• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Producer Group Director Elections.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Producer Group Director Elections.

It's that time of year. Does everyone take the time to vote? Do people think we need consolidation across the three Western grain producing provinces?

Directed an inquiry to the only one running for the pulse board that grows soybeans. Asked what that agency really does for soy growers for their non-refundable check off soybean dollars. My answer is they do nothing since its such a major world crop. Wanted to know his answer. The dick wouldn't even reply, so I won't be sending in a ballot.

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
      Directed an inquiry to the only one running for the pulse board that grows soybeans. Asked what that agency really does for soy growers for their non-refundable check off soybean dollars. My answer is they do nothing since its such a major world crop. Wanted to know his answer. The dick wouldn't even reply, so I won't be sending in a ballot.
      you should run if soybeans are important to you and you feel that soybean growers are being underrepresented

Comment

One thing that ticks me off about the elections this year. Regarding Sask Wheat elections, I see that there is sitting Sask wheat directors who are not up for re-election actively showing preference for fellow directors and one other candidate. This is BS in my opinion. Some guys did this on Sask pulse a few years ago and they had to resign. This is a bad practice and needs to stop. There are lots of good candidates and I am hoping for a change.

Comment

That's not my point, or my interest. He might just have well stated that he didn't grow soybeans in his bio.

All I wanted was his view, and I would have balloted for him. Now, not a chance.

Comment

ok sure. My point was that your right that there is not enough soybean growers on the sask pulse board. There is a lot of beans being grown now in Sask, over 800000 acres this year. As a soybean grower we need representation. I have too many irons in the fire myself to consider running but there is lots of growers out there that can step up.

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
              Submit your inquiry to all those running. You will get a reply from one, guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                ok sure. My point was that your right that there is not enough soybean growers on the sask pulse board. There is a lot of beans being grown now in Sask, over 800000 acres this year. As a soybean grower we need representation. I have too many irons in the fire myself to consider running but there is lots of growers out there that can step up.

Representation for what?

How many producer groups are there? They all do absolutely nothing. SPGA stood by and watched while we gave away the goose that laid the golden eggs then decided maybe spend some money researching it after.

A complete waste of money and time... Out money that is.

They do nothing.

Politics and lobbying. Old boys clubs. Vacations and parties and events all paid for with producer checkoff funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                  Representation for what?

How many producer groups are there? They all do absolutely nothing. SPGA stood by and watched while we gave away the goose that laid the golden eggs then decided maybe spend some money researching it after.

A complete waste of money and time... Out money that is.

They do nothing.

Politics and lobbying. Old boys clubs. Vacations and parties and events all paid for with producer checkoff funds.
                  I agree for the most part. MB canola has to work to figure out how to spend all the checkoff dollars they collect. Mentality is similar to federal gov in some ways.... We need to spend this money we have because if we dont that means we dont need it. so we have to spend it to justify our existence. Not going to say they do nothing useful but lots of $$ pissed away for sure and yes definitely old boys clubs for sure.

Canola cant even put together unbiased variety trials anymore, total joke.

Pulse growers in mb does some really good research. Don't mind paying that one.

Some groups want to merge into one group but of course Canola growers won't. Self serving gov mentality coming through again?

Comment

I think the SPGA has done amazing work. They even reduced levies because they were collecting a windfall...that may change again in the future.

Could we get by with one wheat commission or even combined wheat and barley can call it a cereals commission?

Then theres SMGA (MUSTARD growers) and Sask Flax.

Has there been amalgamations for office synergies/efficiencies in some of the smaller commissions.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                      I agree for the most part. MB canola has to work to figure out how to spend all the checkoff dollars they collect. Mentality is similar to federal gov in some ways.... We need to spend this money we have because if we dont that means we dont need it. so we have to spend it to justify our existence. Not going to say they do nothing useful but lots of $$ pissed away for sure and yes definitely old boys clubs for sure.

Canola cant even put together unbiased variety trials anymore, total joke.

Pulse growers in mb does some really good research. Don't mind paying that one.

Some groups want to merge into one group but of course Canola growers won't. Self serving gov mentality coming through again?

SPGA funds varietal development... and it's a mandatory checkoff... however they spend 20 million and about $5 million is for varietal development... another 3 million for agronomy research... That's 8 million. They pulled in 22 million plus from checkoffs.

12 million is for "fluff" that doesn't actually do anything.

And they are the most useful organization.

Sask wheat growers... Then Sask Wheat development commission

Barley commission...

List goes on.

Canada has associations and organizations for everything, yet Kazakstan and Argentina are taking our pulse markets... with our own varieties.

Manitoba corn growers association... Really?

And then you go through the parliamentary meetings... and see what these group's representatives are telling Ottawa...

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                        SPGA funds varietal development... and it's a mandatory checkoff... however they spend 20 million and about $5 million is for varietal development... another 3 million for agronomy research... That's 8 million. They pulled in 22 million plus from checkoffs.

12 million is for "fluff" that doesn't actually do anything.

And they are the most useful organization.

Sask wheat growers... Then Sask Wheat development commission

Barley commission...

List goes on.

Canada has associations and organizations for everything, yet Kazakstan and Argentina are taking our pulse markets... with our own varieties.

Manitoba corn growers association... Really?

And then you go through the parliamentary meetings... and see what these group's representatives are telling Ottawa...
                        Manitoba corn growers is funny basically like a high school club comparing whos dick is the biggest with their annual high yield strip competition.

IN Manitoba we have

Flax growers
                        Canola growers
                        Oat growers
                        Wheat and Barley growers
                        Corn Growers
                        Pulse Growers
                        Sunflower growers
                        Hemp Group
                        Buckwheat growers
                        Kap
                        Plus lord knows how many livestock groups

Comment

.....how about fair contract terms for Producers, not this 90 day bullshit. And with real enforceable consequences for non-performance! No blaming railroads or whatever. ...or buying cheaper grain and taking it and leaving earlier higher priced contracts for later. No proof that happens but I'd bet it does.

And what's fair is fair....penalties for producers who don't deliver within contract delivery terms if they've been given the opportunity.

But the trump card could be, "the grain doesn't match the representative sample!".....got to think of all angles the way it is today!

Comment

Why does anyone even bother to run, if you have a good idea to help the group but you may also benefit you get crucified,( Bill Moreau)

Comment

don't forget in addition to all these groups, there is a second layer of bureaucracy called the Canadian canola growers ass. And you thought governments were wasteful with other peoples money.

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                              Manitoba corn growers is funny basically like a high school club comparing whos dick is the biggest with their annual high yield strip competition.

IN Manitoba we have

Flax growers
                              Canola growers
                              Oat growers
                              Wheat and Barley growers
                              Corn Growers
                              Pulse Growers
                              Sunflower growers
                              Hemp Group
                              Buckwheat growers
                              Kap
                              Plus lord knows how many livestock groups

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.