• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some one smarter than me explain the BTO!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some one smarter than me explain the BTO!

AS a little piss ant farmer i often wonder and question why does some one care to just farm a bunch of land and probably at the end of the day just spin their wheels and really build no real wealth.

Seems years ago all the Big Chartered banks wanted farmers to Incorporate. They all said farmers needed to do this to protect their farms from lawsuits etc. But do most farmers know that you gave up all your rights if the banks decide to call your loans. Oh you say you put your land in private hands. Well most banks have you sign a personal guarantee so they have your land. The FLSB and Bankruptcy rules don't work for Corporations. The bank says your done your done they tell you give back your leased equipment and then take the land and good bye.

My take on all this started years ago when some accounting firm or bank decided the last shit show in Ag really hurt them and they needed a new way to protect their interests. It was easy to get farmers to follow as if you want opp loans and equipment loans you have to do this to get that.

Now they got the or both worked together the Accounting firms and Banks where one would get you Mr farmer into the Other real fast and they would set it up this new super Corporation. Most followed the rules and did just that. It actually was a great template for new modern farm. Some had land some rented and bought land and in a rising up trend all works awesome.

If you had land and lets say 10 quarters clear when most incorporated it was worth some 1,600,000.00 So the banks would lend that farmer $1,280,000.00 in either Opp or special equipment lines or just even land loans that one could access any time. Quarter comes up and the guy wants $185,000 you said yes went to your lawyer and did papers up gave the lawyer a check for the total amount called your bank it was put in your checking account and you paid cash for the new quarter. Really good program quick done deal. That account paid off over 10 years. But Mr farmer they had all your assets remember under the Company and personal guarantees etc. But money was free to flow. Now you had 11 that the bank the next year valued at $2,350,000.00. They increase Every thing up to $1,628,000.00.

This continues to today where the same farm purchased each year a little more land and switched from owning equipment to leasing. One simple payment and new each year.

Today say the guy owns 20 quarters with the last he purchased at $428,000.00 his farm has a value in 15 years as 4 to 5 of the first are paid for. $8,560,000.00 of which they will cover up to $5,000,000.00. But now you have to rent more land as the payments on new equipment are going higher. So hints start that you should get bigger yet to cover your costs and continue. Whats another section well give you the money to keep going. So Joe Farmer rents on top of the 40 already he is farming another 20 more.

Then it goes to 2017 and land hits the magic $550,000.00. This number is now turns you into a 11,000,000.00 Dollar farm meet the big boys from Calgary maybe go golfing or taken out for skiing. You've made it baby. $7,150,000. they now will lend you.

Go buy more dirt or build a new home go big or don't bother at all. Maybe pull out cash and buy a home in USA or Home in Hawaii. Your a Big time corporation. Oh rent some more land because guess what we did the numbers and you have to get a little bigger yet to keep every one happy.

Now in a up trend with strong prices this scenario (Boys its a scenario not me got that) things keep rolling hell if you purchase for a higher amount each time what can go wrong. Your getting big yields (ok no bigger than the neighbours but your doing just fine. Have a work crew of hired employees and you made it baby.

Then something changes. Either other countries start to subsidize or halt sales or make up ergot or weed requirements. No round up or tariffs of 50% on your product. Sales dry up youll keep for a year you say. Ah your banker might go along or he will say sell. Then add a massive hail event or rain event or drought and guess what. The guys in Calgary won't take your calls. Who is calling. Ah were busy.

You look to others like a borrower of last resort. Oh goodie just grow wall to wall canola and were happy.

Farming is tough and any one can make in a rising market with no problems but the world has lots of grain and the world is a huge place and the world has cheaper producers than us which are not land locked.

Remember its fun to go up but if they decide your done under the new corporation you created your done.

Bankruptcy rules for corps dont give you one tractor combine truck seeder auger swather and your 40 acres.

Again this is a example if I missed a spot correct me if im wrong but from what i have observed this is the template for MEGA BTO 1.01 for Dummies.

Have a great Saturday Im going to the Shack. Got to cut wood for the winter so others can have a great outdoor experience and a little warmth from a day of fun.

**** me SF3. ...Just because they'll give it to you doesn't mean you have to take it!

You will never build a farm quicker than with earned incorporated net income!

People who decided to farm on the "edge" shouldn't look to anyone but themselves to blame if they go over the cliff.

Edit: ps SF3, What size do you classify yourself. I'm a "sandbox farmer in the "Slum of the Ghetto"". Even compared to you I'm play farming!
    Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 18, 2017, 09:30.

Comment

Its not me i choose years ago to go another path. Drop Opps and enjoy life with out all the headache of dealing with Accountants, Lawyers and Bankers. Less stressful when they work for me not the other way around. You need a good accountant Lawyer and Banker yes. But they have jobs to do.

Yes I'm stirring the pot but some one explain if im wrong if this wasn't the template for todays AG.

When every thing is going awesome its up up up. When things change its know what is at risk.

Again if this isn't a example of the template tell me what is.

Have a great Saturday. Need a new chain for the chainsaw.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0940.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	766084

Drop by and pick up what I use.

