• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This peas and lentil thing is upsetting. WTF will farmers grow in 2018. Canola at $8

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave4441 View Post
    I never said anything about farmer bankruptcies in Canada. What i said is that people had opportunity to lock in profitable prices this year. People need to look at profit per acre. I would like someone to dispute that thought. You are trying to put words into my mouth.

And yes it matters if Indian companies are bankrupt or you won't have a buyer for vessels of peas. This is important in long run.

You won't fix this thing with government intervention but feel free to hope for that. We have had people use a marketing approach of "wait until the new year, it will get better" for 3 months already. It isnt getting better.

We are at prices now that holding and waiting is likely the best option. In reds anyway. Greens still have some room to come down (Still $18 per bushel)and you can get $7/bu on peas so it's not terrible either.

I have been on this site for 15+ years and it still amazes me how so many people want open markets until the market falls. Then they want government to look after them. We want rid of the CWB (myself included) but want the MLAs and MPs to fix this situation. Its just the reality of supply right now. We want high prices and vibrant industry but no foreign investors. We are happy when fert. comes down but they are gouging us when price goes up. Besides machinery (which we will not be buying this year), our total input costs in upcoming season will be lowest in years and years. That is a positive. I would like to see fert prices go back to the highs. Grain prices were high then as well.

25 bpa x 8 yup big profit. Lol.

Not only a lot of pain for farmers... A lot of pulse trading firms will go under. Can't compete with markets that are so much closer.

Comment

Sure hope all these pea fractionation plants get built

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
        25 bpa x 8 yup big profit. Lol.

Not only a lot of pain for farmers... A lot of pulse trading firms will go under. Can't compete with markets that are so much closer.
        I agree totally.

I was talking about reds in the fall mainly when i said that. 1500 lb crops at average price of 25 is $375/ac.

$9/bu was available last winter on peas and some was AOG if i remember correctly.

Comment

A bunch of millionaire farmers complaining about grain prices tailing off. 'Rich', don't you think? Why not just get bigger? Buy more iron? That'll cure the blues of these "awful" prices... Hurry, buy that cheap N, order your canola seed, defer those sales, incorporate to save taxes, drain more land, push more bush, produce more. Life is all about the dollar! Wait, doesn't it take dollars to do all those things? Wait, where did that money come from? Grain sales? But I thought they were too low? Did the money come from somewhere else then? I often wonder.

If you can afford any of the above, grain prices are just fine. Be happy with what you have for once. I wish I were in that position, but I am still happy.

First world problems people! This is exactly why I temporarily leave this site once in a while. I feel like I am on a different planet farming.

Sometimes a reality check is needed. If I can live with these grain prices, y'all can too...

Comment

There were certainly articles out previous to this showing supply growing, articles were out there to warn producers to be aware of potential issues ahead .
            [URL="http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/agri-business/will-bumper-crop-derail-indias-pulses-deal-with-canada/article9924048.ece"]http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/agri-business/will-bumper-crop-derail-indias-pulses-deal-with-canada/article9924048.ece[/URL]

[URL="http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/india-s-overwhelming-pulses-demand-part-myth-and-it-s-time-we-moved-past-it-64597"]http://http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/india-s-overwhelming-pulses-demand-part-myth-and-it-s-time-we-moved-past-it-64597[/URL]

Comment

I believe if producers would have tried to sign up the majority of the crop early on for those good prices:

1. The high prices offered would have evaporated before the Crop Production show was over
              2. Graincos and processors would either be reneging on their contracts en masse or going broke

Comment

Sheepwheat is back and in fine form too!

Thanks for the comment. Gotta get grounded somehow

Comment

With the big famines happening why can't our government for one thing buy all our peas and forward it to those areas? We re instead sending money which at times goes for weapons is stolen by middle men etc and when the money does go through they are buying food from other countries anyway. And yes there is the process to do this.
                  Why not?

Comment

As most of you know I think different.....there is a place for everyone to make a profit throughout the supply chain....but remember if you upset the balance everyone gets drawn into the failure....

Big guys don't bother me as long as at the end if the day they don't claim force majeure and get their loans written down to pennies on the dollar that I could have afforded.....if you understand that statement...

Anyway at some point government has to be engaged in this whether it be negotiating a better deal with India or providing relief in what has become a technical force majeure by what India did....

Upset the balance on farms where no one is making money how long before the middleman's income takes a hit and eventually the end user.

There is a large market for our grains in Africa if the goal was to feed the world....sadly it isn't. ...and Trudeau ignores the problem and the solution.....

Big wheel highlights the problem and solution on under two sentences....Trudeau and Lyle Stewart could make it three by added uh uhm and a hyperventilating pause...

More later
                    Dumb****led farmer...tm
                    Last edited by bucket; Nov 22, 2017, 10:01.

Comment

We have seen over supply many times since 1980 and really poor prices like 8 1/2 cents/pound for Lairds and 9 cent Canary. If you think the price is too low, just lock the bins. It may take awhile to eat our way out of this downturn, but I am soaking chickpeas and lentils as we speak. In Maui lentils mixed with pineapple and cilantro and main menu items made with pulses peaked my curiosity. Low prices decrease acres and the cycle rolls on.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                        Sure hope all these pea fractionation plants get built
                        Yep Farming, it is amazing to see the number of big new plants going up. You would think there is money in processing. Dave, give us the scoop. I have my experience and opinions but it is better to hear it from the new guys.

Comment

I am wondering what you expect governments and commodity groups to do about over supplied markets and falling prices?

Most of you guys hate government intervention in the market so what do you suggest they do to resolve the declining profits in a free market system?

Are you expecting them to bail you out? Put in price controls on inputs and machinery? Pay farmers the cost production? What do you want?

The grain companies and input suppliers are just doing what their shareholders expect them to do, which is make lots of profit.

Comment

Sad fact is I just spent 5 mins reading through this. Bright spot hello sheepwheat.

Comment

Everyone talks about signing good prices for grain they don't have ...let's say this drought took hold this past year and you were holding a 9 dollar pea contract with no crop and the price went to 15....

Or you had a 9 dollar contract and the price drops and the grain cos won't take delivery.....

Net result is shit rolls downhill...farmers have zero people in their corner....zero...

Bombardier....AGT. ...manufacturers. ...all have government backing.....

We have nothing....

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                                A bunch of millionaire farmers complaining about grain prices tailing off. 'Rich', don't you think? Why not just get bigger? Buy more iron? That'll cure the blues of these "awful" prices... Hurry, buy that cheap N, order your canola seed, defer those sales, incorporate to save taxes, drain more land, push more bush, produce more. Life is all about the dollar! Wait, doesn't it take dollars to do all those things? Wait, where did that money come from? Grain sales? But I thought they were too low? Did the money come from somewhere else then? I often wonder.

If you can afford any of the above, grain prices are just fine. Be happy with what you have for once. I wish I were in that position, but I am still happy.

First world problems people! This is exactly why I temporarily leave this site once in a while. I feel like I am on a different planet farming.

Sometimes a reality check is needed. If I can live with these grain prices, y'all can too...
                                This may come as a surprise to many people but some people actually make a lot of money from farming. No it didn’t come from daddy or grandpa or somewhere else. I see it all the time neighbours who literally gross less the the other neighbour nets. And there is always a reason why they don’t make as much.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...