• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climate Change deniers have won - Finally

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it doesn't work in Canada, where does it?

The same will happen with grains, other countries will produce it at a lower cost, then what?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      Still looking at options. There are turn key options or you can buy a lot of the components and do a lot of the install yourself. You need an electrician. A local electrician just did a 5 day solar course this summer.

Just came back from a neighbor who has about a 30 kw system installed. He is a farmer and former accountant who has crunched the numbers and pay back is about 10 years and expect another 20 years of low cost electricity under the net metering program in Saskatchewan before the panels need replacing.

I will let you know when I make my decision. The longer I wait the more the panels increase in efficiency and the costs go down. There's no rush guys. My kids will enjoy the fruits of our labour and investments and I am hoping to live another 30-40 years if I am lucky. Freedom 85 as we say in farming!
      What - no rush?? Your overlords tell you that the earth is going to hell in a hand cart and you say there's NO RUSH? So you either have selective faith in them or you are putting your bank account ahead of the good of society.

Isn't that what you accuse us of, you bloody hypocrite?

You've had lots of time to put your money where your mouth is. You're just like the top of your ideolgical food chain - cry doom and gloom but live like there's no tomorrow, LOL!! The Goracle and Frizzuki taught you well, hahaha!

Sure, we understand, capitalism is a lovely thing!

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
        Just like the oil and gas industry then? The cost of cleaning up the current # of abandoned and inactive wells in Alberta is more than the value of all the oilfield companies operating in that jurisdiction. If they had to do it, as law requires, the entire oil and gas industry there would be insolvent tomorrow. So of course the taxpayer is going to be on the hook for the cleanup. Don't kid yourself oil and gas production in Canada is either environmentally sound, sustainable or unsubsidized.
        Good point Grass. I live in an oil area and the number of orphan wells, abandoned roads, leases, unused powers lines, hidden oil and salt water spills, degraded soil on lease sites and pipeline right of ways is substantial.

The oil patch is more careful now but they have no intention of cleaning up all the problem sites. So there was a lot of money made but little of it will be used to fix the problems. Didn't somebody propose that the government subsidize a make work project to clean up orphan wells?

As I have said many times the long term value of the farmland and soil far exceeds any of the oil or gas that will be produced on farm land because food production will have to go on forever unless Trump and Kim Jong Un blow us all up first.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
          What - no rush?? Your overlords tell you that the earth is going to hell in a hand cart and you say there's NO RUSH? So you either have selective faith in them or you are putting your bank account ahead of the good of society.

You've had lots of time to put your money where your mouth is. You're just like the top of your ideolgical food chain - cry doom and gloom but live like there's no tomorrow, LOL!! The Goracle and Frizzuki taught you well, hahaha!

Relatively speaking there is no rush on my individual part to install solar. We just started discussing solar options within the last 12 months or so. So don't get your shorts in a knot. It wasn't on radar because of high costs previously. That has changed a lot.

Climate change and reducing greenhouse gases is on the radar of almost every large industry and government. The time to make major greenhouse reductions is relatively short

Even Harper said that by 2100 we will have stopped using fossil energy sources. 82 years away - 1 lifetime. There are a few who cling onto their firmly held beliefs that there is no problem, but humans are often unable to think beyond their own small lives and plan for the future. Most live pay cheque to pay cheque.

In any case Saskpower is planning on 1600 Mw of wind and a few solar projects on our behalf which is going to take several years.

There has been several stories on farms and businesses adopting solar systems across the prairies reported recently in farm publications. So it is just not me advocating or adopting more renewables.

Burnt, either you are living under a stone or completely blinded by your political views.

Maybe its time to sell your shares in the buggy whip company!

Comment

And that's how it's done. c.c. rider waiting for for the subsidies and someone else to sacrifice the skin.

Comment

Yes and farmers receive subsidies as well. How many of you sent back you matching Agri invest deposit from the Federal Government? Or paid the full premium on your crop insurance?

Comment

What's crop insurance actually worth ?
                Where's all the premium ? Where has the money gone ?
                The vast majority of the premiums vanish into general coffers so was or is that really a subsidy ?

Comment

Well said Burnt. Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                    So Chuck how is your solar projects coming along? Will you have your air fans spinning cooling off your grain this fall? I would like to see what you get set up and I am sure others on here would like to see what your building. Please keep us uninformed informed.
                    LOL.....if nothing else the followers of ST. Suzuki have interesting excuses for not being setup for wind or solar yet.
                    Yes for an important source of reliable power they will all be using coal, hydro-electric, natural gas or nuclear.

