• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elon Musk reveals new Tesla Semi Truck

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like most of what comes out of Elon Musk's mouth this latest "announcement" is total crap. He's the P.T. Barnum of our day. The difference is that most people knew Barnum was a huckster but today the green crowd needs to believe Musk's BS.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
      Like most of what comes out of Elon Musk's mouth this latest "announcement" is total crap. He's the P.T. Barnum of our day. The difference is that most people knew Barnum was a huckster but today the green crowd needs to believe Musk's BS.
      X2
      Tesla burned 5 billion in cash last yr.
      He is a great stock promoter. Anyone on have the stones to short this thing or know what the borrowing cost is right now?

Iceman Out

Comment

Riding the wave, why wouldn't you if some one else pays for it? Enhanced rail prolly the answer. I think CN is parking their grain cars on the rail next to 48 highway for the winter, about 300 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
          X2
          Tesla burned 5 billion in cash last yr.
          He is a great stock promoter. Anyone on have the stones to short this thing or know what the borrowing cost is right now?

Iceman Out
          LOL they've been trying to short Tesla forever (I do not own Tesla)
          Rated outperform with a 411 target
          If that happens borrow rate might be downright harmful for the next while

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
            LOL they've been trying to short Tesla forever (I do not own Tesla)
            Rated outperform with a 411 target
            If that happens borrow rate might be downright harmful for the next while
            That all depends what the borrowing cost is. I will find out on Monday and report back.

You really think it gets to 411?

Iceman

Comment

411 is not even the highest
              [URL="https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/04/nomura-instinet-is-biggest-tesla-bull-on-street-with-500-forecast.html"]https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/04/nomura-instinet-is-biggest-tesla-bull-on-street-with-500-forecast.html[/URL]

I honestly have no idea. Traders are having so much fun and Institutions have turned lending stocks into a cash machine. If the short sellers get scared or tired of the whole thing it could go to 411 no problem if I have the correct understanding of how the whole thing works

Comment

That's-$4/share!

Tesla is requiring cash deposits on the new cars and semis so that it can meet production commitments already made on the older series 3.

If any other entity tried this they would be charged with operating a ponzi scheme.

Governments have so much skin in this game now they won't easily let tesla fail.

Short at your own risk. ...

Watch the movie The Big Short to see what happens when you ate absolutely right at the wrong time.

Comment

Like as most things in life, being early is the same as being wrong.

The pioneers get the arrows.

Iceman Out

Comment

I will admit that I think electric trucks are a great idea, especially for the jobs I use our body truck for. Lately, hauling manure, and dirt, moving grain from bin to bin. Very short trips, often just across the feild, never really gets warmed up, but too hot to shut down while loading, lots of unnecessary idle time. Starting out under extreme loads in soft ground, shifting gears in soft ground. Starting the engine in cold weather, smoking out the shop when it does start. Parked at home every night where it could recharge. Very few miles in a day, but lots of hours, lots of wear on clutch and drivetrain. The Tare weight of the vehicle is not a big issue, since I'm often not even on the road, so I can exceed the legal weight by a large margin. I'm fine with using electricity from coal fired plants equipped to reduce particulate emissions( but not carbon capture), so the current arrangement does not bother my conscience, I have no delusions about running a zero emissions vehicle which is powered by a make believe clean energy source somewhere else.

I can't see electric being viable for long haul over the road trucks with current technology but electric would be ideal for this application. Just a few kinks to work out:
                    1) battery life in the cold
                    2) Affordable electricity, the price of electricity is going the wrong way at a time when it needs to go down if anyone expects electric vehicles to take off. Thanks to well intentioned, but typically inept/corrupt government environmental /alternative energy policies, electricity is likely to only get much more expensive.
                    3) Initial purchase cost of the vehicle, I don't expect the tax payers to subsidize my cost, and without that the payback ( from any sources I have read) is prohibitively long, if at all.
                    4) Replacement cost due to limited battery cycle life.

So, all we need is an efficient, and viable( not using rare earth in volumes exceeding world reserves) energy storage system(preferably light too); A cheap abundant and reliable energy source, such as Nuclear, hydro or coal and natural gas( if non-subsidized solar and wind make a contribution, so much the better); and a power grid to handle it. And I have no doubt that private enterprise will solve all of these sooner or later, in spite of government efforts, the prize is big enough to be worth it.

I for one wouldn't miss breathing diesel exhaust. nor would I miss starting a diesel at 40 below, or dealing with messy oil changes, adjusting and changing clutches, replacing brakes, broken driveshafts, etc etc. Imagine also that I could put anyone in the seat of an electric truck and they really can't hurt it, compared to a current standard transmission truck.

If Chuck and DML are reading this, I would just like to point out that just because some of us don't support the Catastrophic AGW agenda doesn't make us against any potential improvements in technology which may be a result of that movement. Sometimes two wrongs really do make a right.

Comment

Ok, so I know this is taboo for the green revolution, but why not offer the option of a small integrated genset in some of these vehicles. It would meet the demand of those needing a longer range while dramatically reducing carbon emissions. There probably could be a calculation about shrinking some of the number of batteries.

So electric for up to 200 miles and hybrid up to 500 miles range. Still a reduction of carbon dioxide emissions. If that is the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                        Ok, so I know this is taboo for the green revolution, but why not offer the option of a small integrated genset in some of these vehicles. It would meet the demand of those needing a longer range while dramatically reducing carbon emissions. There probably could be a calculation about shrinking some of the number of batteries.

So electric for up to 200 miles and hybrid up to 500 miles range. Still a reduction of carbon dioxide emissions. If that is the goal.
                        What heresy is this? Practicality be damned!

Do you not know that oil is anathema?

Comment

Just wanted to check in on this thread have been very busy with a major project. When I saw this thread I thought what better time or place to make the announcement.
                          Soon I will be going to the alberta govt and federal govt as well as offering my first round of investor offerings for this bold new directon for our agricultural power needs.
                          A direction and technology that is both green and renewable and can be harnessed .powered by the energy of the sun and earth this technology is scaleable and you can easily add more units as your power needs change . So get your checkbooks ready to invest because once rolled out this will be the technology that we will be using in the future.
                          Here is a first look only available here. now for those that can't afford our top of the line concept we will also offer the mid level.
                          Or even our entry level. .
                          Stay tuned for our announcement to get in on this bold new urbanite and ndp approved farming future.
                          Last edited by mcfarms; Nov 19, 2017, 08:35.

Comment

Mcfarms....the irony that is there could still be some of that happening in subsistence farming areas of the world.

Comment

True, attended as well as gave a talk a few years back at a deal in florida to a group of under 40s from all over the world. Used the term stone age to space age when describing world ag.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarms View Post
                                True, attended as well as gave a talk a few years back at a deal in florida to a group of under 40s from all over the world. Used the term stone age to space age when describing world ag.
                                LOL....good description. How much space aged farming technology do we need to sustain the world population. Could the world afford to eat if the current advanced energy(proven) requirements were replaced by something less dependable and more expensive(renewable).

I'm not saying don't research the alternatives. ....but we all know we're not at a point they will replace what we currently have yet....or even the near future.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...