• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain ☔️

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain ☔️

Man does it smell good 😊
    Down to the last bit of canola then Soybeans

Looks like it rained a fair amount SW of here .

Comment

I can breathe again !!! , nice , we were combining canola that's been down for only 7 days , no green ,testing 5 . got to be risky storing this shit . rain will be good for canola
      Last edited by Guest; Sep 13, 2017, 05:56.

Comment

Easy to tell who's almost done. Only 20% around here.

Comment

Just under 50% to go and i would like it to rain on our Canola. Rot the swaths and get the seed moisture back to 10 or 11 that extra 5% is a extra 100000. dollars. Its not about first past the gate its about money.

Its Second week of september not october or november. September.

Comment

Forecasting an inch+ for Friday here. Long range showing 3" around Thursday next week - bring it on!

Comment

Easy SF , easy to be a critic sometimes.
              We all know that 10 % canola is better than 5%
              I guarantee if you were done your wheat 8 days ago you would not be sitting waiting for rain lol lol
              Rain that forecast may or may not happen.
              Canola can be lost this time of year . Seen it , many of us have .
              What's worse 50-75% loss due to a big wind or 5% moisture .
              I have seen the 50 % loss , I will take the 5 % .
              The rain event missed us here , as per normal . We had that light rain last night but looks like most is staying south .
              So looks like the 5% canola may be 6% today lol lol .
              It was interesting, we had a light rain the other night . Canola went from 5% to 8 % the next day at noon . By 5/6 pm it was already back down to 6% .
              Your never ever guaranteed rain either .

Comment

The only reason we're done is because we are small farmers in today's standards and had a harvest without any rain delays. Also remember we are further south than some of you and get an earlier start too. My race isn't with any one of you.... it's with Mother Nature, if you think I'm going to let dry canola lay in the field prone to wind hoping for a ****ing rain that may never materialize to bring up seed moisture or hopefully wash out an extra percent green,,,, think again!

To each there own.

Edit:.... Oh yeah, what do you think a 27 bu/ac swath looks like? A dense tightly packed swath anchored into long stubble...lol! Nope, a fluffly light swath poorly anchored into poor short stubble. Add to that wide open spaces on rolling land!!!
                Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 13, 2017, 07:14.

Comment

Yup some areas here never got a drop and poof just like that the rain is out of the forecast .
                  How long does one wait ?
                  Yes not ideal at all to combine canola that dry . It sucks . But I am sure it sucked combining tough canola in November after the snow that last lasted a month .
                  Would be nice in a perfect world to do all the cereals dry then get a rain and combine canola at the perfect 10-11 % .
                  I am sure that happens every year lol

Comment

......look at that band of rain from Kindersly/Kerrobert to north of Sktoon to Melfort, **** me. Anyone who doesn't want their's can send it my way.

Comment

why not just add water to your canola to bring it back up to 10%MC? Id never leave swaths exposed to wind, hail, etc. get it in the bin asap

Comment

Exactly MB , just because some of it was harvested at 5% does not mean it will be sold at 5 % .
                        Some just assume I guess .
                        Straight cut canola yesterday was 8.9 % , thought that was ok

Comment

Fama

Your are right, run your own race . easy to add moisture hard to put the little seeds back in the pods once they are scattered and shattered. We ran in the heat on standing L252 6 % but in the bins the driest and hottest stuff went into aeration the fans are running today with the bit of rain and the high humidity will monitor the cables for moisture get it up to 8 or 8.5 and be happy not worrying about the big wind that tends to come with the fronts that bring the rain.

Comment

Sometimes it's just human nature to assume the other guy has no clue , lol . Happens a lot but that has not changed in the past 100 years of farming and probably won't in the next 100 .
                            Makes farmers an interesting group for sure

Comment

Okay MB or who ever has been successfully adding water to dry canola, please describe how you did this. Hearing lots about this lately, but nobody has done it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...