Useless Canadian Grain companies

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Useless Canadian Grain companies

Nov 1, 2017 | 08:16 31 Where would prices be if we all had a crop like SF3???? The last thing on most minds of farmers is stepping out and buying a full line of machinery. Traders and grain companies are out to get us like the government.
It’s a sad situation when local bids are close to a buck difference from a terminal 165 miles away.
Just shows how much they are scalping from us.
They’ve always been crooks, but seems like this yr is they really want to take us to the cleaners. Reply With Quote
ajl
Nov 1, 2017 | 08:20 32 Sample from the same small bucket of CWRS for protien. CGC: 14.0, Local Viterra: 14.1, Pioneer 13.7. So they are testing relatively close in this area. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 08:21 33
Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
Where would prices be if we all had a crop like SF3???? The last thing on most minds of farmers is stepping out and buying a full line of machinery. Traders and grain companies are out to get us like the government.
It’s a sad situation when local bids are close to a buck difference from a terminal 165 miles away.
Just shows how much they are scalping from us.
They’ve always been crooks, but seems like this yr is they really want to take us to the cleaners.
Trust me Bigzee...I hate making excuses for them but some of them may not have any orders/sales. They have to discourage sellers wanting to deliver somehow. Or do they want it? Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 08:37 34
Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
Trust me Bigzee...I hate making excuses for them but some of them may not have any orders/sales. They have to discourage sellers wanting to deliver somehow. Or do they want it?
That may be true, but when they put the words “special limited tonnage”, there’s something going on. They are out trying to see if we are desperate enough to bite for the extra .25 Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 08:53 35 Changing protein premiums and discounts is nothing new. Have you looked what it is on the upside?

Lowest i've heard is $0.05/tenth or $0.50 per full point. Highest is $0.07/tenth so $0.70 per full point.

Don't hear anyone talking about that.

Reason the higher discounts than premiums is the risk of loading a boat with lower than sale spec protein. It's not a discount, they have to take all the grain off the boat and reblend it. That's not exactly cheap to do.

If you do have lower end protein if you can work a deal were you avoid the discounts for as much as possible would be the best bet right now.

Losing a $0.05 premium is a lot better than taking a $0.07 discount.

High pro wheat is your biggest bargaining chip right now.

Discounts to a 12-5 protein is not $2/bu. Worst i've heard is $0.80/bu.

As for those that think protein machines are inaccurate feel free to file a grain grade dispute with the CGC. It's one of the things that protects farmers everyone here seems to forget. Reply With Quote
Partners's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 09:03 36
Quote Originally Posted by ajl View Post
Sample from the same small bucket of CWRS for protien. CGC: 14.0, Local Viterra: 14.1, Pioneer 13.7. So they are testing relatively close in this area.
Pioneer always lower protien than viterra here..
Same exact sample from rp machine to viterra.
This yr it matters. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 09:28 37 Kinger you work for a Grain company?

Yea it’s 80 cents your right basically a dollar a bushel my last years 16.5 they paid sweet f$& k all Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 09:51 38
Sample from the same small bucket of CWRS for protien. CGC: 14.0, Local Viterra: 14.1, Pioneer 13.7. So they are testing relatively close in this area.
What is spread between 14 and 13.7? Reply With Quote
iceman's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 10:04 39
Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
Funny thing you bring up the how to pay for it.

Talked to a few bankers recently and some lease companies.

it seems most BTO have zero equity in their iron and like housing if the shit hits the fan it all crashes like the titanic.

Just saying\
I believe that has been the case for awhile or at least since the MUD deals have really got going.
Guys figure on the short term $ per acre cost and it's been working so far. Not exactly my cup of tea but each to their own.

Bull markets don't last forever. Look no further than the mining industry in the last 15 years.

Yes farma, farmland doesn't seem that expensive if you add up what's in your shed after you are done playing shed Tetris

Iceman Out Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 10:52 40 Nope, I just make sure to get all the information on any offers on my grain that i get and like to talk to grain industry guys too see what they know. I've found it helps put a bit more understanding into how they do things. Lets me play the game better.

I also read a lot.

Protein demand varies year to year. Same with grade, fusarium levels, ergot, etc. Our grain goes to some pretty picky end users. Think everyone knows one person who likes to post on facebook about how bad farmers are for using roundup and pushing bush.

Next year we could see a premium for low protein #3 Spring wheat with high vomi. Who knows this year they are discounting low protein but paying up really good for high protein.

Hindsight being 20/20 should have kept all the 14 pro wheat from last year and made some deals with it but hey you can't win every time. Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 11:39 41
Kinger you work for a Grain company?