Comment

Just for the record...Estevan Sask wasn't the first chosen site for the SaskPower 10Mw solar demonstration as suggested by chuck previously.

Would you believe that the reasoning centered around taking land out of production in the RM. Did the other supporters like tweety see that coming. What else do these experts miss beside the wholoe bigger picture that they choose to exempt themselves from

Comment

Originally posted by oneoff View Post
                        Just for the record...Estevan Sask wasn't the first chosen site for the SaskPower 10Mw solar demonstration as suggested by chuck previously.

Would you believe that the reasoning centered around taking land out of production in the RM. Did the other supporters like tweety see that coming. What else do these experts miss beside the whole much bigger picture that they choose to exempt themselves from.
                        Just musing.

Comment

For one person to have any real impact on climate change, it would take some major sacrifices: give up the car, stop eating meat, avoid transatlantic flights and, most importantly, have one fewer child than you had planned, according to a new study by a researcher at the University of British Columbia.

So why then, the study asks, do Canadian high school textbooks still tell students to do their part by merely hanging their laundry and recycling? Especially since recycling, upgrading light bulbs and hanging laundry doesn’t cut greenhouse gas half as much as skipping out on a single transatlantic flight.

The study, by UBC PhD student Seth Wynes and Prof. Kimberly Nicholas at Sweden’s Lund University, was published Tuesday in the journal Environmental Research Letters.

Comment

Originally posted by oneoff View Post
                            For one person to have any real impact on climate change, it would take some major sacrifices: give up the car, stop eating meat, avoid transatlantic flights and, most importantly, have one fewer child than you had planned, according to a new study by a researcher at the University of British Columbia.

So why then, the study asks, do Canadian high school textbooks still tell students to do their part by merely hanging their laundry and recycling? Especially since recycling, upgrading light bulbs and hanging laundry doesn’t cut greenhouse gas half as much as skipping out on a single transatlantic flight.

The study, by UBC PhD student Seth Wynes and Prof. Kimberly Nicholas at Sweden’s Lund University, was published Tuesday in the journal Environmental Research Letters.
                            No doubt that the studies authors are correct in the current energy situation. It looks like we may be headed towards less cars. Some are predicting driver less electric cars with an Uber like system along with mass transit will make owning your own car in urban and suburban areas unnecessary. Why does everyone need a car that is used only a short time each day and sits doing nothing for most of the day? Apparently lots of millennials aren't interested in owning and driving cars as it interferes with their phone screen time.

Alot of the technology that will be needed to switch from fossil energy to renewables is already here or being worked on. Net zero energy use housing technology already exists. Costs will come down with greater adoption. Whether it is solar, electric, or hydrogen fuel cells or something else, we are transitioning away from carbon based fuels. How long it takes and what the transition will look like are the big questions.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                              Why does everyone need a car that is used only a short time each day and sits doing nothing for most of the day? Apparently lots of millennials aren't interested in owning and driving cars as it interferes with their phone screen time.
                              Wow, you really don't even try to find the fact that you are an outright Marxist, chuck chuck - What business of yours is it why someone wants to one a vehicle whether they use it 18 hours a day or whether it sits in their garage unused?

I'd say mind your own business - if you don't want a car or truck - don't bother owning one. But you have absolutely no business trying to superimpose your ideals on anyone else.

chuck chuck and the other Marxists on here are the ones who will be first in line to help confiscate the private property of those who have built personal wealth, they are the cohort of the Communist looters.

Comment

Wow, you really don't even try to find the fact that you are an outright Marxist, chuck chuck - What business of yours is it why someone wants to one a vehicle whether they use it 18 hours a day or whether it sits in their garage unused?

I'd say mind your own business - if you don't want a car or truck - don't bother owning one. But you have absolutely no business trying to superimpose your ideals on anyone else.

chuck chuck and the other Marxists on here are the ones who will be first in line to help confiscate the private property of those who have built personal wealth, they are the cohort of the Communist looters.
                                Too funny Burnt. You wouldn't know a Marxist if Karl kicked you in the ass. Did I say anything about restricting car ownership? I Just posed a question about the future. Burnt I think you are incapable of understanding the nuance of discussions that go over your head or are beyond your limited political views. The world will change whether you want it to or not. I know it is simpler for you to define other people views based on outdated labels. Are you still fighting the cold war from your dark dimly lit bunker?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...