• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self feeding chopped hay

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self feeding chopped hay

Been thinking about building some large feed panels the cows could push in to a feed pile as they eat. Want a system where I can chop some straw in with some hay but not have to start the tractor everyday to feed. Mostly feed with a truck and bale handler but need to stretch feed a bit this year.

Was thinking about 2 side freestanding panels and have 2 end feeder panels that hang and slide in as the feed is used up.

Anyone ever build anything like that?

No, but I've seen various reports of people doing the same thing. Should be able to search up articles on the internet showing the system and designs. I think prairie farm report covered it too?

Comment

We had a neighbour that built something similar. They had a fenced yard and a panel on wheels that moved in. They sold it at his estate sale a few years ago and I don't have pics. I think it worked pretty well.

Comment

Had purchased some feed thru panels that came off of a similar system. Believe the two sides were stationary, made out of drill pipe..and they two movable panels kind of hung on the stationary sides...would roll in as used....believed they used a chain to make sure it couldn't roll to the outward side or to keep bottom of movable panel from flipping up.

Remember my grandfather using a hammer mill and fed hay and straw bales (square) along with barley or oats....into an old granary with a few boards taken out along bottom for a self feeder....must have worked.....

Comment

Seen something on Kijiji which held 8 big rounds or equivalent volume of tubground material. Claimed 60+ head could feed off it for however many days with little waste. Think it was called a swing feeder.

Comment

If the same thing, they would push in from the bottom on a hinge on top.....let animals get closer to the bale.....many bale feeders are a real problem for calves unable to reach the bale.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.