Yea it’s 80 cents your right basically a dollar a bushel my last years 16.5 they paid sweet f$& k all
Holy shitballs Kinger! How dare you post a reply that shows you bothered to educate yourself! This site is for pissers and moaners!

Really SF3? Just because someone posts an educated reply that doesn't involve whining and complaining about getting fucked, you say they work for a grain company.
I said before and I'll say it again: YOU are the reason you have a hard time wherever you deal, not because anyone is out to fuck you over. They probably just want you to fuck off! Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 11:50 42
Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Holy shitballs Kinger! How dare you post a reply that shows you bothered to educate yourself! This site is for pissers and moaners!

Really SF3? Just because someone posts an educated reply that doesn't involve whining and complaining about getting fucked, you say they work for a grain company.
I said before and I'll say it again: YOU are the reason you have a hard time wherever you deal, not because anyone is out to fuck you over. They probably just want you to fuck off!
LOL....I know what that tongue lashing feels like.

In reality farmers have the gold....some might even realize it but in today's world "stuff" trumps a staple of life....food.

Admins thread about the amount of the Earth's surface that is arable is sobering. Farmers have a lot of dependents.

Cell phones trump food. Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 11:59 43
pioneer is always .3-.4 lower here , ALWAYS Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 12:02 44
Quote Originally Posted by Kinger View Post
Changing protein premiums and discounts is nothing new. Have you looked what it is on the upside?

Lowest i've heard is $0.05/tenth or $0.50 per full point. Highest is $0.07/tenth so $0.70 per full point.

Don't hear anyone talking about that.

Reason the higher discounts than premiums is the risk of loading a boat with lower than sale spec protein. It's not a discount, they have to take all the grain off the boat and reblend it. That's not exactly cheap to do.

If you do have lower end protein if you can work a deal were you avoid the discounts for as much as possible would be the best bet right now.

Losing a $0.05 premium is a lot better than taking a $0.07 discount.

High pro wheat is your biggest bargaining chip right now.

Discounts to a 12-5 protein is not $2/bu. Worst i've heard is $0.80/bu.

As for those that think protein machines are inaccurate feel free to file a grain grade dispute with the CGC. It's one of the things that protects farmers everyone here seems to forget.
read my post , I said they were offering $.80 cents a point . I was talking about it Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 12:24 45 Dlyn you have no clue about me do you. I probably get better deals than most because they don’t f&$k around either come with a good one or don’t bother.

Yea I like to bitch but as farmers sitting on our hands works so good. We created billionaire Grain companies and most are family owned. Name a billionaire farmer out their.

Just saying
Last edited by SASKFARMER3; Nov 1, 2017 at 12:35.
Blaithin's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 12:31 46 People want premiums for protein... until the year protein is in the crapper. Then all of a sudden it’s a way the companies are hosing farmers.

Which is why I laugh when people bring up wanting premiums for oil in canola. When that happens it’ll be déjà vu all over again!

Everyone, even the grain cos, were assuming the low moisture year would translate to a higher protein year. It didn’t for a lot of people. But they start working on sales before the harvest comes off so if they have sales for #2CWRS 13.5 px and most wheat is under 13 px, it’s not going to matter a flying fuck if it’s a 1Red or not. The buyers want the protein more than the grade.

Next time you deliver to the terminal ask them how many different protein segregation’s they’ve got going on per grade.

Ergot, high moisture, even fusarium... those are degrading factors that can be manipulated easier than protein. The terminals aren’t willing to risk bringing in thousands of tonnes of low protein hoping they can find enough high protein to blend it up to the specs they’ve sold at. They’re businesses, not charities, some here seem to expect them to be the latter more than the former. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 12:38 47 And again name a billionaire farmer. We now know why most Grain companies are because farmers and gov gave them the tools to screw people.

Yea paying on Canola oil contract and their goes that crop in the shitter
Last edited by SASKFARMER3; Nov 1, 2017 at 12:40.
Nov 1, 2017 | 12:39 48 well I guess if they sold high px , they have a problem . it will cost them same as when we can't honor a contract with them Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 13:38 49 I was expecting our Px levels to be in the stratosphere from this past growing season...not so. I think too much of my N got stranded in the midrow in too dry dirt. Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 13:51 50
And again name a billionaire farmer. We now know why most Grain companies are because farmers and gov gave them the tools to screw people.

