Grain Elevator value?

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Grain Elevator value?

farmaholic's Avatar Nov 2, 2017 | 22:04 1 Old elevator but not that old that the leg is wooden. 120,000 bu capacity of which includes two large steel hoppered bins. 70 ft mechanical/beam scale. I believe it was built as a "National" then taken over by Cargill. Cleaner. Not the best appearance....needs paint and some tlc.

Maintenance nightmare? Longterm liability?

Edit: House: 60,000 bu. Each bin 30,000 bu.

No mention of year it was built.

On a CN lease...no propery/land included.
Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 2, 2017 at 22:24.
Nov 2, 2017 | 22:32 2 Is there ability to load cars? Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 2, 2017 | 22:42 3
Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
Is there ability to load cars?
Not that I'm aware of but would have to look into it. The current owner never loaded any and there may have been a clause in the purchase agreement that legally prevented them from doing so.

....into perpetuity?

We don't see alot of trains down this line but It is only about 40 kms from the terminal not far from Regina.

I'm sure they don't want to spot a handful of cars there either...you know, not "efficient".
Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 2, 2017 at 22:45.
Nov 2, 2017 | 23:43 4 Run!
Put up a line of steel hoppers with air and a grain pump and never look back
House likely over 60 years old if it was built by National Reply With Quote
Nov 3, 2017 | 00:31 5 I BOUGHT AN ELEVATOR BACK IN 2003 1967 model with a 1985 annex al bin are hopperd or semi hoppered never regretted it I put new siding on it 7 years ago it was a good buy some maintance all the the time but relative cheap compared to 30 40k augers Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 06:13 6
Quote Originally Posted by farming101 View Post
Run!
Put up a line of steel hoppers with air and a grain pump and never look back
House likely over 60 years old if it was built by National
The old infrastructure has me concerned. SWP built some in the early eighties that would be a no-brainer.

Smells mousey too.

Could not owning the land it sits on and having to lease it from CN be a problem?
Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 3, 2017 at 06:17.
Nov 3, 2017 | 07:33 7 Hopefully Tubs will comment if he is on an active rail line.
I doubt leasing the land is an issue as long as the place is monitored and maintained. Is the siding used any more? Producer car loading sites are getting scarce.
Owning an elevator always has an appeal. Adding a dryer would probably make it hard to insure.
Cleaning opportunities? Custom storage? Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 07:45 8 The siding is sometimes used for car(of various kinds) storage.

The siding is not a Producer car loading site.

There's a cleaner in the elevator but don't know what it is. (Property tax increase because you would be using it to earn money, commercial versus private?)

It's a maintained line(wouldn't say "well") but doesn't see a lot of traffic. Very little in fact. Terminal east of here can be serviced from either the East or West past us. Terminal near Regina obviously easily serviced from Regina. Heard it said this line is an alternative route if CN's mainline has a problem. It isn't the real heavy rail. Reply With Quote
Nov 3, 2017 | 08:04 9 What would it take to make it a producer loading site? Cgc should be able to tell you. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 08:09 10
Quote Originally Posted by wmoebis View Post
What would it take to make it a producer loading site? Cgc should be able to tell you.
I bet that would be an impossible task.

The best would to be able to load right out of the facility into cars for personal use. From what I remember hearing, sales agreements/contracts had clauses in them that you couldn't load cars.... into perpetuity? Reply With Quote
Partners's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 08:14 11 Neighbors loading cars out of their plant.
Producer cars have priority over terminals even..
They never have issue getting cars. Reply With Quote
Nov 3, 2017 | 08:16 12 How does a company that doesn't want to use a site maintain control forever.....and why wasn't this a priority to change along with the so called open market?

Railways and graincos rule.....forever. ?

Where is the regulator....dismissed.

Or a politician.....bought off Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 08:31 13 Partners, are they breaking any rules loading cars? Also is the line a real active line?

Bucket, that's the "dog in the manger attitude", I don't want it but you can't have it either! Reply With Quote
blackpowder's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 08:32 14 Question. In our area they were all torn down. Even one that was 10 years old. People tryed to buy it and they couldnt. Just wasnt alowed. All kinds of reasons. How many of these out there? One north of here 50 miles. Farmer doesnt use any more anyway. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 08:44 15 BP, There is a privately owned one in every town(4) in this RM(only 12 townships). But they aren't all over that's for sure. Reply With Quote
Nov 3, 2017 | 08:47 16 The only reason they sold this elevator was that the track was taken out. It took quite a while to convince them to leave the elevator standing. I had made a deal with the village before hand on taxes. and it sits on village owned property. I also have a grain dryer on the site Reply With Quote
Nov 3, 2017 | 08:54 17 BTO building a new farm yard from scratch, along Hwy #33. Somewhere between Lajord and Tyvan(I don't remember exactly) on east side of highway. Been going on for the last 8 months or so. First a huge shed, then another, more recently a row of hopper bins, and between the hopper bins and the railroad are a row of huge flatbottoms. Now looks like more sheds are being built to the east side of the site.

But last time I was by, Stewart Southern Railroad(short line running from Regina to Stoughton along Hwy #33) is building a spur track along those big flatbottoms. Will be an incredible setup, once in operation. #cut out the middleman

Can anybody from the area post more about this? Reply With Quote
Nov 3, 2017 | 08:54 18 Saskatchewan way, Bucket. Railways allowed to do whatever they want. Close sidings, branch lines, whatever they want. Same as ducks unlimited, in Saskatchewan they get to put easements for ever. In Alberta, they can register it for 10 years. Don't know whose behalf our agministers have been working on, but on these 2 files, don't think it was farmers. Reply With Quote
Nov 3, 2017 | 16:18 19 farma, sumdumguy, SF3, other near Regina,, do you know anything about that start-up along Hwy #33 ? Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 17:06 20 Google Kambeitz Farms. This is what we have to compete with to buy land. Tough on the young guys and gals in the area that want to own the land they farm.... Most don't have a sniff at these current prices. Sad to see.

Everyone has the opportunity.... some just exercise theirs!

I have a saying.... I won't begrudge your success but I sure won't mourn your failure either. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 17:07 21
Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
Buy er and start a grain co then you can screw yourself !

Hire some one effed in the head to weigh, grade, and do the books !

$ buy low sell high !
giggled...

You're fuckin nuts! Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 19:59 22 Maybe worthless to the GrainCos but not some Producers.

Honestly, this one wouldn't be my first choice.

We have a bunch of hoppers with aeration and some old flat bottoms.
How may old elevators do you own "way out there" wiseguy?

What ever happened to the Cargill terminal at Raymore?

Edit....this post is an attempt to reply to wiseguy's post....but some of his posts are written in disappearing text and magically disappear if they aren't captured using the reply button!
Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 3, 2017 at 20:03.
Nov 3, 2017 | 20:14 23 I figured that one wouldn't stay around Reply With Quote