• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some perspective

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some perspective

I have no idea if the information in this graphic is completely accurate or not but the general thrust of it no doubt is. Something to keep in mind when talking about family farms and BTOs in Canada, their multi-million $ machinery line-ups and whether they will or will not survive a down turn. This "industrial ag" is still a small part of world agriculture and by no means the only game in town.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 9.20.21 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	777795

Part about percentage of woman farmers is believable for those who have been to third world countries.

Comment

So big farmers are not as important as they think they are?

The most remarkable statistic is that for every calorie of energy used only 1.5 calories are produced in large scale agriculture versus 1-15 calories in small holdings.

Large scale industrial food production is totally dependent on fossil energy but produces only 30 % of the worlds food.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
        So big farmers are not as important as they think they are?

The most remarkable statistic is that for every calorie of energy used only 1.5 calories are produced in large scale agriculture versus 1-15 calories in small holdings.

Large scale industrial food production is totally dependent on fossil energy but produces only 30 % of the worlds food.
        So chuck2 are you a small holding subsistance farmer or are you large scale industrial producer? Could you make a living in Canada as a small holding producer?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
          So chuck2 are you a small holding subsistance farmer or are you large scale industrial producer? Could you make a living in Canada as a small holding producer?
          Irrelevant to the discussion. Realize instead that when you whine about Governments not giving your rich first world industrial ag businesses enough "support" in your attempts to "feed the world" the Government gets far better bang for it's buck on cheap, simple solutions in the developing world like increasing the supply of hand tools and making access to better seeds easier. It puts in context that the modern agriculture system in the first world is only responsible for a small part of the world's food supply and historically has only been so for a relatively short period. In the fullness of time humanity may look back on our current systems and deem them a failure.

Comment

Then we should all be supporting whatever breeding technique available that gives these farmers a better result. But its not happening, why?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
              Then we should all be supporting whatever breeding technique available that gives these farmers a better result. But its not happening, why?
              I guess it depends how you define "better result" - if that's producing more food in a sustainable manner from the resources available I'm all for it. If you are you referring to GMOs where the "better result" could only be achieved by moving the peasant farmer into industrial agriculture and into the position of only getting 1.5 calories back for every calorie expended versus the 15 they produce now I'm not for it. Truth is, as is often discussed on here, the "better result" in industrial agriculture largely accrues to the Monsantos', JohnDeeres' and Cargills' of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                Irrelevant to the discussion. Realize instead that when you whine about Governments not giving your rich first world industrial ag businesses enough "support" in your attempts to "feed the world" the Government gets far better bang for it's buck on cheap, simple solutions in the developing world like increasing the supply of hand tools and making access to better seeds easier. It puts in context that the modern agriculture system in the first world is only responsible for a small part of the world's food supply and historically has only been so for a relatively short period. In the fullness of time humanity may look back on our current systems and deem them a failure.
                Irrelevant to the discussion? I believe the implication is that modern industrialized agriculture is a failure in your opinion and that the majority of the food in the world is produced by small acreage farmers that till the land by hand. So my question was relevant! In your case Grassfarmer do you have just 3 or 4 cows and till the land by hand? Could you make a living doing that in Canada? As for whining for Government support. I despise big government and all the additional taxes and regulations that come with it. The only complaint I have is we need another railroad track to the coast but as far as as government support for my business, no fricking thanks. Interesting this point of view comes from a former resident of Scotland where a good percentage of farmers income comes from EU subsidies. Having said that growing crops in Scotland's climate must be a challenge.

Comment

Many of the world's people who grow food provide little more than enough for their families.

World trade in food is very interesting.
                  For example, Indonesia is the world's single largest importer of wheat. But Indonesia doesn't grow any wheat. Would the 265 million people who live there be better off if they quit eating wheat? Who knows? Highly unlikely that the 147 million or so who live in urban areas all have access to gardens and grow their own food. So, the country buys wheat.
                  Australia
                  Canada
                  Argentina
                  USA
                  Russia
                  Romania
                  France
                  Brazil
                  UK
                  Moldova
                  Uruguay
                  All "industrial agriculture" countries. Interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                    Irrelevant to the discussion? I believe the implication is that modern industrialized agriculture is a failure in your opinion and that the majority of the food in the world is produced by small acreage farmers that till the land by hand.

Yes, irrelevant to the discussion. Canada has such a small population and is such an insignificant player in the total world food supply that it doesn't matter if I have 2 cows or 200 cows. Point being small, simple changes will revolutionize food production in the big population countries where the masses need to be fed. Sitting here complaining because we aren't getting rewarded for "feeding the world" is irrelevant because we never have (and never will) feed the world.

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                    Many of the world's people who grow food provide little more than enough for their families.....
                    In terms of food security and the survival of the species what else is needed?

Comment

Grassy how come that same logic doesn't apply to the leftard environment bullshit.

Comment

[QUOTE=grassfarmer;362226]Yes, irrelevant to the discussion. Canada has such a small population and is such an insignificant player in the total world food supply that it doesn't matter if I have 2 cows or 200 cows. Point being small, simple changes will revolutionize food production in the big population countries where the masses need to be fed. Sitting here complaining because we aren't getting rewarded for "feeding the world" is irrelevant because we never have (and never will) feed the world.

Grassfarmer you have truly made my day. I did some quick research. Now you are quite correct we produce 3.32% of total world grain production which in the big picture isn't very much. We also produce 4.04% of the world's daily oil production, a little higher but still quite small. But what is truly insignificant is our share of the world's C02 emissions at 1.6%. So again Grassfarmer thanks for pointing out how truly insignificant Canada is in the world. 😃

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                          In terms of food security and the survival of the species what else is needed?
                          I truly don't know. Is there a food security problem or is it more a waste, poor government, greed problem?
                          It is said one third of produce world wide is thrown out.

As long as there are cities (and they are growing faster than ever), there will be a need for farmers to grow food for others.

Comment

Hamloc, 1.6% sounds small and insignificant - but the tonnage we emit with @32 million population is very close to what Indonesia produces with a population of 260 million! Before you chime in with "but it's a hot country..." compare Canada instead to somewhere more similar like the Ukraine - we emit twice the tonnage yet they have @45 million population. Same with Poland - Canada emits twice their tonnage and they have @38 million people. Canada is not an insignificant emitter of GHGs.

Comment

Firstly HOW can we know the tonnage calculations are accurate? I don't believe they are and nobody can prove them correct.
                              Same with a WORLD temperature, ya sure believe them, too much chance for errors and made up shit.

Secondly this is a VERY COLD place, step outside and what do you think we are doing inside?
                              Burning a hell of a lot of fuel for heat and transportation to stay ALIVE!
                              All is comparing apples and oranges, total made up stuff.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...