• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm size stats, from Agriview.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm size stats, from Agriview.

In the latest Agriview / November 2017 pg #14

In 2016, the average size of a Saskatchewan farm was 1,784 acres -- with an average of 1,354 cultivated acres.

In May, 2016, there was a total of 34,523 farms in Saskatchewan, compared to 36,952 in 2011. A 6 % decrease. The percent decrease was small than the period 2006 - 2011, which had a decrease of 16.6 %.

Here's a link to information collected in the 2016 Census of Agriculture;

[URL="http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/95-640-x/2016001/article/14811-eng.htm"]http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/95-640-x/2016001/article/14811-eng.htm[/URL]

I thought the avg farm size was 2500 cult acres,,,years ago.

You have to remember, for every 10 and 20 thousand acre super farm, there are several that are less than a 1/4 section. Some make their living on a quarter or less. There is more to ag than what the grain farmers always seem to assume...

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
      You have to remember, for every 10 and 20 thousand acre super farm, there are several that are less than a 1/4 section. Some make their living on a quarter or less. There is more to ag than what the grain farmers always seem to assume...
      Most 10,000 acre farms also have 3 or 4 farmers involved so that brings the average of that farm down to 2500 or 3333 per farmer.

Comment

Good point, Oliver.

Comment

"On agricultural operations that used only rented land, the average operator age was 46.0 years, 9 years younger than the national average."

I thought this was noteworthy, there are operations with only rented land. Does that mean no infrastructure, just grain bags on rented land, park the combines on rented land all winter?

I have to wonder how many other professions/businesses even have a category for age 75 and up?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.