• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

knife edge for many

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knife edge for many

Three months of below average rain across large swathes of New South Wales is resulting in a continued downgrading of crops.

Many agronomists now believe that 40 per cent of the yield potential has now been lost with the situation compounded by widespread frosts in many regions.

Cowra agronomist Peter Watt of Elders said crops in his region were just holding on.

"We need rain for some of our farmers to get out of jail this year," he said.

"Unfortunately, the forecast is for extremely hot conditions coming up over the weekend and that is the last thing we need.

"What has probably saved many farmers in this region is the fact they are not just cropping but they have sheep and cattle providing them with income from meat and wool."

Northern crops hit hardest

Further north of Cowra, between Narromine and Warren, the situation is even more desperate.

Agronomist with Muldoon Pratten, Ryan Pratten, said a lot of crops were beyond saving and most likely would be used as animal fodder.

"Lack of rainfall since March, an exceptionally dry winter, and a series of frosts have really knocked the crops around here," he said.

"It is still unknown how much damage the frost has done to the wheat crops and it will be two weeks before we can quantify it.

"Further north, around Walgett, the situation is even worse and many did not even bother to sow a crop this year."

Tony Lockrey, agronomist in the Moree and Narrabri district, said they were really struggling with barley, canola, and wheat crops all under huge pressure.

He said they were going backwards rapidly after a challenging year right from the start.

"Some of the best margins of returns are on paddocks where nothing was planted as the costs were kept way down," he said.

"Many of the failed crops are now being used as cattle feed as they are not worth harvesting."

Worthless crops to become fodder for animals

The parlous nature of the crops in NSW should come as no surprise.

A found Australia had experienced the hottest winter on record across the nation.

It has also been one of the driest, with average maximum temperatures up to two degrees Celsius higher than usual.

The report shows that this year's winter had seen 260 individual records broken for record daytime temperatures and low rainfall.

The Council's Professor Lesley Hughes said statistically, this was 60 times more likely to be because of climate change and global warming and that warm weather would now be the norm.

"Farmers are bearing the brunt of these extreme weather conditions and NSW is copping it this year in particular," she said.

"We know that farmers are great adapters [at] choosing different varieties: earlier harvesting, changing sowing times and trying different types of crops.

"However, many experts are asking just how much more farmers can adapt and still stay profitable?

"The other belief is that the new warmer, drier, winters are the norm rather than the exception."

And here in Canada drought increases yields and those in government are trying hard to kill Ag and not worried at all about the well being of farmers what so ever.
    Oh and inputs are going up as we speak , we should just be happy and let everyone take everything we work for from our pockets because we live in the best country in the world .... 🙄🙄

Comment

We apparently have a record crop here as well.

Grain companies will have a tough time buying grain ( in the dry areas ) as growers will hold and sell only for cash flow needs ( tax increases, + 5 % PST on all insurance premiums (hail, crop, machinery etc) and 21% municipal land tax increase, and carbon tax $50 ton, and estate succession taxes, and)

And
      We will have a massive undersized crop next year if we continue our record dryness. No pre contracting, no buying anything

Comment

Meh.
        It sounds like the same hymn book over here. Everybody says they are not going to make it and then overpays for another 5 quarters and three new combines.

Comment

all I wanna know is , where the f$&k are all the grain bags for this huge bumper crop ??. I'm not seeing many here and we were luckier than most in this area

Comment

How dare you question the estimates of the grain trade. We will produce a record crop and next year will be larger whether it rains or not.

Comment

It's all bullshit no bags any where or very few. Funny if I here on more guy say it's a great quality, oh look a black bear and off on another topic.

No one is bragging even the big dogs

Comment

Anyone else sick of hearing the crop is better than expected? Take the rose coloured glasses off and give your head a shake the bins are half empty. But I know a guy on 1.5 inches blah blah blah F off already not buyin it. Just went on a 100 mile cross country trip. Did not see a single grain bag. You know what I did see spring wheat that was about 8" tall and very thin. Lots of it infact.
                Last edited by biglentil; Sep 21, 2017, 20:22.

Comment

Not much crop off here been some what wet summer and now 2and 3 in rain and not that far away 6in snow, looks to be shaping up like last yr. I hear its dry up to just north of Calgary, then very changeable, it is what it is.

Comment

A guy beside us had a block of five quarters of barley(on rented land without bins) where the **** did he put it all...he has his own crop off his own land to fill his own bins with. Same with canola...no bags. Bags are good for guys who rent land without bins(or have enough permanent storage for all the crop they grow)....I don't know if this guy has one bag on the rented land by us....none that I recall seeing! Very few bags around here compared to some other years.

But I do need to remember that everywhere isn't the same as my back yard....

Our yields were a bit under half of last year's on a large portion of our farm. ..not half of our "average" but definitely more than a bit lower.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      all I wanna know is , where the f$&k are all the grain bags for this huge bumper crop ??. I'm not seeing many here and we were luckier than most in this area
                      Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                      It's all bullshit no bags any where or very few.......
                      Err.... isn't this a grain bag - or is it like the rain - you don't count it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 9.41.33 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	766013
                      Last edited by grassfarmer; Sep 21, 2017, 20:43.

Comment

One of very few ? He did say that , don't be an ass grass .

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                          Err.... isn't this a grain bag - or is it like the rain - you don't count it?

[ATTACH]2155[/ATTACH]
                          That's a silage bag with a grains cart beside it!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            About 40 bags S of Kelvington, near the hog barns. Again they got the most rainfall since April, 12"

Comment

I will try again for you grass , maybe i can say it slower . I am not seeing many here , usually one on every second quarter . Hope you get my drift

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...