• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growing Soybeans

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing Soybeans

What are guys seeing with soybeans that are being grown out of the traditional soybean areas (if there is a traditional soybean area in Western Canada)?

I'm watching some in our area. Shorter than other years and there is some pod set with two to three beans per pod. There are aborted attempts on some pod setting (are they indeterminate?). I think they are shutting down early because they are running out of water here. Do the cold nights trigger them to shut down?

There is the odd wreck where the grower is relying on too much RR technology (the wrecks are in both soybeans and canola crops). Bean crops that can't compete with volunteer RR canola and a lack of rain have them looking fukin dismal.

What are the drought beans going to yeild?
    Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 5, 2017, 07:29.

The ones beside us wont give seed back . Im staying out of the bean buisness after seeing this field. Peas beside went over 60

Comment

The limiting factor in the Slum of the Ghetto would likely be precipitation. I think we can squeeze them through with the heat units but moisture can be elusive...especially in August, typically thunder shower lottery luck! Then soil type...would probably only ever grow them on our clay based dirt, I don't see light high and dry dirt as suitable unless I'm "guaranteed" adequate moisture.

Comment

I grew DeKalb 2260. They started to shut down a week ago. I would expect some kind of yield if it froze. They are highly variable showing every tractor track/compaction, and every saline spot in the field, much more so then any crop I have ever grown. They range from ankle high to over the knees. Pods range from 15-20 in the poor spots to 30-45 in the good spots. Not sure if they are all filling as I haven't looked at them in a couple weeks. I really hope they work out as I need another crop in my rotation.

Comment

Those 2260's and the P0007's from PHI look like they will work in most areas.
          Time will tell with combines later

Comment

Farma they need water. If u don't got it in august yield does take a hit. 3 seeds goes to 2 generally. Need no frost til 10th of September helps as well. Seed into warm soil and they come up way better. Planter versus drill we found doesn't matter as much. Need a flex header tho. Pods aren't to high off the ground most years. This year seems to be the exception. They generally don't look to impressive til mid July then they start to take off. We seed M2's and Watsons along with Torros. Watsons are early and pod nice. Couple weeks and we will know this years outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              What are guys seeing with soybeans that are being grown out of the traditional soybean areas (if there is a traditional soybean area in Western Canada)?

I'm watching some in our area. Shorter than other years and there is some pod set with two to three beans per pod. There are aborted attempts on some pod setting (are they indeterminate?). I think they are shutting down early because they are running out of water here. Do the cold nights trigger them to shut down?

There is the odd wreck where the grower is relying on too much RR technology (the wrecks are in both soybeans and canola crops). Bean crops that can't compete with volunteer RR canola and a lack of rain have them looking fukin dismal.

What are the drought beans going to yeild?

The soybeans around Regina that I drive by every day look like thay may not give the seed back. Ain't worth a hill-o-beans, so they say.

Comment

Beans around Humboldt on the light land are screwed. Dropped their leaves 10 days ago beans are tiny some pods just aborted. Maybe 10-15 at the most... Hoping ours run 25 on really wet swamp ground... Funny that quarter was 118 acres at seeding 141 at spraying at it'll be 155 come harvest. We sure gained a tonne of acres this year.

Comment

2260s looking easy 40 plus

Comment

We are seeing the same here . All the fall discing and harrowing last fall gain us nearly 200 seedable acres this spring . And those areas are producing extremely well .
                    I know some may think tillage is absolutely evil but in some areas it's a nesesary evil .
                    Much more profitable than pay $100 / ac for marginal land that got burnt out this July .

Comment

Grew the 87000R2X from Thunder Seeds. Planted about the 6th or 7th of May. Looked great up until about the 20th of July. Some 4 and 5(rare) seeds in a pod. Mostly 3. Top pods aborted and plants have pretty much completely burnt down except for some low spots. Will run them through a combine in a week to 10 days. No idea on yield, but I'm amazed there's even anything there considering we've had no significant moisture since the 30th of June.

Comment

Last nights temp will have them shit down big time. They need a big August rain

Comment

We will see , it happened to us last year on one end of the field with later beans , but that was end of Aug frost that nipped them on a much later maturity bean .
                          Beans were maturing very well already and just filling the last of the pods .
                          Will be interesting with no August rains.
                          Lots of pods and lots of 3-4 beans in a pod . So time will tell . Every year different and very big difference between some varieties

Comment

I haven't seen any 40 BU per acre beans, not even Red River Valley. I am thinking just over 30 catches most that have had moisture. Think there will be lots less.
                            Was also not particularly warm, barely average at best, and that will be a factor, plus as mentioned cool nights detract from what heat we had as they need to recover.
                            Moisture is still the most limiting factor. and had we not had good reserves, it would be ugly.
                            Guys have to figure about 0.3 inches of water per day at peak times, or 2.1 inches per week. Water will be the most limiting factor.

Comment

there will 55 bu yields in the RRV where rain fell in july. other areas that missed all the rains still looking at 30 - 45 bpa, lots of sub soil moisture kept them going into pod fill.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.