• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gerry Ritz Member of parliament resignation announcement.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gerry Ritz Member of parliament resignation announcement.

Just wondering what everyone thinks of the accomplishments of former ag minister Gerry Ritz.

I believe he did what he thought would improve Canadian agriculture.
    While I only met him a few times, I think he did a decent job as ag minister.

Any other opinions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ritz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	777698

Didn't finish the job with the open market...no checks and balances

Along with the provinces, gutted Ag-Stability and reduced Ag-Invest Gov matching contributions.

Grain Commission "modernization"....that resulted in less Producer support and a healthy surplus from fees.

Did they ever do much in the BSE crisis for the Producer? Encourage beef farming and expansion before the crisis then turn their back on the farmers. Packers anyone?

Comment

Took the handcuffs off of selling wheat. That alone was enough.

Comment

That wasn't done for us that was done for
        The grain cos. The only way it benefits us is we get our money right away but we're still being screwed even worse now they don't buy certain grades here or
        There etc. No regulations on grading and wheat classes has left a cluster fk.

Destroyed food safety inspections both at the slaughter and restaurant level. It's scarey to eat some places. And labelling of food origins is a joke.

Destroyed the grow forward programs
        Although as we see broad ass etc seem to get millions out of these things.

Transportation never was fixed.

I guess yes the board had to go because it refused to change with the times.
        But if we had some sort of selling clout we d be better off if it actually functioned properly. Not only for
        Wheat.

What did he do for seed that you can't use your own?

Over all took more power from producers and handed it to the big boys.

Comment

But in his defence no one did anything on their own under Harper.

Comment

In a round table meeting with him once...seem to look at his underlings for answers quite often, said he would get back to me on one point he couldn't answer, but never did.
            Didn't like how he handled the BSE lawsuit, however no one has after him either.....
            He was a good speaker though.......knew the right words........

Comment

Sold the cwb to the Saudis. ...he has to be proud of that. ...

Comment

cwb would not have done much with low global wheat prices.
                at least ritz made marketing freedom happen.

Comment

Marketing freedom is about a transparent industry that allows a farmer to make better decisions....

We don't have that. ....

Comment

Good riddance Yerry you flaming piece shit.

Comment

He was a good leader and got a major project done that nobody else finished for the previous 75 years.
                      He did good things for Agriculture.
                      The ag minister today is pretty much non-existent other than boosting for a carbon tax.

The CWB crowd will never be happy but they have seemed to be moved onto other causes like carbon taxes and environmental issues.

Comment

That's excessive I think anyway. Don't think he deserves that far.
                        There are farmers that don't want any programs any crop insurance etc etc so he did represent them well.
                        Trouble is I know a few and now that the drought has struck they wish. Top insurance was even better. Lol.

Comment

Would have to agree Oliver
                          Although not a great transition to open market it is far better than under cwb imo
                          Canola and pulse crops made most farms wealthy for the most part the past 30 years , certainly not board grains .
                          It's a different world now and guys need to open up to it.
                          I love the fact to be able to sell wheat at how much and at what price fits us.
                          For the first time in 70 years one can use hrsw as a cash crop
                          Just delivered and sold 1000 tn basically off combine on foreword contract wheat .
                          Got paid 100% for it and it's gone .
                          Elevator happy and we happy .
                          Imo better than the pulse , pea industry that can be a royal pain in the ass at times .

Comment

Yup if you are on the west or east sides of Saskatchewan you can move grain.....it's better for the grain cos to call closer to port facilities...

Locally two elevators have cars sitting for two weeks....one loaded with grain ....the other half empty waiting for head office to make up their minds....

I am not saying the cwb would solve the problem but mid point sask is in lala land where movement is a challenge. ...haul it everyone says....cheaper not likely time or equipment wise....

Comment

Give Ritz credit for following through with the initiative on ending CWB.
                              Board supporters at University of Sask were suggesting a year's delay.
                              That would have put it right in the middle of the of 2013-14 shipping problem.
                              Might still have had things the same as past 75 years.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...