Yea paying on Canola oil contract and their goes that crop in the shitter
Heard Bill Boyd is up there. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 14:37 51 yea that was funny but one farmer who actually made it farming not friends in low places. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 15:00 52 Blaithin, maybe Producer's are paying for the "Sellers" inability(penalty) to fulfill THEIR contract specs with their buyers? Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 15:28 53
Quote Originally Posted by Kinger View Post
Heard Bill Boyd is up there.
Funny thing is if you look at his public disclosure form, it only shows that he owns 11 quarters.
http://docs.legassembly.sk.ca/legdocs/Disclosure%20Statements/2014%20Disclosure%20Statements/Boyd%20-%20Public%20Disclosure%20statement%20-%202014.pdf Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 15:46 54
Dlyn you have no clue about me do you. I probably get better deals than most because they don’t f&$k around either come with a good one or don’t bother.

Yea I like to bitch but as farmers sitting on our hands works so good. We created billionaire Grain companies and most are family owned. Name a billionaire farmer out their.

Just saying
Actually, John, I do have a clue about you; I might even have two

Clearly you do well at what you do cause I don't see anyone else on here bitching at the same rate as you and then going off to Hawaii every year. And I'm not saying that you haven't earned
Those trips, and I'm not saying that you don't deserve to take them. I'm just saying that whining about getting fucked and then bragging about your travel makes you look like a stupid hypocrite.

How about instead of bitching, you actually do something about it? Surely a guy like you who gets better deals than most cause the companies know to offer you the best or not call you at all must have some influence and be able to change things for the better.

Bitching on an anonymous forum is no different than sitting on your hands buddy! Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 15:59 55 Ouch that hurt!

you honestly can say farmers don’t get the shaft more times than they win.
Their is always something we have To deal with and adapt or perish

It’s marketing snd no one is doing farmers a favor Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 16:25 56
Ouch that hurt!

you honestly can say farmers don’t get the shaft more times than they win.
Their is always something we have To deal with and adapt or perish

It’s marketing snd no one is doing farmers a favor
Absolute right! Adapt or perish! That is the farming life.

I feel like I have a fairly good relationship with my buyers. And they have done me favours in the past. And if someone is short on a higher priced contract, I occasionally get a call to fill a contract like that.

I treat my buyers how I want to be treated: with respect! I'm not saying there isn't some
Dickhead buyers out there, but there's a lot of good ones. Same as farmers: lots of good ones; but also some dickheads Reply With Quote
Nov 1, 2017 | 17:02 57
Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Absolute right! Adapt or perish! That is the farming life.

I feel like I have a fairly good relationship with my buyers. And they have done me favours in the past. And if someone is short on a higher priced contract, I occasionally get a call to fill a contract like that.

I treat my buyers how I want to be treated: with respect! I'm not saying there isn't some
Dickhead buyers out there, but there's a lot of good ones. Same as farmers: lots of good ones; but also some dickheads

There are good guys and rotten guys in both industries. We were special-crop buyers for a long time and we made a lot of good friends but there were some bad apples, some were actually "life-long friends" who weren't "good friends". Not much different than any other business, but really protein testers should give pretty similar results.

Little Humour: Do you know the difference between a friend and a good friend? a friend helps you move but a good froend helps you move the body. 🙄 Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 17:14 58 Like any thing its the dickheads that screw up things for the rest of us.

I am always strait to the point and call a spade a spade.

Funny the one thing is i wish farmers would all get on the same page but that has been tried before and will be again some time in the future and always ends with same results we can't.

Sort of like this place not every one will agree with you and they shouldn't. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Nov 1, 2017 | 20:11 59 The guys who are quitting around here all have the same sentiment. ...they won't and don't miss the marketing scams, schemes and crookery.

Some people can deny it all they want but sometimes the uncomfortable truths hurt. Its not all bad but there's been enough to keep me wary!

And if you wonder about the cynical skepticism at times....fool me once-shame on you, fool me twice-shame on me. So I am on my guard......Seller beware.

Respect is reciprocal when I receive it.

Ya right....what do you think is easier to manipulate?... weak powerless prey or strong powerful link in the chain. ...everything is fine as long as you're bent over but heaven forbid you stand up! Reply With Quote
Nov 2, 2017 | 02:10 60
Oh yea I’m working on it.

But looks like no wheat in 2017 when a 120 oats crop can pay more than a number 1 12.5 protein hrs crop and way cheaper to grow just need a picked up price for next year and well buy another swather and swath instead of spray and the Grain companies can keep killing malt barley and hrs and durum.

Crooks plain and simple highway robbery.
Why complain Harper and Ritz gave you wheat you wanted "Market Freedom" the only thing free about that is the wheat you are selling. Reply With Quote