• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protein discounts/premiums changing today.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein discounts/premiums changing today.

re CWRS wheat
    ----------- was ----- now

11.5pro was -.80 now>>> -1.40
    12.0pro was -.40 now>>> -.70
    12.5pro was -.20 now>>> -.35
    13.0pro was 0.00 now>> 0.00
    13.5pro was +.25 now>> +.25
    14.0pro was +.50 now>> +.55
    14.5pro was +.70 now>> +.80
    15.0pro was +.85 now>> +1.05
    15.5pro was +.95 now>> +1.30

Looks like it woulda paid to top dress more now .
    Go from 13 to 15 would of paid very well

Comment

Does top dressing anhydrous when the grain is in the bin work? ;-)

Comment

Protein has a lot to do with what variety you pick, not just weather and fertility. Some years it matters not, but on a year like this, following last year the message was: if you are growing CWRS grow for protein! We are seed growers and I a few things you learn when you seed several varieties of the same crop: protein does vary on varieties! In the USA they list annually the protein % and the wheat yields so you can compare year in year out, on a test plot basis so this is more accurate. I wish we did the same thing as indeed this is where you can truly compare: on annual data. The world is awash in wheat, but will pay a premium for high protein, and this is what we do best!

Comment

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/varietytrials

If you are curious on variety performance in the USA check out North Dakota State University Data. Every year annual, head to head yields are given with far greater detail than we see in Saskatchewan. You will be able to see protein compared and yield, seed size.. quite a list, check it out, and then ask yourself why we do not have this data in Saskatchewan. Maybe WGRF could spend a few dollar investing in better data so we can compare apples to apples in varietal selection! Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            Looks like it woulda paid to top dress more now .
            Go from 13 to 15 would of paid very well
            Dad has a smaller piece of low lying ground that salinity is taking over, so we're trying to seed it every year. Idea being if we don't use it, we're likely to lose it. Long term I'd like to find a salt tolerant forage mix to put in there that could be baled up for feed. Water table is pretty much right at the surface even in a prolonged drought so we need something to keep pulling on the water. Anyway... Threw ~300lb of 32.4-12.2-0-3.8 at it with the urea component made up of 100% esn. Should have been advantageous for increased protein with a fairly substantial shot of N being released late, but it is the most pie-balled sample we have this year. Yield was through the roof though... God forbid i had to steer by hand for most of it cause the GPS kicks out at anything below 1mph. Even with next to no moisture from June 30 on, and relentless heat, it packed it all into bushels. High protein wheat seems more and more like a white elephant.

Comment

Pre-pricing was the only way to play it this year.
              Lately protein premiums up - dollars per bushel flat or down.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                Pre-pricing was the only way to play it this year.
                Lately protein premiums up - dollars per bushel flat or down.
                101.... for heaven's sake it's only the third week of Sept, kinda the middle of harvest, long time for markets to change.... But WTF do I know!

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                  Dad has a smaller piece of low lying ground that salinity is taking over, so we're trying to seed it every year. Idea being if we don't use it, we're likely to lose it. Long term I'd like to find a salt tolerant forage mix to put in there that could be baled up for feed. Water table is pretty much right at the surface even in a prolonged drought so we need something to keep pulling on the water. Anyway... Threw ~300lb of 32.4-12.2-0-3.8 at it with the urea component made up of 100% esn. Should have been advantageous for increased protein with a fairly substantial shot of N being released late, but it is the most pie-balled sample we have this year. Yield was through the roof though... God forbid i had to steer by hand for most of it cause the GPS kicks out at anything below 1mph. Even with next to no moisture from June 30 on, and relentless heat, it packed it all into bushels. High protein wheat seems more and more like a white elephant.
                  grow titanium

Comment

Farma, didn't mean to make it sound like a five alarm fire
                    Plenty of time for prices to improve.
                    Just if a guy has to move some now it is kind of a let down knowing where values were only a couple months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                      Farma, didn't mean to make it sound like a five alarm fire
                      Plenty of time for prices to improve.
                      Just if a guy has to move some now it is kind of a let down knowing where values were only a couple months ago.
                      Wonder how much the grain Co's sold at that price? Surely they would have been marketing like crazy trying to get as much of that price for farmers as they could.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                        Wonder how much the grain Co's sold at that price? Surely they would have been marketing like crazy trying to get as much of that price for farmers as they could.
                        With all due repect WM, Re-read what you posted....unless that was unadulterated sarcasm....they work for themselves only. We all had a chance to lock in some production and did what we did(or didn't do)for various reasons.

101...that could very well have been the "high" price opportunity for the 17/18 marketing year. But surely good quality wheat with decent Px will recover. But WTF do I know

Comment

Durum in the US was up a dollar today.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            With all due repect WM, Re-read what you posted....unless that was unadulterated sarcasm....they work for themselves only. We all had a chance to lock in some production and did what we did(or didn't do)for various reasons.

101...that could very well have been the "high" price opportunity for the 17/18 marketing year. But surely good quality wheat with decent Px will recover. But WTF do I know
                            our reason was seeding hrsw end of may

Comment

If any of you did the click through to the US variety trials you will see that the varieties are different than ours, but you will see that the data is head to head annual data, with several trials reporting. In in Saskatchewan we have yield averages, & protein average +/- by %. We have no individual data and no individual plots reporting so a producer can see what the varieties did in their region. In the US each variety is listed with \ protein and yields (other factors you will note are included) and each station reports data separately. A highly transparent process.

This year as many ponder their wheat protein on your farm how valuable would this data be to you as you select the pest performing variety. If Saskatchewan had USA data you would be able to see head to head data from trials.

I have lobbied for better data on varieties in Saskatchewan for a bit now, and from my conversations farmers agree. Many associations are electing directors right now, including Wheat, I urge you to ask for better data in our variety guide as a base line performance. Indeed data is not everything, but good data is necessary for base line decicion making, and in Saskatchewan this can be greatly approved.

Standardize the process, compare annual, and as in the US 2 year data and a 3 year average. If we are going to support higher royalties with UPOV 91 we have the right to know how the varieties perform in head to head testing on an annual basis. Some will say it costs too much, but WGRF has millions. Some will say the farmers may not need this data but I say we do. Ask us to pay Royalties on new and improved, give us the data to support the decisions.

My soap box.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...