Last Friday Crop Report of the Year! Winter is coming!

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Last Friday Crop Report of the Year! Winter is coming!

SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 2, 2017 | 07:45 1 Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  94.3 KB

I would say the above caption says it all its here. So cool last night ground is going to start freezing and winter is here. Just like that the Calendar changes from October to Nov and just like always winter is here.

Ah its not climate change Justin Gore or Leo its normal you morons.

So a Carbon Tax is coming and were going to pay and pay and pay.

Funny in a country where the Economy is starting to fail and the feds have corrupt ministers running departments they want to drive the last wedge into the economy and create a useless tax to finally kill it.

Great plan from a Great Liberal gov. Just can't wait.

Name:  23032344_10159430245135517_7142080106098245561_n.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  47.6 KB

We can discuss politics till were blue in the face but a $200.00 dollar fine to a finance minister is a Joke.

Final Crop Report..

Winter is here and yesterday we began the final stages of Million dollar Tetris. Some times you forget how you get it in the sheds but it goes, piece by piece.

Our snow coverage was min yesterday so it still allowed one last day to stone pick the landscaped area and the ground used for the new road plus a levelling of a old yard from one end to the other.

Most have said thats it for fall work for 2017 but still a few doing bush work for fence lines or actually cleaning up areas.

Name:  IMG_2650.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  96.6 KB

Only thing i wanted to do before it was called is dig a extra addition to the Burrow pit. Got it started on Saturday but other things came up and don't think this Saturday will finish. Oh well if it snows a bit the pit will fill with water and supply will be good for summer 2018.

Soil tests are done and some surprises but still Nitrogen lower down. Not as bad of use as one would expect.

Grain is being hauled and land deals are on going. Looked at a new RM map for one of the ones we have land in I would say 1/3 is now Foreign owned. Yea New Canadians Wink Wink. Oh well its a sign of the times.

Thats it till spring have a great winter.

Name:  IMG_0687.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  94.1 KB Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2017 | 08:20 2 Thank you SF3, have a great winter. You can start writing vacation reports.😜 Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2017 | 08:26 3 still ditching here , sure is working good . probably today will end it . gonna be a long winter when it starts this early ! Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2017 | 09:05 4 Thanks for all the weekly reports, it's always interesting to see how other regions are doing. πŸ‘πŸ» Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2017 | 11:12 5 Cleaning up scrub piles here. Push them out then pick the wood then the rocks then all the barbered wire that got pushed in to the piles. Its not to bad of job when its cold. Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2017 | 11:29 6 Also cleaning up scrub piles with rocks and barb wire.
Usually able to find pot hole or lowspot to bury them with dozer.
Satisfying work. Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2017 | 11:31 7 Yeah SF3, thanks for always starting the crop report thread, like others mentioned is good to here what's really happening to other areas, not the fake news from S Friesen.
Ya, I want to hear about your winter travels, and anyone else that gets away to warm areas in the winter, whether it's a farming/recreation trip or just recreation/vacationing trip.
Goodluck in Cabo. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 2, 2017 | 12:16 8 Yea Cabo is always a good time for Christmas and new year. Nothing like a palm tree with a star on it.

First off to Calgary and Reddeer next week for the farm show and visit with family.

Then Vegas bet everything on black.

Ha ha

But Filling the sheds with equipment today and putting cult harrows and roller plus other stuff in field by yard.

Maybe some more bush pushing before it all ends on Tuesday.

Fun doing the crop report even if others challenge a tenth inch in a windy drought year is rain.

farmaholic's Avatar Nov 2, 2017 | 12:49 9
Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
Cleaning up scrub piles here. Push them out then pick the wood then the rocks then all the barbered wire that got pushed in to the piles. Its not to bad of job when its cold.
Your description equals....track hoe. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 2, 2017 | 12:59 10 Early last January we had a mulcher come in and grind up our carragana hedge rows along our nearly half mile long private driveway. A little too much snow and I ended up with some carragana "stubble" in places. The hedges were smashed into pretty small pieces and with the hot dry summer the material dried very well...we burned it after the crop came off and got an amazing burn. Got another mulcher in to grind the stumps and a bit below the ground surface...it will be seeded next spring...NO BRUSH PILES to deal with but not all the roots are gone...carragana doesn't have a root system like a poplar...just alot of skinny snake roots that will break up easily. Expensive but well worth it. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 2, 2017 | 15:36 11 Agree but the cat and fresh pushed bush smell is like cocaine to some of us! Ha ha

Tetris is complete and I think we need another shed.

No a new heated shop 80 x 100 20 ft high.

Dream 2020 Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2017 | 18:06 12
Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
Your description equals....track hoe.
For sure a track hoe would fit in here nice but lots of money to buy so just using the old fashioned method. Push the piles out with a dozer then throw all the wood in a pile to burn and pick the rocks with a front end loader. I don't really need another engine to change oil in. Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2017 | 18:10 13
Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
Agree but the cat and fresh pushed bush smell is like cocaine to some of us! Ha ha

Tetris is complete and I think we need another shed.

No a new heated shop 80 x 100 20 ft high.

Dream 2020
Nothing smells better than a cat that has been working in spruce. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 2, 2017 | 18:12 14
For sure a track hoe would fit in here nice but lots of money to buy so just using the old fashioned method. Push the piles out with a dozer then throw all the wood in a pile to burn and pick the rocks with a front end loader. I don't really need another engine to change oil in.
That process sounds all too familiar. ..been there done that! Your a hard working man seldomseen...take care. Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2017 | 18:20 15
Nothing smells better than a cat that has been working in spruce.
I could think of a few things , lol. but you're right , it does smell good , even better in the springtime! Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 21:52 16 Finished up bush piles that I tramped before the rains started. Totally rotten and some regrowth soft in centre but ground firming up nice. Reply With Quote
Klause's Avatar Nov 3, 2017 | 22:01 17
For sure a track hoe would fit in here nice but lots of money to buy so just using the old fashioned method. Push the piles out with a dozer then throw all the wood in a pile to burn and pick the rocks with a front end loader. I don't really need another engine to change oil in.
We bought a Pocclain 160 for $16,000 a few years ago. Real handy machine and big enough to do damage. Pretty cheap I'd you know where to find them. Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2017 | 00:16 18 Thanks SF3 for all the updates!

