• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Farm in Canada

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Farm in Canada

A few of us young guys that are building farm's are discussing this now.

Between taxes lack of infrastructure inability to properly drain or irrigate... Social license issues... Regulations laws and government getting in the way of everything... A coming carbon tax that'll choke ag even more and basically no support programs to offset any of it...

On top of that land prices that are rediculous high compared to other countries...

A million goes a lot further in many countries than it does here... Countries closer to markets.

Food for thought I guess.

Other than the Northern US, I am not sure where else would be as secure politically or by physical geography. Majority of countries political will could change in an instant and land could be seized from the peasants, who have no weapons to defend their property like in case of UK, Europe, Down Under or South America. Or in the case of Southern US, you get to play with hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, disease and the worst calamity of all, people. A pile of which are hopped up on drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
      Other than the Northern US, I am not sure where else would be as secure politically or by physical geography. Majority of countries political will could change in an instant and land could be seized from the peasants, who have no weapons to defend their property like in case of UK, Europe, Down Under or South America. Or in the case of Southern US, you get to play with hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, disease and the worst calamity of all, people. A pile of which are hopped up on drugs.

Wow. Do you travel? Pretty grim world view!

Russia's new constitution grants you the right to defend yourself and your property by firearm if necessary.

You have 0 property rights in Canada... Not even the right to defend yourself.

As far as political look to Ottawa... Alberta (bill 6)...

Canadians love going on about how great Canada is... But we need to stop doing that and start looking at what we've given up or lost in 30 years. Kinda scary to look at.

Comment

If the dollar was par the northern usa would be very tempting.

Comment

I'd say there aren't many places with less Government restrictions, low land prices and at the same time stable regimes.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
            I'd say there aren't many places with less Government restrictions, low land prices and at the same time stable regimes.
            I found this a while back... Thought of you.

[URL="https://www.gatewaytosouthamerica.com/en/info-uruguay.php?id=549&type=farm"]https://www.gatewaytosouthamerica.com/en/info-uruguay.php?id=549&type=farm[/URL]

Comment

WHAT!?!?!?!?! Land prices in Western Canada too expensive for our future generation of farmers to buy? You don't say!

I know! Rent from the speculators and investors! Make the investment worth their while so you can be a tenant your whole life instead of owning the asset you want to farm!n Thank goodness twenty five to thirty years ago it was possible for a young farmer to afford to buy land. I still may only be a Sandbox farmer in the Slum of the Ghetto but it's my ****ing sandbox!

Edit: Sandbox farmer...aka. Small Time Operator
              Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 24, 2017, 16:58.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                Australia 200ft airdrills, next to F'all for inputs, 1 combine per 10000 acres required, $600 an acre, 2 hours from the coast. Sounds good

Comment

Is Canada stable? There's almost a revolution with Western Canada separating. Unrest is growing.

Russia? I'd be afraid of organized crime and racketeering.

US? Wouldn't want my son drafted to fight some war for oil rights.

But, Canada is still pretty good. We just let in too many immigrants. Have since the 1600's.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                    I found this a while back... Thought of you.

[URL="https://www.gatewaytosouthamerica.com/en/info-uruguay.php?id=549&type=farm"]https://www.gatewaytosouthamerica.com/en/info-uruguay.php?id=549&type=farm[/URL]
                    Thanks but no thanks - I looked at the options before moving here and have not regretted my choice.

Here's a good one for you. A nice Scottish arable farm of 520 acres - listed at only $8.74 million in Cdn money!
                    [URL="http://www.uklandandfarms.co.uk/rural-property-for-sale/scotland/lowlands/duns-e6tulym1/"]http://http://www.uklandandfarms.co.uk/rural-property-for-sale/scotland/lowlands/duns-e6tulym1/[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                      Is Canada stable? There's almost a revolution with Western Canada separating. Unrest is growing.

Russia? I'd be afraid of organized crime and racketeering.

US? Wouldn't want my son drafted to fight some war for oil rights.

But, Canada is still pretty good. We just let in too many immigrants. Have since the 1600's.
                      LOL, almost a revolution? - people are getting so mad a few of them have taken to typing anonymous comments on internet web forums. Your last point was pretty funny though!

Comment

first world problems in Canada. most other countries your future is much less predictable, ie corrupt governments, crime, weather, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                          Wow. Do you travel? Pretty grim world view!

Russia's new constitution grants you the right to defend yourself and your property by firearm if necessary.

You have 0 property rights in Canada... Not even the right to defend yourself.

As far as political look to Ottawa... Alberta (bill 6)...

Canadians love going on about how great Canada is... But we need to stop doing that and start looking at what we've given up or lost in 30 years. Kinda scary to look at.

A person always has the ability to defend himself - didn't know you needed the government to give you permission.

You are really delusional if you trust any document the Russians write up as a charter.

Maybe do speeches on the topic of leaving and see if you can get the Hutts and Menno's to all go with you! Not having to compete against untaxed church money would be a big help for me!

Comment

Yes, please send the Hutts and Mennos. They're both blessed apparently, so they'll make out anywhere. (As long as they don't have to join the army.)

Comment

Why not farm here.....we are on the leading edge of technology and showing the world how to do it....

Morris gets 3.5 million to keep selling to the Russians. ...

We are the furthest from port of any exporting nation and no one wants to improve the infrastructure while every country we compete with is building export infrastructure. ...

We are so stupid.....I agree Klause there is a limited future here as we adapt third world countries problems of corrupt government and failing infrastructure..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...