• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Bowls

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Bowls

Looking to put a new water bowl in this weekend before it gets too late.
    Any recommendations or tips on type of bowl or installing the service.
    What is the bets diameter pipe to place over the vertical portion of the water line?
    I will be connecting to the current water line. Will need to put in electrical service, pad etc.
    Any tips would be quite helpful. Thanks.

All my water lines have a self regulating heat tape from the ground surface down about 8ft they are the type that are installed inside the water pipe a little pricey but virtually trouble free, coop usually stocks them the wire sells by the foot then there is a grommet fitting tee kit to seal the wire inside the pipe.

Comment

Have a Ritchie Thrifty King in use and another one to install...quite like them....150 watt heater and with the right number of head, would likely not even need that.
      https://ritchiefount.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/thriftyking1216.pdf

Comment

We install the heat tape on a sleeve pipe now - if you are running 1" supply pipe, run a 1.25" pipe on the outside with the heat tape on it then if there is ever a problem you can just pull the sleeve off to replace the heat tape. We usually put these pipes inside a 4" or 5" riser pipe. Have quit using the self regulating heat tapes after too many issues with thermostats. Now use the newer constant heat ones as they use so little power. Better safe than sorry in this climate!

Comment

Have not used heat tape...but use a 6 to 8 inch riser....on the occasional issue, have used a cheap hair dryer to blow heat down.....once had to reactivate a waterer that wasn't used an dhad been shut down...this would be about March....used a cattle show blower and put the hose down at the bottom....worked well.

Comment

Use 9” culverts for risers and 7” casing. Hang either a heat lamp or 100 watt bulb in bowl such that it is over the line. Have little trouble with freezing. Most trouble comes from on top when a nasty wind freezes the tray. Keep a tarp around to cover the bowl and in a couple hours everything is thawed. Biggest mistake we along with everyone else made was using 4” risers. Absolutely hateful. Can’t pump it out if it fills with water.

Anyway. We’ve had good luck with the concrete drinkers. Have an old Peterson and a newer cowcrete. Cowcrete better valve setup and heater. Metal drinkers had Richies which lasted forever but eventually rusted. Good bowl but now plastic and pricey. Maybe plastic is alright. Dabbled with some canarms and kinda tore on them. Have a couple smaller ones and although a little chinsy they never freeze or give much trouble. I like the lift top for servicing. Larger ones not as solid as the little guys. Bought a used Edwards for the goats and much like a canarm but definitely heavier. Far as I’m concerned any of these drinkers will suffice but what makes or breaks them are the valve setups and tops. If it looks light at the store guaranteed bossy will turn it into scrap metal. If it’s only for a few head the lighter ones will be fine.

Far as a pad. It should be durable enough you can move it if need be. The ground can and will settle so you need to be able to pick it up to level. Another thing a good clay mound allows water to drain away and you don’t get a soup hole.
            Last edited by WiltonRanch; Nov 11, 2017, 15:53. Reason: More info

Comment

Just checked my Thrifty King this afternoon....due to discussion.....have had pretty much -20 for a week or 2 during night...about -10 for day.....and no heater in the waterer and have no animals in that corral....no ice at all...

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                Most trouble comes from on top when a nasty wind freezes the tray. Keep a tarp around to cover the bowl and in a couple hours everything is thawed....
                Something I've done with all the old Canarm/UFA/Ritchie waterers we've taken over is build a box around them. Nothing fancy just 2x6 lumber with some extra insulation between it and the waterer then clad the whole thing with tin. Then build a lid from 2x6, insulated on the underside. If it's below about -10C I put the lids on late afternoon and take them off in the morning. Saves a heck of a lot of power, prevents freeze ups and the cattle have plenty time to drink during the day.

Comment

Weaned calves today, put calves in a pen with the Ritchie Thrifty King waterer....nothing in pen for a month, most nights for the last 2-3 weeks have been -20 or close to, nothing above -5 for awhile, no heater in waterer, and still good.....I am impressed. Right number of cattle in pen, likely would not need heater all winter.....may have to break loose the floating disc

Comment

hi)))

Comment

The old pipes burst and spewed water everywhere. I had to save the lines from collapsing and replace them with new ones. However, I forgot to update my tub schedule between rebuilding my sink and finding suitable replacement pipes. So, every morning as I stepped into my tub, I noticed that an inch or two below the surface of the water are bubbles. Anyway, I contacted a https://www.plumbersingapore.org/ cheap plumber in Singapore that came and resolved all the problems regarding the pipes. I am very delighted with his work, and honestly, it is tough to find a suitable expert.
                      Last edited by Heavilyass; Jul 26, 2021, 02:44.

Comment

Admin???

Comment

Need a report function on this forum.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.