• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women in Ag, and Why as Men we Need to do More

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women in Ag, and Why as Men we Need to do More

My wife and I together farm in central Saskatchewan. When asked what she does, my wife, correctly, answers “I farm”; and this is where things get interesting. I am not a feminist. In fact I'm quite against the modern, extremist neo-feminism that is becoming more and more pervasive on social and mainstream media and in universities these days. I'm a straight, white, male as many farmers in Western Canada are. However, I felt the need to write about women in agriculture, and how we are doing a dis-service to them - no, this is not “mansplaining” or a diatribe on “how it should be” it is my observations on how women are treated in Ag, and it hits close to home.

My wife is one of a large, diverse, group of women who are very capable of operating a farm on their own; she runs every piece of equipment we have, can set and calibrate, knows where what grain is stored, what field is getting planted to what. Has an equal say in every decision we make, if it requires joint consideration, and is fully capable of making others on her own. We debate agronomic issues with each other till consensus; she understands the business of agriculture, the science, and the mechanics, and arguably is a smoother, more efficient equipment operator than I am. We share field work, office work, and home work. Depending on the day I may make it home before her and will have supper ready, other days she may. Whoever grabs the laundry pile first puts it in the wash. It's called working together - farming together. In addition, we both know of women who farm completely on their own; either without partners, or partners who aren't interested in agriculture. Whatever their circumstance these women all share a common kinship, a love of the land and animals; they are farmers.

There is a definite reaction to a woman saying she “farms”. It immediately leads most people to incorrectly think that all they do is cook meals and maybe “do the books”. This reaction is seen in many places, including the services we work with. Why do Crop Insurance adjusters always want to talk to me instead of my wife? Once, after explaining I was away working in the oil patch, and that my wife was home to meet with him, the adjuster point blank told me he would rather wait till I was home. This has repeated with other personnel from pest control officers to equipment salesmen. Chemical, seed, fertilizer companies all gear their advertising material to men, one only has to see who they send to farm show booths to see this. Another prime example that comes to mind: A few years ago, we were invited to an info evening/supper at a large Co-Op here in Saskatchewan – not a small town “backwoods” organization - one of the largest urban/rural Co-Ops in the province. They had invited spouses to come along, great! When we got there, they tried dividing the men and women – men were going to talk agronomy, seed, and yields, while the women were supposed to go talk about “Tupperware” and other “women's issues”. In any other industry, in the 21st century, in Canada, that would have immediately led to a public outcry – it was sexism to the highest degree. Yet in ag, it was and still is quietly accepted.

Kevin Hursh recently wrote an article entitled Women in Agriculture can be a Dicey Topic. He embodied everything that is wrong with the attitude of women in agriculture, arguing that “Women aren't interested in crop commissions”, that “Many tell me they don't see very many barriers to women who want to get involved”, or the best one in my opinion “Women need to step up rather than just attend women in ag events”. Regardless that these observations, and indeed the entire article is sexist, and written from the point of view of someone who is extremely out of touch on the issue, it gives us a glimpse into the psyche of men in agriculture in western Canada, and indeed North America.

For the longest time, my wife felt uncomfortable even saying that she farms. The immediate reaction is “oh your husband farms and you help,” which can't be further from the truth. If women don't feel comfortable even saying they farm, how will they step up and lead farm groups? If I hear these comments, I try and turn it into a teaching moment sometimes, quiet often actually, it turns into an eye opening moment for the guy making the comments, other times I've been told I'm “p**y whipped” to which I respond “No, I value my wife as my complete equal.” That is to say, equality does not mean we are the same. We are different, we have different skill sets and qualities that complement each other, but in our relationship, our farm, and indead our life, we consider each other equals.

