer View Post
Before anyone gets sucked into Oliver88 claim that the NDP is the reason why investment in oil and gas is down in Alberta, consider these FACTS

The baseline for the Alberta comparison was 2014. In July of 2014 the price of West Texas Intermediate crude was US$105.24. The day Notley took office in 2015 the price had already dropped to US$60.40 and continued to decline to its low of US$45.17 in July of 2017. The price of WTI dropped has dropped over 40% between 2014, a year before Notley took office until today. Couple that with the fact the oil sands are some of the most expensive oil to extract and sells at a discount to WTI, and you claim the NDP is the reason for the fall of the INVESTMENT ATTRACTIVNESS of oil in Alberta from #14 to #33 is plain naïve.
Dml are you serious? Last Alberta was 45th in this survey. Taxation policies of the NDP and Canada's inability to get pipelines built are the reason Reply With Quote