• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deduction for low px on malt

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quadtrack , ya not the first time they have done things like that .

Comment

A typical bottle of beer requires 1oz of Barley to manufacture. One bushel is enough for over 700 bottles of beer. The farmer gets about half a cent per bottle of beer.

Question: How many bushels after expenses does the farmer need to sell to be able to afford one beer?

#NoBeer4YouMrFarmerJustHigherTaxes
      Last edited by biglentil; Sep 23, 2017, 08:10.

Comment

Thanks, mcfarms, for reference to quality.
        Last few years have been unprecedented in malt contract prices over feed.
        This year, after mid harvest and excess amount of high quality in the bins, price differences are back to or below more traditional levels.
        Expect surplus to keep a lid on contract prices for next year production.

Comment

Mcfarms.

Dumb question on my part, but consider that I have never been in a beer making plant, or know the process, or for that matter have any idea what beer tastes like, as excuses.

Would such a process get into serious double trouble using blended barley of half 13% with half 9% protein to arrive at a desired 11%? Is it possible that a straight across the board batch within a tiny range of a few tenths protein is actually required, or the end product is screwed?

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
            Mcfarms.

Dumb question on my part, but consider that I have never been in a beer making plant, or know the process, or for that matter have any idea what beer tastes like, as excuses.

Would such a process get into serious double trouble using blended barley of half 13% with half 9% protein to arrive at a desired 11%? Is it possible that a straight across the board batch within a tiny range of a few tenths protein is actually required, or the end product is screwed?
            Good question. Yes uniform protein is very important.As simply as I can put it. Yiest feeds on the proteins the yiest that is used and rate it breaks down protein has to be close on every kernal. If some kernals are high or low in any given batch all will not be used or not enough to preform correctly.

Brewing is a very precise art and needs uniform product to make.

Beer drinkers are very fussy and one bad batch or even bottle can lose that customer.

Comment

Thats shitty. They always seem to want my low pro. Never quite had 9.5 tho. Close.

Comment

If you have a good long term and excellent relationship with a malt plant your going to want to be honest on proteins and they willl work with you I should hope. They do like to malt within different protein bands and then they have better control of the finished malt blend there.
                In this case I'm wondering if you had a production contract and if so is there a min spec on that contract?
                You are in the business of selling grain and meeting spec if that truck unloads within spec thats your job.

Comment

Mcfarms, do you know how pounds of "malt" would be left from a tonne of barley after it was malted? I think its germed and the sprouts/roots knocked and dried.....got to lose some weight. What is a tonne of malt worth? Should ask a micro-brewer.

Raw barley and malted barley are two different things.

Comment

Oats:
                    USA: 32 lb[4] (14.5150 kg)
                    Canada: 34 lb[5] (15.4221 kg)
                    Barley: 48 lb[4] (21.7724 kg)
                    Malted barley: 34 lb (15.4221 kg)
                    PS Im not that smart its from wikipedia have heard it before but had to look it up.

Comment

So that makes the raw barley 30% heavier. A $4.50/bu barley price would make a malted bushel worth about $5.85 because of weight loss alone. ...not counting any other malting process expenses or margin or salvage of sprout and root byproduct. Now I wonder what the malt is sold to the brewer for...?

Comment

Export values are listed at around 75 cents per kilogram
                        In 2015 Canada had around 10% of total value in world trade

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                          Export values are listed at around 75 cents per kilogram
                          In 2015 Canada had around 10% of total value in world trade
                          So $750/ tonne versus about $205/ tonne for the barley($4.50/bu).

Thanks 101. (CAD or USD ?)
                          Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 24, 2017, 06:59.

Comment

That would be CAD
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Malt values.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	766019

Comment

Maybe I need to apologize for my ignorance but what does the CAD$ value line represent.

Comment

Total value in CAD

2017 malt barley market is not a winner.

Australia's production hit the market and sunk it
                                Last edited by farming101; Sep 24, 2017, 08:26.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...