Women need the ability to get together, and talk about ag issues from their perspective and amongst themselves. There's also comment I keep hearing “Well if women have women-in-ag groups, why don't we have men-in-ag groups?” Well, we already do – even online communities like Agriville, The Combine Forum, and New Ag Talk are overwhelmingly (to the order of 99% or greater), men. Since joining the Women in Ag and Women in Ag (Uncensored) Facebook groups, my wife has become far more confident in saying “I farm”. Women need groups like these, both on the internet and in the real world, to be able to build confidence in themselves and each other because, as men, we are doing anything but encouraging them or helping their confidence levels – something Mr. Hursh and many other “grey haired men” like him need to understand.

The interesting thing to note, is we can't only blame “older grey haired men”... the stereotype is ingrained in our society at all levels. For instance, we are expecting our first child shortly, and a comment I often get from even other women is “Oh I bet you're hoping it's a boy so he can take over the farm.” To this, my response is “No, I don't care if we're having a boy or a girl. If they show interest in the farm, and want to farm, they will get an opportunity to take it over. Their sex does not dictate what they will do in life.” This is something I feel very strongly about – your sex should never dictate what you want to or will do with your life, and I hope we can convey this to our future kids. If they want to farm, boy or girl, I hope they can take that path. If they want to be a nurse, a school teacher, or choose any other career path, we will encourage and help them along their way.

I hope none of this came across in any way other than respectful of our women in agriculture. I am proud to call my wife a farmer. If we have a daughter and if she wishes to farm, I will be proud of her decisions and encourage her the best I can. I hope, for men, that this opinion piece will open your minds and get you to start considering how to encourage women to be more open about their positions on farms, and their careers as farmers. As our ag population ages, we need to replace it with a younger generation of farmers – wether they are men or women. So, to the Women of Ag – I salute you

Man o man Klause, have you got a wife! Mine better get a whippin! Just kidding, mine can make beetniks, that's all that matters😂

Comment

Most of the seed..chem..reps are young women.
      Wife an I are partners. She knows as much about fert.chem..rates..even farm equipment as I do.
      Just have to be interested.

Comment

I could never hire at any price anyone to replace my wife, Grain cart and combine operator does about 90 percent of the haying, hauls 95 percent of the water to the sprayer and probably does about 80 percent of the fence repairs. fabulous cook and home maker, Bin checker and parts runner, loving mother, Cattle boss and 2 am check person.
        And puts up with me . Quite obviously a saint.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarms View Post
          I could never hire at any price anyone to replace my wife, Grain cart and combine operator does about 90 percent of the haying, hauls 95 percent of the water to the sprayer and probably does about 80 percent of the fence repairs. fabulous cook and home maker, Bin checker and parts runner, loving mother, Cattle boss and 2 am check person.
          And puts up with me . Quite obviously a saint.
          WTF do you do Mcfarms? Lol

Comment

Good post klause. I think one thing that holds women back in agriculture is lack of role models. Slowly things are changing though with more recognition of outstanding women in agriculture. Hopefully sooner rather than later this will lead to change as it's much needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
              Most of the seed..chem..reps are young women.
              Wife an I are partners. She knows as much about fert.chem..rates..even farm equipment as I do.
              Just have to be interested.
              m

Agree wonder if female reps get/give same reception when dealing with female farmers as when dealing with male farmers?

Comment

Majority of AG grads in the western producer are female.
                Probably better sales people..as men reps. are usually full of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                  m

Agree wonder if female reps get/give same reception when dealing with female farmers as when dealing with male farmers?
                  Depends on the rep.

There's men that treat women equally, and there's women that do the same.

Then there's female reps that use their... well, sex appeal for lack of a better term, to sell to men and ignore women.

There's male reps that completely ignore women.

Generalizing, women seem to do better at respecting female farmers than men do.

Comment

Who reads Hursh or any other mainline ag media?
                    Anyway, although tiring, there is an advantage to being constantly underestimated. Keep up the good work. You both will have lucky kids.

Comment

Thank you Klause. If this forum had a like option, I would be using it to the breaking point!

