• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain Elevator value?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain Elevator value?

Old elevator but not that old that the leg is wooden. 120,000 bu capacity of which includes two large steel hoppered bins. 70 ft mechanical/beam scale. I believe it was built as a "National" then taken over by Cargill. Cleaner. Not the best appearance....needs paint and some tlc.

Maintenance nightmare? Longterm liability?

Edit: House: 60,000 bu. Each bin 30,000 bu.

No mention of year it was built.

On a CN lease...no propery/land included.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 2, 2017, 22:24.

Is there ability to load cars?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Is there ability to load cars?
      Not that I'm aware of but would have to look into it. The current owner never loaded any and there may have been a clause in the purchase agreement that legally prevented them from doing so.

....into perpetuity?

We don't see alot of trains down this line but It is only about 40 kms from the terminal not far from Regina.

I'm sure they don't want to spot a handful of cars there either...you know, not "efficient".
      Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 2, 2017, 22:45.

Comment

Run!
        Put up a line of steel hoppers with air and a grain pump and never look back
        House likely over 60 years old if it was built by National

Comment

I BOUGHT AN ELEVATOR BACK IN 2003 1967 model with a 1985 annex al bin are hopperd or semi hoppered never regretted it I put new siding on it 7 years ago it was a good buy some maintance all the the time but relative cheap compared to 30 40k augers

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
            Run!
            Put up a line of steel hoppers with air and a grain pump and never look back
            House likely over 60 years old if it was built by National
            The old infrastructure has me concerned. SWP built some in the early eighties that would be a no-brainer.

Smells mousey too.

Could not owning the land it sits on and having to lease it from CN be a problem?
            Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 3, 2017, 06:17.

Comment

Hopefully Tubs will comment if he is on an active rail line.
              I doubt leasing the land is an issue as long as the place is monitored and maintained. Is the siding used any more? Producer car loading sites are getting scarce.
              Owning an elevator always has an appeal. Adding a dryer would probably make it hard to insure.
              Cleaning opportunities? Custom storage?

Comment

The siding is sometimes used for car(of various kinds) storage.

The siding is not a Producer car loading site.

There's a cleaner in the elevator but don't know what it is. (Property tax increase because you would be using it to earn money, commercial versus private?)

It's a maintained line(wouldn't say "well") but doesn't see a lot of traffic. Very little in fact. Terminal east of here can be serviced from either the East or West past us. Terminal near Regina obviously easily serviced from Regina. Heard it said this line is an alternative route if CN's mainline has a problem. It isn't the real heavy rail.

Comment

What would it take to make it a producer loading site? Cgc should be able to tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                    What would it take to make it a producer loading site? Cgc should be able to tell you.
                    I bet that would be an impossible task.

The best would to be able to load right out of the facility into cars for personal use. From what I remember hearing, sales agreements/contracts had clauses in them that you couldn't load cars.... into perpetuity?

Comment

Neighbors loading cars out of their plant.
                      Producer cars have priority over terminals even..
                      They never have issue getting cars.

Comment

How does a company that doesn't want to use a site maintain control forever.....and why wasn't this a priority to change along with the so called open market?

Railways and graincos rule.....forever. ?

Where is the regulator....dismissed.

Or a politician.....bought off

Comment

Partners, are they breaking any rules loading cars? Also is the line a real active line?

Bucket, that's the "dog in the manger attitude", I don't want it but you can't have it either!

Comment

Question. In our area they were all torn down. Even one that was 10 years old. People tryed to buy it and they couldnt. Just wasnt alowed. All kinds of reasons. How many of these out there? One north of here 50 miles. Farmer doesnt use any more anyway.

Comment

BP, There is a privately owned one in every town(4) in this RM(only 12 townships). But they aren't all over that's for sure.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.