Comment

The old saying “money really doesn’t buy happiness” fits the bill 100%. SF3 are you ever happy about anything? I’m not trying to be prick but, you are so negative on everything. You talk about all your winter homes and excursions, buy this buy that. Most on here aren’t in your situation. If you want to grow your farm step up to the plate with the BTO and spend. Personally I couldn’t give a rats ass how big these guys are getting. I want to enjoy some of my life, I’m seeing things way different than 10 yrs ago.

Comment

Big zee you should know me by now this isn't about me but what i have observed and it started back about 15 or so years ago at the beginning of the Boom.

what the hell would i want more work.

But some don't get that their are huge risks with the above template in times of low grain and low production and shit that hasn't even happened yet.

Also stirring the pot on this Saturday.

Farm ill stop buy and pick that up could make some money if the wife printed a farm scene on it and sold it.

HA HA
            Enjoy the winter day.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
              Big zee you should know me by now this isn't about me but what i have observed and it started back about 15 or so years ago at the beginning of the Boom.

what the hell would i want more work.

But some don't get that their are huge risks with the above template in times of low grain and low production and shit that hasn't even happened yet.

Also stirring the pot on this Saturday.

Farm ill stop buy and pick that up could make some money if the wife printed a farm scene on it and sold it.

HA HA
              Enjoy the winter day.
              ....and that is why it's for sale on Kijiji right now! Hurry before it's gone, but it's not cheap!

Comment

Ouch that’s like buying a dead AR.

Any one have any As wide narrow single or Rd or 820 830 Deere’s.

Comment

You could make more money if you taught the wife to use it.

Comment

Sask3. Quote why the he'll would I want more work. When did you have this revelation why after 10,000 acres why not 5000,or 1000. There are a lot of people making a good living off a lot less acres than you. mho is all the pain you rant about is self inflicted, or just an ego builder. Some of us can be happy with our lot in life.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
                      You could make more money if you taught the wife to use it.
                      SF3 would get it in the divorce settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                        The old saying “money really doesn’t buy happiness” fits the bill 100%. SF3 are you ever happy about anything? I’m not trying to be prick but, you are so negative on everything. You talk about all your winter homes and excursions, buy this buy that. Most on here aren’t in your situation. If you want to grow your farm step up to the plate with the BTO and spend. Personally I couldn’t give a rats ass how big these guys are getting. I want to enjoy some of my life, I’m seeing things way different than 10 yrs ago.

Bigzee, he doesn't come across that way to me at all. He is pragmatic and I like that. He tells it like it is. SF3 has a healthy fun life along with lots of hard work. I came from a family like that. Even though my dad was doom and gloom all the time, he bought his wife diamonds and fur coats, new cars, the best in machinery, holidays all the time and retirement at 56, Mesa 1/2 the year. He died a happy man and can't say any of us suffered. Some guys just got a plan Stan.

Incorporation is a trap in my books too. Corps are ok but keep your land out of corps - that's how I feel, even put the land in the wife's name. I have been around long enough to see "banks" call loans for no other reason than cold feet. Anyone remember Robinsons Machinery in Regina? Seven businesses were auctioned at the Sherwood Coop blg. on Albert that fine day back about 1980. Owners were standing there telling everyone that they had no clue til the semi drove up to their business and cleaned them out. Totally believable because they almost cleaned out our company but I had a back-up plan. No younguns, listen to all sides and use your noodles, there are good lessons. If you only listen to bankers and number pencillers you only get a small part of the story - just my opinion. Be sharper than them.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          Bigzee, he doesn't come across that way to me at all. He is pragmatic and I like that. He tells it like it is. SF3 has a healthy fun life along with lots of hard work. I came from a family like that. Even though my dad was doom and gloom all the time, he bought his wife diamonds and fur coats, new cars, the best in machinery, holidays all the time and retirement at 56, Mesa 1/2 the year. He died a happy man and can't say any of us suffered. Some guys just got a plan Stan.

Incorporation is a trap in my books too. Corps are ok but keep your land out of corps - that's how I feel, even put the land in the wife's name. I have been around long enough to see "banks" call loans for no other reason than cold feet. Anyone remember Robinsons Machinery in Regina? Seven businesses were auctioned at the Sherwood Coop blg. on Albert that fine day back about 1980. Owners were standing there telling everyone that they had no clue til the semi drove up to their business and cleaned them out. Totally believable because they almost cleaned out our company but I had a back-up plan. No younguns, listen to all sides and use your noodles, there are good lessons. If you only listen to bankers and number pencillers you only get a small part of the story - just my opinion. Be sharper than them.

........Also don't begrudge another man his success but don't mourn his failures either.

.......Not everyone starts at the same position on the starting line... some are on it, some ahead of it, and some behind it.

.......If you think SF3 holidays too much... follow him around during the busy season. If I "want" more I will have to risk more and work harder!

.......generational wealth and newly created wealth. blah blah blah.....

Comment

Guys it’s not a ego builder he’ll if your happy at 1000 acres or 50000 just pointing out if your following the above plan a down turn isn’t fun.

They always win.

I have fun most days and again it’s not about me but a lesson on how things under the grand plan

Comment

Also am I on with my assessment or off?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...