Nothing can be more frustrating than having to try and validate women Ag events or defend ones own knowledge. Many men seem to treat women like a vagina precludes us from being able to know about more than babies and housekeeping. While I think most of this is unintentional, it can still be discouraging. I will be the first to admit, I don’t like doing farm things in front of people I don’t know well. It makes me very uncomfortable. I feel like I am being judged hugely, and there’s a giant possibility that I’m not, it’s just a feeling I get. Insecurity. I can back up my shitty old bumper hitch stock trailer almost good as gold on the first try at home (usually LOL). I won’t even attempt it in public. The old farts at the auction get this smug look on their face and have little teenager chuckles under their breath to one another when a woman can’t back up perfectly the first try... I’m worried one day I’ll be rude to them and wish that one day I’ll be there to offer to back up for them when they’re crooked as hell. The first would earn me the title femnazi, the second would just give me great pleasure.

I’m a member of the Facebook groups you mentioned that your wife is in. While they’re so big and busy as to be overwhelming, they are still great resources. I have found a couple of women in my local area on there which seems amazing. A few small town Alberta ladies who found one another in the flood of international women on the groups. I hope that one day we’ll even get together for coffee as, socializing online is a great first step, but being able to get off farm for a bit is wonderful as well. Sometimes it’s too easy to feel isolated. Even men feel this way I kniw. One neighbour farmer this year was quite happy his combine came with Bluetooth. Now he can chat away no problem all through harvest LOL

Comment

The key as someone mentioned is you got to be interested in whatever you do. Either sex can do anything they want if they put their mind to it.

Maybe not but Klause I suspect your family dynamics and farm life are gonna change a bunch in the next little bit. My kids rode the combine in diapers with their mom but it's not the best situation, and productivity goes down hard.

My wife is a farmer also, however because of our personalities she is generally more the helper than the take charge girl. (She's a good worker and I'm pig headed) But that's ok works for us.

Had a neighbor years ago that her husband died in a farm accident. She kept a farm of 6 quarters and a herd of cows going by herself for probably another 25yrs. But she also had a farm accident that took her life and she was in her 70's.

Comment

Great post Klause. You have obviously put a lot of thought into this and have set a great example for others to follow.

My wife is an equal shareholder, works hard and is a valuable part of the farm.

She didn't come from a farm but grew up in both small towns and cities. She has less interest in farming than I, but the place would fall apart a without her and it wouldn't be much fun either.

We have more of a traditional arrangement and sufficient workers to get most of the regular farm stuff done. There are lots of local examples of women who are greater participants in farm work because of necessity.

It is quite a challenge to raise a family, run a farm and have a good work/life balance. Grain farming at least offers some time to recharge the batteries during the winter months. I am not sure how livestock farmers do it year round.

Comment

We live in a funny world. I agree with your post Klause but it goes beyond that. In our situation my wife is an amazing woman, we have 7 great children whom she home schools(school aged ones anyways). We are partners. I couldn't farm like I do if she didn't look after everything home related. Yet somehow her contribution is relegated to a farmers wife. House needs drywall patched taken care of, sink needs unclogged taken care of, I need picked up to move a sprayer taken care of. Never mind that I woke kids up from naps and she has to get 7 kids in car seats and drive 20 miles down gravel roads.

We are farm partners, yes perhaps we have divided the work load in a more traditional manor but it makes me crazy that her role is perceived as not as important.

Comment

Bouquets to all you younguns who juggle farms, kids, weather events, off-farm jobs, volunteer work, fixing machinery break-downs, livestock and everything else. These are all important jobs but the most important aspect of families on farms is what you teach the little guys. The opportunity for parents to teach life-lessons on work ethic, reaction to adversity, mechanical aptitude, cooperation, team spirit, enterpreneurial decision making and independence will be valuable tools in their lives forever. We see it in our three sons and our grandchildren as even the youngest ones are looking under the atv's to solve locomotion problems. Never throw something away without taking it apart with the kids, surprising what you find. I am sure you all know this but just in case you ever doubt their aptitude, please be assured they are learning. You should see our 16 year-old grand daughter trouble shoot her car problems.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.