We finished up harvest Sunday night and Tuesday the rain and snow started and is still slowly adding up.

Now we are trenching in 3 miles of 2 inch water line which is fun at -12. At least the snow is keeping the frost away till you disturb the ground. I'll second what the others have said about a hoe and their usefulness since we put 2-300 hours a year on our Deere 690 E. My dad never had tonka toys as a kid he just gets the real thing now😎

Helping my brother with backfilling where we tied into the yard water line.

Still have about 3,000 of these to pick yet..... sure glad the bale truck has full locking diffs and new tires. Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2017 | 06:06 19 Thanks Woodland. The Western Star looks to be in great shape. F series? Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2017 | 06:58 20 Always liked the look of those westerns! Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2017 | 07:59 21 Woodland did your green count decrease much in your last canola?

Good to hear you finished. πŸ‘πŸ» Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 4, 2017 | 09:06 22 Thanks Woodland i really enjoy your pictures and help.

Glad your all done harvest.

I see TX66 and is the Cat a D7 Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 4, 2017 | 09:53 23 Name:  fullsizeoutput_d52.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  11.6 KB

Regina Had Snow Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2017 | 11:37 24
Quote Originally Posted by Oliver88 View Post
Woodland did your green count decrease much in your last canola?

Good to hear you finished. πŸ‘πŸ»
Thanks Oliver.

It feels nice that next year has the possibility of being "normal" whatever that is anymore. This spring when we seeded I set my expectations at 0 that way I wouldn't be disappointed now. 😜

We haven't checked the greens or moisture on the last few fields but both were probably as high as the first stuff 15%+

Might be a little less after we opened the concave to avoid threshing the silage like plants and plugging the cylinder πŸ˜‰

My brother should finish the barley drying today which has been taking longer than planned and then we can try out the vertec and get our samples then. Hopefully 🀞 Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2017 | 11:42 25
Quote Originally Posted by the big wheel View Post
Always liked the look of those westerns!
I like it too except you can hide a Toyota in the blind spot in front of you. 425 Cat that likes to roll some black smoke and the smoothest riding truck on the place with a daycab to boot makes it the favourite here. Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2017 | 11:50 26
Quote Originally Posted by farming101 View Post
Thanks Woodland. The Western Star looks to be in great shape. F series?
Not sure of the model but it's an '88 that's in as good of shape as our '07 IHC. I've got a twin and so does lots of our equipment. It's brother is a blue '89 WS winch truck in rougher shape since it was previously a logging truck.

" F series" to me means funky transmission since it's a 15 speed with the backwards shift pattern. Gets me every time after running a 13 or 18 speedπŸ˜‰ Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2017 | 12:26 27 4964F replaced the 4964-2 about 1985-6. Blind spot in front was bigger on the -2 Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2017 | 12:36 28 SF3 you nailed the combines but it's a little D6C that my dad has owned for over 30 years and it's cleared thousands of acres for us and the neighbors.

You guys on here help fill a void since I have lost a lot of the neighbors to the coal mine buying them out and moving away.

Kinda realized this out taking some bales to our yearlings grazing the former home quarter of my best friend. He's now 50 miles away instead of 3. This was two years ago and that's when I joined here and another forum. The last few neighbors left here are about the same size as us but would gladly throw you under the bus for a chunk of ground so I don't socialize much with them.

Doesn't look like much now with the bins and corrals gone but it supported a family and there's many more like it here. It'll probably be dozed over next year. Some call it progress but one neighbor calls it a cancer slowly killing our community. I side with the neighbor. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 4, 2017 | 15:30 29 Woodland. There isn't too much worth clearing in our neighborhood. There's more tree lined sloughs north of us but south is really barren (we're on the fringe of both).... a bit of cropland can be gained by clearing the trees around the sloughs but you still end up with a water hole. Drainage....consolidation on your own land maybe but dumping it on someone else isn't a solution. Sometimes there just isn't an appropriate/adequate outlet for it to go anywhere without potentially causing someone else grief. Is marginal land worth clearing? Some sandy, rocky, topographicly challenged stuff around too. Provincial and Federal community pastures were developed for a reason unless improved farming practices can make some marginal ground productive. Our farm is kinda maxed out...maybe a bit of drainage if the C&D gets some work done....but apparently it's not like pulling the drain on the bathtub and away she goes...."supposedly" have to be able to hold it back if down stream can't handle it.....I.can't wait to see how this is going to be "managed/enforced"! (If I live long enough to see any developments at all!) A subject no one wants to talk about..... Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2017 | 16:05 30 Farmaholic we live in the hills of poplar trees. I consider them weeds as they keep creeping in the fields and then they fall on the fences.

Back in my grandpa's time he had a sawmill with his brother and my grandma split them up so our side stayed farming and they sawed logs. Still get along good with them and they got 200 employees up north and seem to be doing good. Too bad they didn't stay together but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

One fellow I know moved here from Lethbridge since as a kid he watered trees every summer. Now nothing delights him more that tromping trees with his cat.

You're not that far away from here but it's a different world for sure.

Here's dad knocking down some rotten poplars in my yard this summer. Reply With Quote