• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat Yields, Canola Yields and the Bullshit old Combines tell the drivers.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat Yields, Canola Yields and the Bullshit old Combines tell the drivers.

Oh my god the crop is awesome its yielding 75 BPA and No rain in Southern sask. Or the Rouleau Bushel thats a little bigger than normal.

Funny they all don't work worth shit even if you have a scaled cart or a scale in the yard and try to calibrate them over and over. Some piece of straw gets in and they are out.

But farmers are farmers no one wants to be the guy with shitty yields.

Well last week we used the new Deere with the Load cells in the Hopper and its tied to the Combine computer. Ladies and Gentleman i think we finally have a reliable yield measurement.

The old machines running in same fields as new one. Same crop its even the difference is close to 22% difference and our machines are scaled every load.

Really its simple if the field is full 160 acres and you get 10400 bushels weight then you have a 65 bushel crop.

But if you have 100 acres you need 6500 bushels of crop.

Math wasn't a strong point in students since the early 80s with this rounding up and math makes sense bullshit. Maybe we have a generation that just rounds up.

But the new machine constantly was different yield by a average of 22% in our tests on a 8 hr run day. After a while only one machine was doing its thing.

Then you have the drivers picking up swaths and just driving round and round with out lifting the header yield was way down that way.

Header size and GPS drift. Yea the Massey use wass and it moves a lot in a section so using 35 ft on a 36 ft header is almost the best.

I just find it totally hilarious this year. No one is bragging yields except bullshit stories in CBC about new Wheat varieties that makes it sound like the average for spring wheat in SW was 55 bushel a acre average.

Yea AC brandon did do awesome in a 80 acre field at SwanRiver but reality its awesome dirt and it rains.

All I'm saying when you drive around you have to look for the mysterious grain bags this year. or Twitter mass yields or Facebook look at me wow its doing so good.

I for one am sticking with my early prediction 16.9 mt total Canadian Canola crop for just that reason.

Yes some have really good yields but WTF were the yields like the last 10 years all over huge.

Also funny you talk to farmers and every one says best looking crop ever, I'm real happy with the grades. or Yield was our old average.

When the final numbers are out i think the real story will finally be told. It was the year with No rain lots of subsoil moisture and what it could of been with just one decent rain.

New machine is nice but think we will be keeping ours a few more seasons.
    Last edited by SASKFARMER3; Sep 18, 2017, 07:08.

Sask. farmers beat drought with new wheat varietiesTo some Saskatchewan wheat farmers, rain clouds were like an endangered species this summer. But with harvest well underway, some of them may be shocked by what's grown out of bone-dry soil.

"Some of our newer varieties like AAC Brandon — we've heard yields of upwards of 80 to 90 bushels [per acre] on dry land," said wheat breeder Richard Cuthbert, referring to a type of spring wheat.

Around Swift Current, which has been one of the driest areas of the province, the variety may have produced yields as high as 50 bushels per acre, according to anecdotal evidence, Cuthbert said.n context, the average yield for spring wheat last year, in the six municipalities located directly around Swift Current, was 39 bushels per acre. The area saw significantly higher amounts of precipitation last summer, with July seeing twice the amount of rainfall it would normally see.Science to the rescue

A number of factors have contributed to wheat farmers in drought-stricken areas avoiding devastation, Cuthbert said, including a good bed of moisture in the ground coming out of winter.

However, the science of wheat breeding has played a major role.

"I'm pretty comfortable saying that half of this year's performance has been from improved genetics," he said.

There is no "fancy approaches" used to breed the today's impressive wheat varieties, he said, noting that no genetically modified organisms are used in the process.

"It's more informed breeding than what was done 100 years ago, but the principles are pretty similar."

He and a team of more than 20 people in Swift Current carry out research and breed new varieties of wheat. Cuthbert works with spring bread wheats, specifically.

Ah its all science.

Comment

We hauled in some canola and its lighter than last year. You put more grain in the truck to get to your 44 tonnes. It is probably a combination of the year and that the canola is testing under 6% moisture. We will be surprised here to the bad side as the bins dont have as much grain in them as you think. We dont use our yield monitor on the combine so it has never been calibrated. Oh wait yes we do, then I can say I have 50+ bushel canola. Wheat is heavy and barley weighs good but malt is worth nothing.

Comment

As I said in the other thread....if we had 6 wet years and minimum tillage prior to 1988 ....I doubt it would have been as bad .....

Another indicator about big yields or lack thereof.....where are the elevator lineups?

Why bag if the bins are full and there is an empty elevator? Oh you mean you didn't price at 9 bucks either because the crop wasn't there in July. ?

Although it's also an indicator that farmers have the capacity to hold this year's crop....

What a tug of war is that going to be when they can't fill the next train at today's prices.....

Comment

4G

The flax was light last year by a considerable factor.....and yet no adjustment made by statscan. ...

Production on flax for 2016 was 25 percent too high....nice gift to the buyers.....from statscan.

Comment

Wonder what varieties were used last year when it went 39 with more rain?

Comment

Another good question....the varieties that were more susceptible to disease?

Comment

Bucket,

We have not got into our flax yet but have heard the seeds are small. Time will tell.

The elevators are already looking for grain for the december timeframe. No issues delivering to the elevator like you say around here.

Comment

Yes wheat did weigh up really heavy and so did the Barley.

Yes the price of Malt at 4 and Feed at 3.50 picked up is a ****ing joke.

Yes the games that are played is awful. Just awful.

Finally Canola by weight has smaller seeds this year and is lighter due to dry seed.

Ah but the big four bins are full to the roof. Oh their is only 44000 in each bin really some one must of stolen 6000 bushels per bin.

Comment

Flax will be light this year as well....very thin seeds....

Comment

Well then, if the "old" combine yield monitors aren't accurate...how do you get an accurate prescription for variable rate applications...I guess if its consistently out across the whole field that's ok? But then you're application is wrong across the whole feild. Do pay little attention to our yield monitor.

Comment

Lol. S680 are old combines around there? Here 7720 are old combines and they tell no lies. Still can find them at work as well as White 8900, MF 850, TR96 in this area and none of them tell lies either.

Comment

SF3, funny you comment on the yield monitors. I had my red combine in for a thorough winter check last Dec. They kept insisting I let them install this new software update for the yield monitor. I didn't want it as it was an extra charge and I felt the yields were fairly close. I finely gave in as I thought it might improve the GPS. All it's done is improved my yields by 15-20%, though when I'm filling the bins, the grains not there.
                          Totally outta whack now, but sure makes you feel like a hellava farmer growing 55bus canola and 85 bus wheat in the 2017 crop year.

Comment

The only yield monitor or scale that matters is where you sell your grain. .....

Comment

Exactly right on this fake news story on varieties and yields.
                              Of course plant breeding is important. Over time small increments of yield improvement is made. Quality enhanced. Breeding in disease resistance (like Dr Knott did rust in 1955 I think) but this self serving claim of 50%? The western producer should know better but the CBC doesn't. Part of that article was just another chance for bill Gehl to get his name in the news ahead of this fall sask wheat election.
                              Sure there are some ok varieties but that maybe had 5% to do with this crop. No rain and no foliar disease, and saturated soil to start with was 90%.
                              As a farmer I will take 5% of the credit for putting some fert on and no till seeding.
                              So industry your seeds have not changed the fact a crop uses water to grow. Quit with the bullshit already.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.